How much concern should this cause..?

Sun and water didn't do that to them. I split them open on purpose.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A PVC pipe cutter is cheap - the butcher job on those balls looks like it will transfer easily to fingers and hands at some point.

A PVC pipe cutter is cheap - the butcher job on those balls looks like it will transfer easily to fingers and hands at some point.
Eh, I'll live. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

Are you cutting those with teeth?
I tried, but I broke a tooth and had to resort to a sledgehammer and a sharp rock.

Hello all, sorry for jumping in late to this conversation. While there is LOTS I would want to say, I will try and keep it brief and too the point.

First of all, we absolutely do not like to see any quality issues with any of our products. But, to most of the conversation here, there can be escapes and that is what we work tremendously hard to avoid. That is what happened in this situation. We are in the midst of a MULTI YEAR capital improvement plan at our plant in Chicopee, MA which will mean we will be able to offer even greater performance and quality. Combined with the incredible R&D resources we have working on bringing new Innovations to market, we are even more excited about our Golf Ball Business.

Do we test several of our competitor products as well and know much about performance and quality of them, yes. Will we talk about them, very rarely. My choice is to focus on what we do and our business and market share - if they would like to spend more time on us, that is their choice.

Bottom line, for what it's worth, we are improving EVERY DAY and striving to have world class products while driving performance differences and innovations in the category. Thank you for your support. Look forward to having a couple THP members to Chicopee in a few months to show off what we have done!

Well said Finley!

Hello all, sorry for jumping in late to this conversation. While there is LOTS I would want to say, I will try and keep it brief and too the point.

First of all, we absolutely do not like to see any quality issues with any of our products. But, to most of the conversation here, there can be escapes and that is what we work tremendously hard to avoid. That is what happened in this situation. We are in the midst of a MULTI YEAR capital improvement plan at our plant in Chicopee, MA which will mean we will be able to offer even greater performance and quality. Combined with the incredible R&D resources we have working on bringing new Innovations to market, we are even more excited about our Golf Ball Business.

Do we test several of our competitor products as well and know much about performance and quality of them, yes. Will we talk about them, very rarely. My choice is to focus on what we do and our business and market share - if they would like to spend more time on us, that is their choice.

Bottom line, for what it's worth, we are improving EVERY DAY and striving to have world class products while driving performance differences and innovations in the category. Thank you for your support. Look forward to having a couple THP members to Chicopee in a few months to show off what we have done!

I feel like a certain media outlet is taking way to much credit and chest thumping for "catalyzing" a response. Which is sad, because of the sensationalist nature of the reporting. I've no doubt Callaway has been working on ball quality for a long time, as have all ball makers. Hardly new news that consistency is the name of the game, and QA is never perfect. The rest is anecdotal without serious volumes of data to backup the mudslingning.

Thanks nonetheless for sharing whats going on behind the scenes at the plant, being a GREAT part of our THP golf community, as well as moving forward innovations in golf ball optics (Truvis, TT) that are probably the functional biggest innovation of the last 20 years. Callaway brings great products to golf. It's great to know that future Callaway balls will be even better.

As Finley has said, it's a manufactured product, nothing is perfect, they're working hard to improve their quality with substantial capital improvements which is a multi-year project to improve product and performance. I've played and play Callaway balls without any issues and I'll continue to do so. What Finley said only reaffirms Callaway dedication to the ball knowing what they have to do.

Mr. Finley ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this has been posted already as I haven't read the entire thread but isn't this why Bryson was checking his golf balls in water to see if they were balanced or not? Seems that would be a quick way to find a lopsided one before cutting.

What a great professional response Mr Finley, why I love this company.

This is why it is so easy to support Callaway Golf. They take the high road and are honest about the improvements they are making. Very well stated Mr. Finley!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is why it is so easy to support Callaway Golf. They take the high road and are honest about the improvements they are making. Very well stated Mr. Finley!

Not sure exactly what they are being "honest" about. They are "honestly" always working to improve their factory and to produce quality products. Well, yeah, I'm sure they are. But there's no actual information there at all.

Not sure exactly what they are being "honest" about. They are "honestly" always working to improve their factory and to produce quality products. Well, yeah, I'm sure they are. But there's no actual information there at all.

What more do they need to say? How many dollars, nickels, and cents they’re investing in it?

I don’t get the reach of this one. The GLOBAL director coming on here and posting is as honest as it gets imo.

Completely unnecessary, but appreciated. The transparency and over all professional nature Callaway represents makes it easy to support them. Thank you Jason for chiming in.

What more do they need to say? How many dollars, nickels, and cents they’re investing in it?

I don’t get the reach of this one. The GLOBAL director coming on here and posting is as honest as it gets imo.

They don't need to say anything at all. A generic "we're always working hard to improve the quality of our products" statement is perfectly adequate and I would not expect them to say anything else.

I have no quibble with Callaway's product quality or with their presence on social media. I like Callaway and have used lots of their products over the years (none with any quality defects as far as I could tell).

I am only pointing out that there's nothing special or praiseworthy about a corporate spokesman issuing a general reassurance about how seriously they take QC concerns.

Well, the OP's photo got in my head so I am switching from Chromesoft to Pro V1.

Well, the OP's photo got in my head so I am switching from Chromesoft to Pro V1.

if i cut 1,000 prov1s open and find one that is off center, but only post a pic of that one and give you no context about the other 999, will you switch back? i mean seriously, where does it end? NO oem is immune from qc issues. yes, some are worse than others. is callaway worse? i don't know, but nothing in this thread or any click-bait drive-by entertainers (let's be clear, they are NOT journalists) has shown me anything on which to draw a conclusion.

I'm playing on Saturday and the course has tons of places for people to lose balls. Let's see what I can find to hack up.

if i cut 1,000 prov1s open and find one that is off center, but only post a pic of that one and give you no context about the other 999, will you switch back? .

I would not switch back to Chromesoft, but I would find another brand/ball to play, such as Srixon, Bridgestone, TM , Volvik etc....

I would not switch back to Chromesoft, but I would find another brand/ball to play, such as Srixon, Bridgestone, TM , Volvik etc....

Until you see the first photo of the Srixon that looks bad.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm playing on Saturday and the course has tons of places for people to lose balls. Let's see what I can find to hack up.

This is my thought. Since I typically don’t play found balls anymore since moving to a main ball or two, instead of leaving them or handing them to my partner, I’ll just cut them in half and see what’s up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratch Srixon off the list.
a5d3691de6a356bdb28adb8f4c05ca29.jpg

Until you see the first photo of the Srixon that looks bad.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yes, but to prevent that from happening I may avoid this thread. To me this subject is a "don't ask, don't tell" type of thing. For example, I don't want to walk thru the kitchen of the restaurant that prepares my dinner .

Bottom line is if you sample enough of any ball, you're going to find imperfections here and there. Should QC catch them? Sure. But when you're running them off in the thousands, a few WILL slip through the cracks.

Scratch Srixon off the list.
a5d3691de6a356bdb28adb8f4c05ca29.jpg

Chromesoft and Srixon now off my golf ball shopping list. While there are still some remaining brands/ball models that I've not seen quality control photos of, I am going to stay out of this thread.
Also, if someone starts a new "defective ball" thread please include in the title a WARNING (so I know that thread is not a good one for me to read). Thanks.

So, out of sight out of mind?

Back