LONGBALL777

Reaction score
Handicap
I want to have my wedges lie angle adjusted. Is there any way to gauge how may yards right a 1* flat lie angle adjustment would result in? My normal yardage with my gap wedge on a full swing is 100 yards, my driver SS is 85 MPH if that helps.

i don't really think it works that way. all else being equal, a lie angle adjustment is going to move the strike more toward the center of the face, at least that's what i see when i went through this a couple weeks ago. whether the ball goes left or right is dependent on more factors than strike point.

i don't really think it works that way. all else being equal, a lie angle adjustment is going to move the strike more toward the center of the face, at least that's what i see when i went through this a couple weeks ago. whether the ball goes left or right is dependent on more factors than strike point.

I don’t think there’s a set number either. It would be negated I would think by aim adjustment just the same?

I want to have my wedges lie angle adjusted. Is there any way to gauge how may yards right a 1* flat lie angle adjustment would result in? My normal yardage with my gap wedge on a full swing is 100 yards, my driver SS is 85 MPH if that helps.

1*flatter lie on a 100 yard wedge shot, probably you would notice about a 1 yard right bias.

1*flatter lie on a 100 yard wedge shot, probably you would notice about a 1 yard right bias.

Curious, where did you get this from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty certain there is no correlation

I don’t think there’s a set number either. It would be negated I would think by aim adjustment just the same?

what i saw was movement laterally along the face. when we went a little too flat, it's not like i was still hitting the middle of the face but pushing or fading the ball; we saw the strike start to creep too far toward the toe. gear effect and other swing-related variables are going to affect the starting line and shot shape.

Yesterday, I was re-adjusting the loft/lie on my irons since I was missing left of target on what felt like perfect shots. Sure enough, a dynamic lie test confirmed that my clubs were too flat. So, I started to make adjustments in 1/2 deg increments until I was happy with the result - center face strike with mark nearly at a 90 to the grooves.

LIe - 1.jpg

LIe - 2.jpg

LIe - 3.jpg

LIe - 4.jpg

LIe - 5.jpg

LIe - 6.jpg

Curious, where did you get this from?

Well, if a player were to have a longer club lie angle adjusted by 2* , such as 5-iron, on a 175 yard carry shot he would likely notice a shot direction change (compared to his former lie angle), of about 5 to 7 yards.
This is why fitters (before the use of Trackman type machines became common) would observe a player a player miss shots right and then keep making the lie angle more upright until the shot direction came consistently closer to the target.
The problem with using lie angle to correct shot direction is that it may promote/ingrain swing faults. This is why I believe static fitting (which sets up a player to make fundamentally sound swings) is preferable to dynamic fitting.

The problem with using lie angle to correct shot direction is that it may promote/ingrain swing faults. This is why I believe static fitting (which sets up a player to make fundamentally sound swings) is preferable to dynamic fitting.

I’m not following you there. Everyone’s swing is different. If you have a fundamentally good, consistent swing and make good contact with the ball, why would you change the swing to change shot direction if changing the lie angle will fix it without having to change the swing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m not following you there. Everyone’s swing is different. If you have a fundamentally good, consistent swing and make good contact with the ball, why would you change the swing to change shot direction if changing the lie angle will fix it without having to change the swing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In very general terms, regardless of swing path-shape-tempo etc..., for good ball strikers, impact position is similar.
For the most part, good effective impact position is similar to address position. Static fitting uses a players physical measurements to determine club specs (length and lie) , which sets the player up well to make a fundamentally sound address position (and swing). So static fitting is about using sound fundamental address and swing technique.
Dynamic fitting (whether done using lie board, watching ball flight, Trackman , or a combination of these things) is aimed at improving shots based on a players existing swing, even though that swing may be full of faults.
My take is that the player who wants to hit better shots, but does not want to work on his/her swing mechanics, may be well served by a dynamic fitting. From a dynamic fitting his/her 20 yard directional miss may be reduced to 15 yards. But the player who wants to hit consistently great shots will be better served by learning and practicing to improve his/her swing technique

I would wager not much at all, but I think lie angle and direction is a finicky relationship. I'm about a 1.5* flat player. Always have been. When I was younger and my swing was looser and flatter it just seemed like I couldn't square up a standard lie club quite as well. Didn't seem to effect shot direction that much. Now 20 years later, armpits out over toes, no twist in my torso, and steep as heck, it makes a considerable difference. About 8 yards on a 7 iron @ roughly 167, consistently. I can bank on it. Based on your skill level and the fact that it's a gap wedge at 100 yards, 1* flat likely isn't going to have an observable change on the outcome. I could be wrong though. Love to hear how it works out if you have it done. Confidence in it alone can change everything.

My experience is that the lie angle changes start direction less than it changes the curve of the ball. I hate seeing the ball curve left, so I game my lie angles flat. I can tell the lie isn’t sort of technically perfect for me, as the range matts leave a fair amount of residue towards the toe. But I could care less, as the ball flight is what I look for.

Back