TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

I have M1 Irons and I hit my 7 iron up against the P790 7 iron today. I think the P790 is a pretty forgiving club I love the look, feel and sound of the P790 over my M1's a lot I am sorry to say!! The performance between two was not much different. Probably not enough to justify a change just based on performance but could easily make the switch based on the feel and look of the club alone. My favorite TM club of all time were the Tour Preferred TD Irons that came out around 1990, the long irons 2, 3 and 4 where like a turtle back hollow look with a solid back and the rest of the irons were MB looking with maybe a slightly thicker sole, I loved the feel of those clubs I think these p790's are close to the same feel. I can see myself with a set of the P790's in the near future.

I have M1 Irons and I hit my 7 iron up against the P790 7 iron today. I think the P790 is a pretty forgiving club I love the look, feel and sound of the P790 over my M1's a lot I am sorry to say!! The performance between two was not much different. Probably not enough to justify a change just based on performance but could easily make the switch based on the feel and look of the club alone. My favorite TM club of all time were the Tour Preferred TD Irons that came out around 1990, the long irons 2, 3 and 4 where like a turtle back hollow look with a solid back and the rest of the irons were MB looking with maybe a slightly thicker sole, I loved the feel of those clubs I think these p790's are close to the same feel. I can see myself with a set of the P790's in the near future.

Michael Newton golf..........

P790 vs M1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdfEvsngt4&t=1s

I preordered a set of the P790 4-PW +.50" 1 weak, 1 flat, with Recoil 110s hard stepped x1 and wrapped in GolfPride MCC +4 Align x5 Wraps. We'll see how they play. I plan on practicing 0 times next year so wanted to just play a super high soft draw and rely on chipping and putting to break par.

Thanks. I saw this before I hit the P790,s I like Michael Newtons reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hit both, even owned the M1's before divesting of them. Honestly I saw no similarity between the two irons. The M1's struck me as clunky and harsh with a low ball flight and below average distance. The P790's I've been blown away by, soft, powerful feel, high launching, and above average distance. What also struck me is that even with the face slots on the M1's, I felt the P790's were more forgiving on strikes closer to the toe. I'm seriously pondering a set of P790's right now, haven't been able to get them out of my head.

I've hit both, even owned the M1's before divesting of them. Honestly I saw no similarity between the two irons. The M1's struck me as clunky and harsh with a low ball flight and below average distance. The P790's I've been blown away by, soft, powerful feel, high launching, and above average distance. What also struck me is that even with the face slots on the M1's, I felt the P790's were more forgiving on strikes closer to the toe. I'm seriously pondering a set of P790's right now, haven't been able to get them out of my head.

I feel the same. I'm not a big fan of the feel of the M1s either and I am with you on the forgiveness of the P790. I will end up with the p790s as soon as I can afford them.

I feel the same. I'm not a big fan of the feel of the M1s either and I am with you on the forgiveness of the P790. I will end up with the p790s as soon as I can afford them.

Good luck, I was fit into them. 5-AW, Nippon 950's, 2 Up and Lamkin Z5's. Will probably put the order in on Tuesday.

I'll be able to try the 790's on 9/15 (1 more week). Getting anxious...

Last edited:
Wife and I played in a charity event this morning - these have some real promise

0cdd779df8cc989588108c1afc32392e.jpg

Hitting the PXG irons makes me really want to spend some time with this lineup. Either one really, but more specifically the 790s to see what they are all about.

What's everyone think about them now?

Hitting the PXG irons makes me really want to spend some time with this lineup. Either one really, but more specifically the 790s to see what they are all about.

I think I need a 790 2 iron with a graphite shaft. Juro Kage X tipped 1" if you have one laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been told by a friend that tested these recently that the irons were low spin with a bit different sound at impact.

I think I need a 790 2 iron with a graphite shaft. Juro Kage X tipped 1" if you have one laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is there a P790 2 iron? If so, I want one (16 degrees)!

So is the 790 similar to the TM B in theory? seems to be the same concept of iron. I did like the TM B but wanted to go with a bit more help distance wise.

So is the 790 similar to the TM B in theory? seems to be the same concept of iron. I did like the TM B but wanted to go with a bit more help distance wise.

I only have one round on them but they are definitely a club longer for me, not a distance challenged iron by any stretch. Between 7 and PW I was 10 yards longer on shots, will have to take that into account as I had a lot of long putts yesterday! Will get a round in on Monday and see if that was a fluke but I doubt it.

I preordered a set the very first day, got a hold of another set locally and canceled my order with TM. It's not that the 790 is bad, it's just that it's not as good as the 900 Tour, Apex CF16, Ping i200 in the forgivness and feel department. Compared to those other three clubs it feels dead. Compared to my gamer z745's it feels more penal on off center hits as well as visually not as pretty.

I was super excited about the 790's though, I was hoping it would be the poor mans PXG 0311T, unfortunately it's not. The 0311T feels closer to the i200 or Apex than the 790.

The P790 was tested against the PXG 0311XF model.....results below.
Finding by Michael Newton ......... PXG had the better feel!
Still more spin in the PXG...the P790 is low spin (great for a driver)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOPqdhcP_4

I only have one round on them but they are definitely a club longer for me, not a distance challenged iron by any stretch. Between 7 and PW I was 10 yards longer on shots, will have to take that into account as I had a lot of long putts yesterday! Will get a round in on Monday and see if that was a fluke but I doubt it.

Probably 10 yards longer because the lofts are lower.

How do they feel?

Probably 10 yards longer because the lofts are lower.

How do they feel?

I would agree if I was coming from older irons but I'm not, hard to find something I haven't hit.

For me they felt great, even on strikes off center.

The P790 was tested against the PXG 0311XF model.....results below.
Finding by Michael Newton ......... PXG had the better feel!
Still more spin in the PXG...the P790 is low spin (great for a driver)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOPqdhcP_4

I love the idea of reduced spin!!! That's the last thing I'll ever worry about.

Feel is an interesting conversation. The PXG I hit was really impressive. Sounded very good.

How did you get a set already? Dying to try these out...and drop $1300 for my own set. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back