Favorite putting drills/practice?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
I've been trying to spend more time on the practice green lately. Something I've never really done.

I don't feel like I'm getting much out of it as I kinda putt around for a while and then get bored.

The only half-structured thing I do it putt at a hole from all 4 sides from 4-8 feet.

What's your favorite drill or warm up routine?

It used to be putting markers around the hole and making a hundred 3 foot putts in a row.
Such a confidence boost. The problem is; It has been a while since I have taken the time and not failed.
It has become a confidence drain recently. I spent a lot of time on this challenge this year and I'm left wondering what has changed.

I like putting under a stretched yarn/thread/line. This is my favorite drill currently. Helps my green reading + alignment (or sense of).

I've been trying to spend more time on the practice green lately. Something I've never really done.

I don't feel like I'm getting much out of it as I kinda putt around for a while and then get bored.

The only half-structured thing I do it putt at a hole from all 4 sides from 4-8 feet.

What's your favorite drill or warm up routine?

I use the clock drill and putt 5 times from 3, 6, 9 and 12 feet. I won't move to next position until I can make at least 3/5 from each distance. I always start on a flat putt not breaking putt first.

I'm currently working on my speed/lagging so I do a drill from 50, 60 and then 30 feet. 5 putts each with eyes closed; looking at the hole/target; and focusing on the ball/stroke.

When I'm done I'll take 5 additional putts from each distance with my normal routine. The goal is to 2 putt (or better) 5/5 from 30 feet, 4/5 from 50 feet, and 3/5 from 60 feet. It doesn't sound like much but if you can 2-putt at that rate from those distances then you're lagging as well as the typical scratch golfer.

Lately, before rounds, I take 3 or 6 or 9 or 12 (divisible by 3) and find a flat spot on the green. I take three balls and make a stroke that allows my left hand to travel outside of my right thigh. Then, I take 3 balls and take a stroke that brings the putter head just outside my right foot. Then I make a stroke that keeps the putter inside of my right foot. I not the distances of each stroke. Make a mental note. Then I go to the first batch of balls and hit back to about the previous spot making the same stroke. The grouping gets pretty darn tight and I can calibrate green speeds pretty well off of that.

I start 1' away, 4 corners.

Then 2'
Then 3'
Then 5'

I have to make all 4 corners at each range to move on.

Then I roll long lags 30'+ to get green speed.

Then I roll 25'+ putts and must make in 2. Never from the same spot.

I like picking a route around the perimeter of putting green utilizing as many of the holes as possible. Go around getting in the hole in 2 putts. If you make it all the way around, reverse direction and go back. Make you focus on good lags and the short putts or midrange ones with the pressure of having to make. On the reverse trip all the breaks are opposite so it gives a variety of looks.

In my mind, you are asking about two separate things that are very different. A warm-up routine is to get you ready for a round. It's designed to engage the skills you have. Drills are designed primarily to build or enhance your skillset. So, with that said here is what I do.

WARM-UP ROUTINE - I start with a number of putts within 3-5 feet of a fairly level hole. My focus is on establishing my proper setup, swing, tempo, direction, and speed. I'm not just trying to hole these putts. I want to see them go into the center of the hole with the proper pace. I then move to 10-15 foot putts. The focus is still the same. Think of this as fine-tuning. At this distance, you will miss some putts. This actually gives more feedback. Are the misses finishing 18-inches or less behind the hole? Are the putts starting online and rolling well? Any indication of pulls or pushes? After this, I roll a few long lag putts. This is to fine-tune my perception of how fast the green is rolling. If I'm dialed in I may do only 3-4 lag putts. If my speed isn't right I stay with it until it's locked in. Then I go back to finish with a few short putts. See the ball go in the hole, again and again, maintaining the stance, tempo and so on I've established.

PUTTING DRILLS - When I practice, I start with the same warm-up routine. The drills depend on what I need to work on. What skill needs to be enhanced or restored. Around the world and ladder drills come with lots of variations and several have been mentioned. The putting version of the basketball game HORSE is great to play with a buddy. On drills I highly recommend you track your personal bests and give yourself a goal for each session. If at all possible, don't leave until you achieve your goal.

Lately, before rounds, I take 3 or 6 or 9 or 12 (divisible by 3) and find a flat spot on the green. I take three balls and make a stroke that allows my left hand to travel outside of my right thigh. Then, I take 3 balls and take a stroke that brings the putter head just outside my right foot. Then I make a stroke that keeps the putter inside of my right foot. I not the distances of each stroke. Make a mental note. Then I go to the first batch of balls and hit back to about the previous spot making the same stroke. The grouping gets pretty darn tight and I can calibrate green speeds pretty well off of that.

I like this one.

Almost everyone is giving specific distance that they hit from. do you bring something to measure it or just eyeball it?

I like this one.

Almost everyone is giving specific distance that they hit from. do you bring something to measure it or just eyeball it?

I use strides (basic strides, no bigger/shorter than normal walking) and each one is the equivalent of about 2.5 feet. 60' = 24 strides, 50' = 20 strides, 30' = 12 strides.

It's about as accurate as I need it without grabbing a tape measure and why I only putt 5 balls at a time. Once I'm done I scoop up the balls by the hole and walk in a different direction to practice a different slope/read/speed.

I like this one.

Eyeball it. I can't bring a measuring device with me onto the green. Elevation plays a part in this, as does break, but at least I have a better idea on speed.

Back