UST Mamiya Helium Prototype Shafts

For anyone still watching this thread, how has the helium performed in a 3 wood or 5 wood?

Pondering the fairway wood shaft for the Morgan Cup. Current 3wood is a 50g stiff shaft, Taylormade branded shaft circa 2008 or so. I think the lighter weight of the current gamer is why I’ve had trouble falling in love with any of the other shaft options, as they are all north of mid 60s in stiff.

For anyone still watching this thread, how has the helium performed in a 3 wood or 5 wood?

Pondering the fairway wood shaft for the Morgan Cup. Current 3wood is a 50g stiff shaft, Taylormade branded shaft circa 2008 or so. I think the lighter weight of the current gamer is why I’ve had trouble falling in love with any of the other shaft options, as they are all north of mid 60s in stiff.
For a period of time a couple of years ago I played a Helium in the F9 driver and 3w. They launch high but I don't recall which weight but it was definitely the F3 R flex. Depending on your speed and how high you want to hit it, it could be a good choice for you.

For a period of time a couple of years ago I played a Helium in the F9 driver and 3w. They launch high but I don't recall which weight but it was definitely the F3 R flex. Depending on your speed and how high you want to hit it, it could be a good choice for you.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m typically looking to find the green when I pull three wood so a higher ball flight doesn’t scare me. Swing speed hovers just over 100 with the driver so looking at the S flex based on UST guidelines.

Thanks for the feedback!

I’m typically looking to find the green when I pull three wood so a higher ball flight doesn’t scare me. Swing speed hovers just over 100 with the driver so looking at the S flex based on UST guidelines.
It will probably work well if you ever have trouble getting the ball up off the deck with a fairway wood if that is your primary use. If getting the ball up isn't a problem for you there is always the chance it could go too high but I don't know if I ever hear too many people say their 3w goes too high off the deck.

It will probably work well if you ever have trouble getting the ball up off the deck with a fairway wood if that is your primary use. If getting the ball up isn't a problem for you there is always the chance it could go too high but I don't know if I ever hear too many people say their 3w goes too high off the deck.

I don’t feel I have issue getting it up off the deck so ballooning is a possible concern but not many seemed to have that issue. I may give it the college try. Maybe I’ll be the guy that swaps shafts by October if it’s a disaster 😎

I put the 5F4 in the Speedzone 3W last year, after having it in the F9 driver (launched too high with the 10.5* head) and moving it to the Speedzone head for the MC (flight was just right in the 9* head turned down to 8*). I liked the feel right off the bat and loved the flight with it in the driver after the head switch, and have not been disappointed with it in the 3W.

This might be the best 3W combo I've had for shots off the fairway. It launches the ball just right, to my eye, and I've never had a ballooning problem with it.

It's also been good for me off the tee. I do have a tendency to turn it over too much off the tee and lose it left, but that is something I've done regularly with a 3W the last few years.

Have you hit a Helium shaft before?

Have you hit a Helium shaft before?

I have not. My local fitter had a F3. I may try to find a slow time to give it a try just to get a general sense of it. Giving it some thought as none of the others really wowed me in the fitting and testing. I wouldn't have made a purchase, if that makes sense. Now the drivers and irons, :love: but that's for a different thread.

How would you describe hitting it?

Put this one in my Epic Speed TD today. Had added some weight to the head, and figured a counter balanced shaft would be a nice fit with it. Was like coming back to an old friend. Immediately started hitting some bombs at the range. It's going back in the bag. Think I might need to order a black one though.

Just a little bumpski so I can find this later after some more play.

initial returns - this thing hit some wicked pissahs this last week.

mid-high launch and couterbalanced I thought was completely out of my comfort zone, but it performed.

It's been a while since I put the HeLIUM in play, maybe it'll get another chance in the Speed after I test another shaft that arrived recently

Interesting news here.......I know a lot of us have really enjoyed the Helium. Excited to hear all about this one soon.

been a pretty big shock how much I like the helium right now. very curious what this new one brings.

been a pretty big shock how much I like the helium right now. very curious what this new one brings.

Fantastic shaft. Light, but stable, and easy to launch, and great smooth feel. Its been a few years since the last version came out, so I bet its definitely got some great updates.

Back