2019 Titleist Ultimate Metal Woods and Golf Ball Testing

I suggest we follow this groups procedure and just say “Good. Good. Good” if we run into this monster. Good find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we run into him? I’m all about good, good, good from about 200 out. Only way I keep my handicap low

Had my fitting yesterday at a Titleist Thursday event at Torrey Pines. Started out ok, and was starting to get everything dialed in when we had to stop. So wasn't able to get fully situated with the driver and fairway wood. Luckily TPI has an opening, and I'll be able to finish the fitting there on Monday.

Had my fitting yesterday at a Titleist Thursday event at Torrey Pines. Started out ok, and was starting to get everything dialed in when we had to stop. So wasn't able to get fully situated with the driver and fairway wood. Luckily TPI has an opening, and I'll be able to finish the fitting there on Monday.

Looking forward to reading more about your experience and what you are eventually fit into!

TS4 released today and available to public in June. Wishing I could have tried this one out as my fitter kept working to keep spin down.

Post some questions here about TS4 and we’ll be sure to ask Titleist folks later this month during the Ultimate Testing event!

TS4 released today and available to public in June. Wishing I could have tried this one out as my fitter kept working to keep spin down.

Post some questions here about TS4 and we’ll be sure to ask Titleist folks later this month during the Ultimate Testing event!

There is a full TS4 thread up as well.

There is a full TS4 thread up as well.

Will be sure to checkout that thread for questions for the Titleist guys! Thanks @JB

LONG POST WARNING....

Nothing like taking it down to the wire. I FINALLY got my fitting done. Well, I technically got two fittings done. Last week I was setup to go to Torrey Pines where they had a Titleist Thursday event. I got there almost 45 minutes prior to my appointment time since I was so excited to finally get the fitting process completed. No worries, I'll just take in the sites.

fullsizeoutput_3ef.jpeg

After watching a few groups tee off, it was finally time for me to go do work. I go over to the range and check in with Travis. He tells me he is a little behind and I can start hitting balls right over there while I wait. I told him not a problem, take your time. If you have never done a Titleist Thursday, it is actually a pretty cool deal. It's a free 45 minute fitting of wedges, irons, or driver/fairway wood. They have pretty much all the offerings you can get, but COULD possibly not have the absolute right fit for you. As put by my fitter, "I wish I would have known you were coming, I would have brought other/more shaft options"

I don't know if every Titleist Thursday has it, but my fitter had the infamous Trackman fullsizeoutput_3f0.jpeg

He also had all the main goods I needed to be fit for IMG_4158.JPG

So I get started. He tosses me a ball and I send it downrange. I have no idea what setup he gave me, other than it was a white ProjectX shaft to begin with. I hit 2-3 balls with it and he took it back and swapped something around. In hind sight, I should have been paying a little more attention, but I really didn't want to know the setup prior to hitting. I wanted to have a clear head on the setup he thought would work best for my shots. I hit 2-3 more with that setup when the people on the far end of the range started waving at us. WHOOPS! He swaps in a Tensei Orange and asks me to hit another to see what I think. I hit one. It flew through to the other side again, only this time a little straighter, but again we got waved and yelled at. We're done. Seriously no more than 10 hits and I have to stop since the range is too short. Travis was at a loss for words. He said he could make a recommendation based off the limited hits he has seen, and he would be confident in what he chose, but we HAD to stop hitting driver. I said ok, I guess we'll try the fairway woods, and I'm going to have to trust your choice. I need to get this fitting done. How many hits did we get with the fairway wood? Good question. No more than three, then you guessed it, I had to stop again. He aimed me out over the side of the range thinking I could hit into the fence, and I hit maybe three more, before he stopped me again. We're done, done. He doesn't want to cause any issues with Torrey and cause any rifts. I get it.

Travis says he'll put together an order that he thinks will definitely work for me, but it's going to be a strong guess and not something that is fully fitted. He says that the Titleist Performance Institute would be perfect if I could swing it, as they would have all the shafts and for sure the distance necessary for me to swing without repercussion. He told me they can be pretty busy and they may not have an availability in such short notice. He fits me in the TS2 with Tensei Orange for driver and the TS2 with ProjectX for fairway wood.

So I reach out to the other guys about this. I show them some of my numbers, and the Chris' bring up the fact they are ordering the same 60g shaft weight as I am but are a little slower in swing speed. The shaft I have in my driver now is 70g. And just like that I am wishing I could have got a more thorough fitting. To no fault of Travis, I didn't feel 100% fully dialed in. As if something was left on the table. So I reach out to JB, to just give him a heads up on the situation and try to find out what the absolute last day would be in order for me to get another fitting done. He lets me know he can get a couple days' extension, but not much else he can really do to help me. That's understandable. I shouldn't have put off the fitting this long. I tell him I'm going to reach out to TPI and hope for the best, otherwise I'll try to find another fitting option somewhere/somehow.

I reach out to TPI first thing in the morning when they open, and as luck would have it, I'm told they have openings on Mon, Thurs, and Fri of next week. YES! Sign me up for Monday! The weekend CANNOT pass fast enough for me. I'm truly stoked to be able to go to the people themselves, at their facility, to get my fitting done. Two rounds of golf later, and it is Monday. Normally I can't stand Mondays, but not this one. The morning better pass by quickly so I can get to this fitting. I try to do a better job timing my arrival, and as luck would have it I get there right on time. Why, hello TPI...
fullsizeoutput_40a.jpeg

Well, they definitely look like they will have enough room for me.
fullsizeoutput_411.jpeg

I wish I would have taken more photos. In reality, I am REALLY bad at that. But I get inside and there is a receptionist and two gentlemen at the front desk, with one of them turning out to be my fitter. He introduces himself as Lucas and we get my bag and he points me to their locker room so I can change my shoes and get sunscreen and the like. We then head out to their playground. This place is immaculate. Multiple greens, bunkers, and three long fairway style "ranges", all in one open area. Nothing is out of place, and not one detail was overlooked. I would pay Titleist a monthly fee to be able to have unlimited access to this oasis. As we are walking over to where he will be fitting me, I tell Lucas about the event and what happened at Torrey. We get to one of the fairways, and he tells me to go ahead and start hitting some balls as if I was going to go play a round of golf. He tells me that their architect prefers checkered style divots compared to patches, but other than that, hit away. He goes to get a Trackman and gets everything setup. When he's done, I'm ready and we get to work.

He gives me a club and I start hitting balls. I'm a few balls in and he's already telling the group next to us my numbers. I don't think he truly believed me when I told him about Torrey...I run through a gamut of shafts it seems like, as he works to dial me in to the right setup for me. As a last check, he sets up a steel shaft with the TS2 head. He says not many people can make this work, and our head guru has named this shaft the Undertaker as it requires quite a bit of strength to be able to use properly. The first swing I make it feels like I am swinging a sledgehammer. It felt like one solid piece and I didn't hit it great. The second one, however went far and straight since I had an idea of what this club does. But something just felt off. Lucas proceeds to tell me that the shaft was actually shorter than what I had been swinging. He pops the steel shaft out and lets me know we are set for driver. He starts to set up the fairway wood, and I remark that I told Travis I have all but forgotten how to hit a fairway wood as I don't even have one in my bag. Lucas tells me that this club is to be hit off a tee for you, and if I ever see you using it in the fairway I'll smack you. Fair enough. He only makes a couple changes with the fairway wood, and tells me we are all set. He loved my numbers pretty much right from the get go. Great angles, great speed, great distance, and S.T.R.A.I.G.H.T. He tells me this club might actually be even better for me off the tee than the driver.

If you can make it work, I HIGHLY recommend getting a fitting done at TPI. This process was worth every single penny spent. I had always thought of going here, and had it not been for THP I probably never would have pulled the trigger on going. But I am so glad that I did, and now wish I would have gone sooner. This experience was unbelievable, and I am sure is indicative of the ball fitting we have in store for us in GA.

TL : DR -- these are what I got fitted for:

TS2 (8.5 degree)
Dexterity: RH
SureFit Hosel Setting: D-1
SureFit Weight: +6 g
Length: -0.5"
Shaft (Flex): Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 (6.5)
Grip (Size): Golf Pride Decade Multi Compound Red Mid (Standard)
Comments: TIP 1" TOTAL

TS3 (13.5 degree)
SureFit CG Setting: Neutral
Comments: TIP 1.5" TOTAL

LONG POST WARNING....

Nothing like taking it down to the wire. I FINALLY got my fitting done. Well, I technically got two fittings done. Last week I was setup to go to Torrey Pines where they had a Titleist Thursday event. I got there almost 45 minutes prior to my appointment time since I was so excited to finally get the fitting process completed. No worries, I'll just take in the sites.

View attachment 38520

After watching a few groups tee off, it was finally time for me to go do work. I go over to the range and check in with Travis. He tells me he is a little behind and I can start hitting balls right over there while I wait. I told him not a problem, take your time. If you have never done a Titleist Thursday, it is actually a pretty cool deal. It's a free 45 minute fitting of wedges, irons, or driver/fairway wood. They have pretty much all the offerings you can get, but COULD possibly not have the absolute right fit for you. As put by my fitter, "I wish I would have known you were coming, I would have brought other/more shaft options"

I don't know if every Titleist Thursday has it, but my fitter had the infamous Trackman View attachment 38521

He also had all the main goods I needed to be fit for View attachment 38522

So I get started. He tosses me a ball and I send it downrange. I have no idea what setup he gave me, other than it was a white ProjectX shaft to begin with. I hit 2-3 balls with it and he took it back and swapped something around. In hind sight, I should have been paying a little more attention, but I really didn't want to know the setup prior to hitting. I wanted to have a clear head on the setup he thought would work best for my shots. I hit 2-3 more with that setup when the people on the far end of the range started waving at us. WHOOPS! He swaps in a Tensei Orange and asks me to hit another to see what I think. I hit one. It flew through to the other side again, only this time a little straighter, but again we got waved and yelled at. We're done. Seriously no more than 10 hits and I have to stop since the range is too short. Travis was at a loss for words. He said he could make a recommendation based off the limited hits he has seen, and he would be confident in what he chose, but we HAD to stop hitting driver. I said ok, I guess we'll try the fairway woods, and I'm going to have to trust your choice. I need to get this fitting done. How many hits did we get with the fairway wood? Good question. No more than three, then you guessed it, I had to stop again. He aimed me out over the side of the range thinking I could hit into the fence, and I hit maybe three more, before he stopped me again. We're done, done. He doesn't want to cause any issues with Torrey and cause any rifts. I get it.

Travis says he'll put together an order that he thinks will definitely work for me, but it's going to be a strong guess and not something that is fully fitted. He says that the Titleist Performance Institute would be perfect if I could swing it, as they would have all the shafts and for sure the distance necessary for me to swing without repercussion. He told me they can be pretty busy and they may not have an availability in such short notice. He fits me in the TS2 with Tensei Orange for driver and the TS2 with ProjectX for fairway wood.

So I reach out to the other guys about this. I show them some of my numbers, and the Chris' bring up the fact they are ordering the same 60g shaft weight as I am but are a little slower in swing speed. The shaft I have in my driver now is 70g. And just like that I am wishing I could have got a more thorough fitting. To no fault of Travis, I didn't feel 100% fully dialed in. As if something was left on the table. So I reach out to JB, to just give him a heads up on the situation and try to find out what the absolute last day would be in order for me to get another fitting done. He lets me know he can get a couple days' extension, but not much else he can really do to help me. That's understandable. I shouldn't have put off the fitting this long. I tell him I'm going to reach out to TPI and hope for the best, otherwise I'll try to find another fitting option somewhere/somehow.

I reach out to TPI first thing in the morning when they open, and as luck would have it, I'm told they have openings on Mon, Thurs, and Fri of next week. YES! Sign me up for Monday! The weekend CANNOT pass fast enough for me. I'm truly stoked to be able to go to the people themselves, at their facility, to get my fitting done. Two rounds of golf later, and it is Monday. Normally I can't stand Mondays, but not this one. The morning better pass by quickly so I can get to this fitting. I try to do a better job timing my arrival, and as luck would have it I get there right on time. Why, hello TPI...
View attachment 38523

View attachment 38524

I wish I would have taken more photos. In reality, I am REALLY bad at that. But I get inside and there is a receptionist and two gentlemen at the front desk, with one of them turning out to be my fitter. He introduces himself as Lucas and we get my bag and he points me to their locker room so I can change my shoes and get sunscreen and the like. We then head out to their playground. This place is immaculate. Multiple greens, bunkers, and three long fairway style "ranges", all in one open area. Nothing is out of place, and not one detail was overlooked. I would pay Titleist a monthly fee to be able to have unlimited access to this oasis. As we are walking over to where he will be fitting me, I tell Lucas about the event and what happened at Torrey. We get to one of the fairways, and he tells me to go ahead and start hitting some balls as if I was going to go play a round of golf. He tells me that their architect prefers checkered style divots compared to patches, but other than that, hit away. He goes to get a Trackman and gets everything setup. When he's done, I'm ready and we get to work.

He gives me a club and I start hitting balls. I'm a few balls in and he's already telling the group next to us my numbers. I don't think he truly believed me when I told him about Torrey...I run through a gamut of shafts it seems like, as he works to dial me in to the right setup for me. As a last check, he sets up a steel shaft with the TS2 head. He says not many people can make this work, and our head guru has named this shaft the Undertaker as it requires quite a bit of strength to be able to use properly. The first swing I make it feels like I am swinging a sledgehammer. It felt like one solid piece and I didn't hit it great. The second one, however went far and straight since I had an idea of what this club does. But something just felt off. Lucas proceeds to tell me that the shaft was actually shorter than what I had been swinging. He pops the steel shaft out and lets me know we are set for driver. He starts to set up the fairway wood, and I remark that I told Travis I have all but forgotten how to hit a fairway wood as I don't even have one in my bag. Lucas tells me that this club is to be hit off a tee for you, and if I ever see you using it in the fairway I'll smack you. Fair enough. He only makes a couple changes with the fairway wood, and tells me we are all set. He loved my numbers pretty much right from the get go. Great angles, great speed, great distance, and S.T.R.A.I.G.H.T. He tells me this club might actually be even better for me off the tee than the driver.

If you can make it work, I HIGHLY recommend getting a fitting done at TPI. This process was worth every single penny spent. I had always thought of going here, and had it not been for THP I probably never would have pulled the trigger on going. But I am so glad that I did, and now wish I would have gone sooner. This experience was unbelievable, and I am sure is indicative of the ball fitting we have in store for us in GA.

TS2 (8.5 degree)

TS3 (13.5 degree)

Pure Awesomeness

That's amazing. TPI seems like such a cool place.

80g Driver shaft is beastly

LONG POST WARNING....

View attachment 38520

I don't know if every Titleist Thursday has it, but my fitter had the infamous Trackman View attachment 38521

View attachment 38523

View attachment 38524

TS2 (8.5 degree)

TS3 (13.5 degree)

Strong like BULL!

Loved your experience and glad you got fit right.

LONG POST WARNING....

View attachment 38520

View attachment 38523

View attachment 38524

TS2 (8.5 degree)

TS3 (13.5 degree)

Please make sure to send fitting info to the original email so we can get your clubs ordered. So glad it worked out well.

LONG POST WARNING....

View attachment 38520

View attachment 38523

View attachment 38524

TS2 (8.5 degree)

TS3 (13.5 degree)

BEAST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TS2 (8.5 degree)

TS3 (13.5 degree)

Awesome Man. Glad they finally got you what you needed, a driving range longer than 400yds :bomb:. I can't wait to watch you hit that thing.

I about fell over when you told us they had you in a 60g shaft at first with your speeds.

New custom towels came in today for the group.

14838be98e5f8eb9234fcbb1728fc8e5.jpg

New custom towels came in today for the group.

14838be98e5f8eb9234fcbb1728fc8e5.jpg

These are awesome. Thanks

Looking forward to the event.

@JB....please pm me. Thanks

We are still 10 days out but I am ready to hit the road for Savannah.

We have managed to get to know each other pretty well over the endless text thread this last month but I am excited to finally meet the group in person. I know the whole group is ready to see Slimjim32 on the driving range.

We have managed to get to know each other pretty well over the endless text thread this last month but I am excited to finally meet the group in person. I know the whole group is ready to see Slimjim32 on the driving range.

A THP Event last weekend and another begins in 2 days. A good chance to check out the Live Update thread and see what they are like.

A THP Event last weekend and another begins in 2 days. A good chance to check out the Live Update thread and see what they are like.

They don't suck I can tell you that!!!!!!!!!

Excited to follow this one. Titleist is going to kill it once again.

For sure! Last weekend was awesome and looking forward to this weekend!

Guys we should've went to the RBC Heritage and spent the extra days playing in Hilton Head leading up to the Event!!

For sure! Last weekend was awesome and looking forward to this weekend!

Well you will miss it then haha.
This one is Wednesday and Thursday : )

Well you will miss it then haha.
This one is Wednesday and Thursday : )

@JB you have to forgive Sizzle. He's been working so hard that he only knows what day it is because it's the last day of tax season. LOL!!!!!

Back