TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver

Got this out today 11.5*/PX yella and this thing screams fairways played just 9 and hit it on 4 holes and hit 3/4 fairways. Distance is great not as long as my driver but definitely longer than a three wood. Not much movement for me just straight mid to high ball flight looked spiny to me. Don’t really want it competing with my driver. The one fairway missed I was trying to turn one over and left it right missed fw by 10 yds was still able to go for the par 5 in 2. Fun club to hit hard to describe the sound but I enjoying hitting this thing it’s fun to hit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sound is a thud. Feels and sounds very solid.

Still rusty. Don’t judge.

749eb20dd02f4d882303ac4e2c173398.jpg

That's awesome.

Played again today and was 3 for 3 on fairways hit. I also hit it from the fairway onto the 18th green pin high from 252 yards. This will replace my Callaway X2 Hot 2Deep that's been in my bag for 6 years. I trimmed mine to 43.5", an inch shorter than my driver and put the same Rogue I/O Silver 110msi shaft in it. Absolutely love the sound and the accuracy. Today with very wet fairways(no carts allowed which only happens about 6 times a year) averaged about 255 off the tee with it.

Love my 11.5. Hit it great the first time out with the stock stiff, but honestly I think the stock shaft is weak. Hoping to find a good 70 gram shaft to drop in it.

Love my 11.5. Hit it great the first time out with the stock stiff, but honestly I think the stock shaft is weak. Hoping to find a good 70 gram shaft to drop in it.

I hated the stock shaft. Hooky and high for me. It's like a different club with the Aldila Rogue 70 I/O Silver I have in it now. I have my 13.5* dialed down to 11.5* which also gives me an open face look that I love. I also have a Tensei Ck Orange 65x on order that I hit great on the range.

Mine arrived this afternoon. Only had a chance to hit it in my backyard into a net. Holy cow this thing is gonna be a gamechanger off the deck for me. I was flushing the ball time after time off the deck. Bye bye 3wood.

Played again today and was 3 for 3 on fairways hit. I also hit it from the fairway onto the 18th green pin high from 252 yards. This will replace my Callaway X2 Hot 2Deep that's been in my bag for 6 years. I trimmed mine to 43.5", an inch shorter than my driver and put the same Rogue I/O Silver 110msi shaft in it. Absolutely love the sound and the accuracy. Today with very wet fairways(no carts allowed which only happens about 6 times a year) averaged about 255 off the tee with it.

Since this type of club invites discussion about bag setup, I was first thinking of asking you to breakdown what you are seeing for gapping on your Driver-OriginalOne-4w. Then I noticed you don't carry a 5-iron, which also is interesting. Knockdown 4-irons? No need for that slot on your course? Just wondering... mostly about if you are seeing functional gapping on the top end. Thanks!

Since this type of club invites discussion about bag setup, I was first thinking of asking you to breakdown what you are seeing for gapping on your Driver-OriginalOne-4w. Then I noticed you don't carry a 5-iron, which also is interesting. Knockdown 4-irons? No need for that slot on your course? Just wondering... mostly about if you are seeing functional gapping on the top end. Thanks!

Good catch, I need to update my signature. My old course in California had no 5 iron shots, so I pulled it. My new course sometimes has a 5 iron shot but very rarely a 4 iron shot so my 4 iron got pulled. I still carry the old Titleist 3 iron/driving iron that is a 215 yard club and gaps to my 5 iron that I can push to 195+. It’s pretty easy for me to choke down on the 3 iron and hit it 200 so the gap there is not a big deal. My 4 wood goes about 235 from the fairway and a bit farther from the tee. I need more time with the Mini but I’m expecting it to carry about 245 and roll another 10-15 depending upon shot shape and conditions.

Good catch, I need to update my signature. My old course in California had no 5 iron shots, so I pulled it. My new course sometimes has a 5 iron shot but very rarely a 4 iron shot so my 4 iron got pulled. I still carry the old Titleist 3 iron/driving iron that is a 215 yard club and gaps to my 5 iron that I can push to 195+. It’s pretty easy for me to choke down on the 3 iron and hit it 200 so the gap there is not a big deal. My 4 wood goes about 235 from the fairway and a bit farther from the tee. I need more time with the Mini but I’m expecting it to carry about 245 and roll another 10-15 depending upon shot shape and conditions.

I appreciate the reply. I currently have 3-4-5 hybrids/irons all in the bag so Original one would be an either/or with my 3/4w most likely. Still comfy with my 3w but fascinated. Very fascinated.

Maybe a dumb question, but is the Mini adapter the same as the adapter for the M5/M6 drivers? I found an Even Flow Max Carry 45 on the Bay, and I may have cut down to plug into this bad boy.

Right now I'm finding the thriver easy to hit off the deck (which may say something about my swing) but this is still in the back of my head.

Additionally, my local store has already sold out of their initial order of these. While I think they only got about 15, that's still absurd for a niche club.

I’m finding the Mini has more draw tendency than my driver or other fairway woods, Even with the face angle sitting a few degrees open with the stock 13.5* adjusted down to 11.5*. It’s my preferred shot shape and should take my right misses completely out of the equation.

Maybe a dumb question, but is the Mini adapter the same as the adapter for the M5/M6 drivers? I found an Even Flow Max Carry 45 on the Bay, and I may have cut down to plug into this bad boy.
It is!
Right now I'm finding the thriver easy to hit off the deck (which may say something about my swing) but this is still in the back of my head.

Additionally, my local store has already sold out of their initial order of these. While I think they only got about 15, that's still absurd for a niche club.
The store I bought mine at the day they released some 11 that day. Which is a bit insane.
I’m finding the Mini has more draw tendency than my driver or other fairway woods, Even with the face angle sitting a few degrees open with the stock 13.5* adjusted down to 11.5*. It’s my preferred shot shape and should take my right misses completely out of the equation.
I’ve been able to consistently hit it down the left side which is a big deal for me, haha

Bought this to replace a three wood that I don't use much. Was much lower spin at 13.5 than my driver. Very straight, about 20 yards less than driver but very stable club. Impressed.

Haven’t tried this yet bc I can’t find it anywhere near me.

Jman- you have experience with the ping gmax driver. How does it compare to it?

I'm not jman but I play the g400 max driver and now this as three wood/thriver.

Gmax in 10.5 spins a lot more for me, and is about 20 yards longer. I think on most holes there's a pretty clear choice. I do think there is a lot more forgiveness in the original one than a normal 3 wood. Which is nice.

Haven’t tried this yet bc I can’t find it anywhere near me.

Jman- you have experience with the ping gmax driver. How does it compare to it?

Played Max all last season.

This for me in stock setup spins similar, with the changes I made it’s lower spin than I saw out of my Max last year.

Ball speed won’t be as high as a driver (though it’s closer than 3w for me) and it simply cannot be as forgiving as a 460cc head. But, there’s more playability packed into it than I expected.

It’s not going to be a driver replacement. But, it’s also not intended to be.

Still interested in this thread, and why it may be an ideal option for me.

I’ve played the second driver before, and it general it’s more accurate than the long driver but not by a huge amount.

Just checked my stats for the year. Now I’m using shotscope sparingly but think there’s enough data to provide trends.
Fw %: 47 with driver, 89 with 4 wood, 100 with heavenwood.

P-avg (it’s probably ~5 yards longer than a solid hit would average for me): 252 with driver, 224 with 4w, 218 with heavenwood.

My swing with fairway wood is much more reliable, but leaves me short in comparison to driver. I hardly ever hit 4w off the deck.

A mini playing at 43” makes a ton of sense, in that I should be able to swing it similar to a fairway, but shorten the distance gap between driver and hw.

Played a round today and pulled the mini out on a 270 yard par 4 dogleg (super short). Drove to the back of the green and made an easy birdie. Playing tomorrow and may have to use it a lot more.

Hoping the rain lets me get some more LM time on this one this week!

Anyone else get to hit this beast yet?

Screams Beags to me.

Back