Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

Maybe the web.com is different because the purses are lower? It is pretty common knowledge that pga caddies get 1-2k a week and 5% of earnings, with the percent moving up to 10% for a win. So 5K is arguably what a caddie would get for a top 30 type finish. But this caddie had the guaranteed pay out up front, meaning he wasn't taking any risk in exchange for the potential bonus.

If the reports are true (who knows what is true) the flat amount was 3k not 5k and that is true that means kuch gave a 2k bonus for winning. I am in shock how anyone could think that’s a good bonus.

Now if they had a deal not matter where I finish you get 5k (even if I miss the cut) then so be it. But this looks like there was bonus talk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not, Tom Pernice (my uncles cousin) always pays per loop and 10 percent, that is straight from his mouth.

Damn me for bringing real world experience into the internet haha.

Back to your regular programming

Tom Pernice was part of an amazing UCLA team including Corey Pavin, Duffy Waldorf, Steve Pate, and Jay Delsing. All 5 of these players had substantial PGA Tour careers. No collegiate team before or since them had as much pro Tour success.

And people get way to worked up over this stuff

Tom Pernice was part of an amazing UCLA team including Corey Pavin, Duffy Waldorf, Steve Pate, and Jay Delsing. All 5 of these players had substantial PGA Tour careers. No collegiate team before or since them had as much pro Tour success.

Correct, and Tom played as number 2 most of the time. His putter had killed him through the years, still one of the best tee to green players out there even at 59 years old

None story for me - Tucan is in the wrong and Kuch is the man.

This thread is CHURNING right now!!

I'm ready to dive back in with the following: Since random foreign caddie dude didn't want the 15k, he should have also forfeited any additional monies from the 5k cash not originally promised as that should have probably offended him as well.

This thread is CHURNING right now!!

I'm ready to dive back in with the following: Since random foreign caddie dude didn't want the 15k, he should have also forfeited any additional monies from the 5k cash not originally promised as that should have probably offended him as well.

Hopefully everyone can not get worked up over this as I like good discussion, but help me understand if they agreed that a percent of winnings would be paid above set fee how can you honestly say 2 k is fair.

I know if I was caddying for you and we agreed on 3k fee and then a fair percentage of winnings you would not give my 2k out of 1.2 million. And don’t you dare try to say that’s all you would give me, you are always fair

I don’t think it’s anyone’s business but the 2 parties involved. I’d carry his bag next year for $5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the thought that this is going to hurt his reputation and cause people to think twice about him for the next 20 years is seriously laughable.

Hopefully everyone can not get worked up over this as I like good discussion, but help me understand if they agreed that a percent of winnings would be paid above set fee how can you honestly say 2 k is fair.

I know if I was caddying for you and we agreed on 3k fee and then a fair percentage of winnings you would not give my 2k out of 1.2 million. And don’t you dare try to say that’s all you would give me, you are always fair

What I would do and what Kuchar would do are two different things, clearly. I don't believe it's any of my business how he spends his money.

What I would do and what Kuchar would do are two different things, clearly. I don't believe it's any of my business how he spends his money.

I agree with that, I just personally think it’s a weak play on his part, but that’s just me

Who I feel bad for after all this nonsense is the regular list of caddies who work hard ALL year for their player with the agreed on (I'm assuming 10% per suggestions). They now look at this like "wow any random caddie reserves the right to show up for a week and get the same perks while I spend the year away from my family in hotel rooms trying to make magic happen for my player"

That sucks a lot. That 10% is WELL earned, and this is making a mockery of it.

Good point here about traveling all over the country and spending time from their families. Definitely plays into why they are compensated IMO.

This caddie got up and walked a few blocks to his local course, got to carry a bag when most of the other regulars I’m sure had to find work elsewhere, was paid the agreed amount and now is making a fuss about it.

If the story is true, and you are expecting big $$$, make the agreement up front. If you agree on an amount and then get stiffed that’s another story.

I agree with that, I just personally think it’s a weak play on his part, but that’s just me

is it weak, yeah. Does it make me think less of him, no. Does the fact that the caddie turned down an additional 15k and demand more make me think this is more of a money grab on his part, absolutely.

It's a pretty awkward spot, as far as I'm concerned. 100k is crazy money to give to someone who hauled your bag for four days and speaks broken English. I don't know the relationship, wasn't there to say how much of an impact the caddie had on him. Maybe Kuch didn't feel like it was much?

On that note, if Kuch did this to his regular caddie, who had been on the bag all year long? Totally different story as far as I'm concerned.

is it weak, yeah. Does it make me think less of him, no. Does the fact that the caddie turned down an additional 15k and demand more make me think this is more of a money grab on his part, absolutely.

I get that, but I actually respect the caddy for turning down the 15k as that is a joke.
It’s pretty sad when the guy (has never caddied before in his life) made 21k on the web win last year and ole nice guy kuch offered less than that haha

I get that, but I actually respect the caddy for turning down the 15k as that is a joke.
It’s pretty sad when the guy (has never caddied before in his life) made 21k on the web win last year and ole nice guy kuch offered less than that haha

Do we even know if it's accurate that he got a 15k offer from Kuchar?

Do we even know if it's accurate that he got a 15k offer from Kuchar?

No we really don’t know anything except heresay

No we really don’t know anything except heresay

To me, that sucks even more than the situation itself. There is no real need for accuracy or validity anymore in news or social.

To me, that sucks even more than the situation itself. There is no real need for accuracy or validity anymore in news or social.

Heck we could photoshop something put a caption on it put it on twitter and Facebook and people would believe it was real

Not just you. I expect that this story has caused Kuchar's reputation to take a hit with plenty of Tour players, Tour caddies, golf fans, golf industry people etc....
From a pure golf perspective, Kuchar winning for the first time in 4 years is relevant. Obviously, the local caddie was a significant help to Kuchar's performance.

That's fine, turn down the 15k. But then don't try to make a stink of it. He played his hand and would have come out ahead, but the number didn't meet his demands, so he walked.
Your caddie example earned almost half of what Hank Haney earned in 2009 as Tiger's coach, and Tiger won almost 11 million. Who cares?
Oh and somewhere in time Stewart Cink cheated by moving loose impediments in a waste area. Let's not forget that:alien:

So, caddy agrees to 3k. Kuch almost doubles that with a 2k bonus and it's a joke? I would love for an employer to double my salary as a bonus.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

If this story is true, and Kuch didn’t feel like he deserved 10%, which is fine, let’s be honest, 5k is a little on the low side.

That's fine, turn down the 15k. But then don't try to make a stink of it. He played his hand and would have come out ahead, but the number didn't meet his demands, so he walked.
Your caddie example earned almost half of what Hank Haney earned in 2009 as Tiger's coach, and Tiger won almost 11 million. Who cares?
Oh and somewhere in time Stewart Cink cheated by moving loose impediments in a waste area. Let's not forget that:alien:

I am lost on the Stewart cink references. Whenever I hear his name all I can think of is this
85c2fc046ad991949b60a8c823c75108.jpg

I am lost on the Stewart cink references. Whenever I hear his name all I can think of is this
85c2fc046ad991949b60a8c823c75108.jpg

now that dome is something we will remember in 20 years haha

Back