Again though, they can perceive it and react to it however they want. We all have to know that. The only control we have is on what we allow to come out of our mouth. The rest is out of our control.

My old fraternity advisor in college used to say "You can build 100 bridges. You can build skyscrapers that touch the sky. You can be the greatest athlete that ever lived. You can even get elected president, but if someone sees you screwing (he used the F word) one goat, what are you? You're a goatscrewer" That was a way to let us know it only takes one mistake to ruin our life.
I literally just laughed way too loudly at work.. Just wow

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It feels like people don't even know what racism actually is anymore. Instead, they define it by whether or not they think SOMEONE ELSE would call it racist. That's a dangerous precedent to set.

Tiger didn't randomly Tweet about it or go out of his way to bring it up. He was asked a direct question on his thoughts regarding Haney's suspension. He gave an honest answer. Haney may not have liked it, but his Tweet just digs a deeper hole.

Also, "damaged control be damned"? Dude has LOTS of sponsors, many of whom may be saying goodbye because this doofus can't stop Tweeting about it.
I didn't say anything about why Tiger commented. He's free to comment. Just don't understand why Haney shouldn't respond. I get sponsors and all that, but some people don't care about that. I wouldn't (I currently don't have any sponsors lol). I think it's one of the problems with professional golf. It's so corporate, many of the athletes are afraid to cough (unless they're attacking the USGA). I wouldn't want anyone to sponsor me who thinks this is a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I didn't say anything about why Tiger commented. He's free to comment. Just don't understand why Haney shouldn't respond. I get sponsors and all that, but some people don't care about that. I wouldn't (I currently don't have any sponsors lol). I think it's one of the problems with professional golf. It's so corporate, many of the athletes are afraid to cough (unless they're attacking the USGA). I wouldn't want anyone to sponsor me who thinks this is a big deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Fair enough. With all the training aids Hank has tried to sell me, it seems like he used to care, haha. I am also not a fan of Mob Outrage.

My mother used to always say, " The Truth will stand when the world's on fire!". So , there's that!

Fair enough. With all the training aids Hank has tried to sell me, it seems like he used to care, haha. I am also not a fan of Mob Outrage.

No one has ever accused Haney of not liking money. He'll endorse anything. But Haney has always seemed to say what he thought. This doesn't rise to the level of losing sponsors to me. However, I haven't been listening to golf media much, so I don't know the level of outrage from the actual golf community. I did see a bit of MGS discussion panel, and I found it to be...predictable.

I don’t know how many here have ever met Haney but I had a private lesson with him several years ago. He is not a “feel good” kind of guy at all. He is blunt, to the point, crude, holds nothing back, in short he can be a jerk. Not the kind of guy you would want to go to for a lesson and walk away feeling good about yourself. The way he expressed himself is the way he is and has always been. His comments on his show were poorly expressed but far from racist, misogynistic or xenophobic and did not deserve the level of outrage we’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say good for Haney for firing back. He apologized and I believe it to be sincere. No need for him to remain political correctness' whipping boy and he probably knows now that no amount of apologizing is gonna appease the twitter mob. I also don't blame Tiger for his comments as I imagine he's still a bit hot over Haney's book and probably was more than happy to pile on a bit.

The real racism is this idea that minorities and women need people like Christine Brennan to protect them from a throwaway statement from Hank Haney or they'll never take up the game of golf.

How Christine Brennan sees herself.

christine brennan.jpg

Nobody said it was.

And I will reiterate my take, Haney is paid to talk about golf and flippantly admitting he knows nothing about the LPGA is a problem for me. Ive listened to his program a number of times and his golf commentary quite honestly is mediocre at best.

He's famous for being Tigers one-time coach and nothing else.

Then don’t listen to his show.

Then don’t listen to his show.

Thanks for the help figuring that out. I would have been lost without your guidance.

It feels like people don't even know what racism actually is anymore. Instead, they define it by whether or not they think SOMEONE ELSE would call it racist. That's a dangerous precedent to set.

It's quite simple really. If you disagree with anything a progressive says, you are a racist.

Tiger didn't randomly Tweet about it or go out of his way to bring it up. He was asked a direct question on his thoughts regarding Haney's suspension. He gave an honest answer. Haney may not have liked it, but his Tweet just digs a deeper hole.

Also, "damaged control be damned"? Dude has LOTS of sponsors, many of whom may be saying goodbye because this doofus can't stop Tweeting about it.
Tiger didn't have to answer the question. He has passed on many questions throughout the years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

seems like there's more people offended that someone else is offended

It's quite simple really. If you disagree with anything a progressive says, you are a racist.

Sadly that seems to be the overarching consensus. I've never understood the progressive approach of exclusion and sweeping people under the rug as a means to move forward. Somewhere along the way people have altered the meaning of "progress" to be defined as agreement at all costs. That assumes people are never wrong.

Another assumption is being made in situations like Haney's as well: the assumption that Haney is already a racist. We have no idea if that's true, yet many have already deemed him as such because of a 45 second sound clip. This gets to the conundrum of whether someone can say words and not be defined by those words.

People hear what they want to hear to fit a narrative they're already written.

Sadly that seems to be the overarching consensus. I've never understood the progressive approach of exclusion and sweeping people under the rug as a means to move forward. Somewhere along the way people have altered the meaning of "progress" to be defined as agreement at all costs. That assumes people are never wrong.

Another assumption is being made in situations like Haney's as well: the assumption that Haney is already a racist. We have no idea if that's true, yet many have already deemed him as such because of a 45 second sound clip. This gets to the conundrum of whether someone can say words and not be defined by those words.

This is where common sense should come in to play. I don't know if his comments were a lighthearted attempt at a joke that was worded poorly or if it was seeded in racism. I am in the camp that the first is more likely as there is no evidence to say otherwise. If a pattern develops, that's a different story. If the man is a racist, would he have spent all those years helping Tiger Woods win those majors? I think media in general has become nothing more than shock, awe, and overreactions. Added to that we have a new group of advocates wanting careers in politics who jump on these stories and blow them even more out of proportion.

This is where common sense should come in to play. I don't know if his comments were a lighthearted attempt at a joke that was worded poorly or if it was seeded in racism. I am in the camp that the first is more likely as there is no evidence to say otherwise. If a pattern develops, that's a different story. If the man is a racist, would he have spent all those years helping Tiger Woods win those majors? I think media in general has become nothing more than shock, awe, and overreactions. Added to that we have a new group of advocates wanting careers in politics who jump on these stories and blow them even more out of proportion.

When I worked for SB Nation and the Back9Network (#RIP) we were explicitly told to sensationalize our articles as much as we could. This included headlines, of course, for the purpose of clicks. Editors would send back articles multiple times until we came up with something absurd enough for the narrative they wanted to create.

Sadly, this has long been the practice for media throughout the years. The advent of social media threw fuel on the fire by making people get stuff out FASTER, usually within minutes, before any facts were checked or research done. Such is the mentality of the writers today, and the birth of the outrage culture.

I think you might be reading a little too far into this... Most people I come across in daily life have no idea who Hank Haney is, let alone have opinions as to whether he's a racist. This is a story being discussed almost exclusively in golf circles, and even then, almost everyone commenting here agrees Brennan's reaction was over the top. I think it's quite a stretch to say this is an indictment of progressives, or any political movement.

I think you might be reading a little too far into this... Most people I come across in daily life have no idea who Hank Haney is, let alone have opinions as to whether he's a racist. This is a story being discussed almost exclusively in golf circles, and even then, almost everyone commenting here agrees Brennan's reaction was over the top. I think it's quite a stretch to say this is an indictment of progressives, or any political movement.

Perhaps. One over-generalization shouldn't take the place of another, I agree. However, when those making the immediate leap to something as severe as racism cite their rationale as being progressive, it's hard to overlook.

seems like there's more people offended that someone else is offended

Hopefully so...more people need to start pushing back at the non-stop outrage mob.

SJWs have completely destroyed comedy...music, TV, and movies aren't far behind. Sports is suffering as well. If you're going to attempt to make a living by having an opinion on ANYTHING in the public forum you better have the right opinion and be careful how you say it. Hank Haney was stupid to say what he did because he should have known what was coming...sad though that this is the point we're at. There exists nearly unlimited choices for media these days...but it's not good enough for people to have the ability to change the channel and listen to people they like and ignore people they don't. They're more interested in making sure people they probably never would have listened to in the first place conform than anything else.

The ironic thing here is that Hank Haney and Christine Brennan are exactly the same in that the only time anyone ever thinks about them is when they say something stupid.

All this outrage offends the **** out of me.

I’m offended that you’re offended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And then a Korean won.

A Korean named Lee.

A Korean named Lee who thinks there’s so many other Koreans named Lee on the tour that she added the number 6 to her name to differentiate herself from the others.

I think Haney knows more about the LPGA than the leftist liberal progressives with all their hypocritical ignorant outrage.

Open your mouth and a lefty gets offended. Open your mouth and say something TRUE and they go on the warpath!

Autocorrect filled in “lefty” instead of “leftist”. I’m gonna leave it. Bet someone gets offended.

And then a Korean won.

A Korean named Lee.

A Korean named Lee who thinks there’s so many other Koreans named Lee on the tour that she added the number 6 to her name to differentiate herself from the others.

I think Haney knows more about the LPGA than the leftist liberal progressives with all their hypocritical ignorant outrage.

Open your mouth and a lefty gets offended. Open your mouth and say something TRUE and they go on the warpath!

Autocorrect filled in “lefty” instead of “leftist”. I’m gonna leave it. Bet someone gets offended.

Fwiw, she didn’t add the number, the tour did.

Open your mouth and a lefty gets offended

I find that offensive...………………..:rofl:

Back