Playing behind low cappers is awful

Wow... the thread shifted to a pace of play one. That's sad. I liked the Prius conversation. Wait that wasn't the original topic either, was it?!? lol
It's called a thread jacker, but I digress. I hate almost every Prius I encounter on the FWY. 95% go too slow and get in my way (yes I own the road in case you were wondering, HA). Let's not forget the minivans and Civics in the fast lane. I call them all "Hairballs", since they clog up the lane.
Now back to our regularly scheduled rant.

What kind of "facts" are you looking for ?
Play behind a group of guys shooting 100 and you will notice bunkers not raked or poorly raked, some fresh ball marks, maybe a hole open ahead of them etc...
If you play behind a group of guys shooting 72 you are not going to see these things.

About 5 months ago, I saw a guy damage several greens one round with his putter, and he was a + golfer. So I am not sure this statement holds up.

It's true, we've all seen the total newbie who is so overwhelmed by the simple process of playing golf that they'd forget their head if it weren't attached. But if they end up being real golfers and playing regularly, in my experience they pretty quickly catch on to the niceties. And usually the just-past-raw-beginner stage is when they take all the etiquette stuff most seriously, wanting to fit in.

My observation is that the "total newbie" is not much different from a high handicap player. Most all the high handicap players I play with have been playing for about 30 years and still don't know basic etiquette such as where to stand when others are playing, or to go straight to their ball (instead of standing around or sitting in a cart watching others play).
My take on the high handicap guy who has been on golf course for 30 years is that he does not care about improving his shots and scoring, or learning proper etiquette. It's just not a priority for him, and that's fine.

This is a pretty broad reaching blanket statement about low caps.....if we are going to just start throwing around stereotypes because of some bad seeds, id imagine that this thread could get a bit ugly. To be fair, i totally agree with you. Those guys are completely incompetent pricks. But, i wouldnt go lumping in all low caps into one category unless you want people to start pointing out the stereotypes of high cappers. Both have their stereotypes but both groups also have a ton of golfers who know better.

This thread is fun.
I was behind a Toyota Prius that was driving slow in the left hand lane last week.
I was behind another one that was driving slow yesterday in the left.

Therefore anybody that drives a Prius drives too slow and lane squats in the left lane.

i saw a picture of a golf ball cut open and it didn't look quite right so now i think all golf balls from that company are shite

(sorry paulie, i couldn't resist haha)

About 5 months ago, I saw a guy damage several greens one round with his putter, and he was a + golfer. So I am not sure this statement holds up.

Did his name rhyme with Bergio?

I remember one time I bought my first "flange" putter, like a Ping Anser. I was so excited to be able to scoop the ball up like the guys on TV, right?

First round with it, I get to about the 5th hole and my opponent says "That's good, pick it up" with my ball a foot from the hole. I cavalierly swiped the flange under the ball and must have had some forward shaft lean because I peeled off about a 5" long, putterhead-wide shallow strip of putting green. Right next to the hole.

Except for the one time decades later I hit a guy with a tee shot, that terrible damage to the green was the most mortified I've ever been on a golf course. And yes, I was about a 27 hcp at the time!

My observation is that the "total newbie" is not much different from a high handicap player. Most all the high handicap players I play with have been playing for about 30 years and still don't know basic etiquette such as where to stand when others are playing, or to go straight to their ball (instead of standing around or sitting in a cart watching others play).
My take on the high handicap guy who has been on golf course for 30 years is that he does not care about improving his shots and scoring, or learning proper etiquette. It's just not a priority for him, and that's fine.

giphy.gif

One of the best things about not living in N. California anymore is I don’t have to see nearly as many Prius’ in my way anymore. Any yes, California Prius drivers on average are slower than your average Californian by at least 10mph. I had 35,000+ plus miles a year for 2 decades to observe this daily, lol!

I haven't read this whole thread (just the firs 3 pages), so sorry if this was covered.

I expect darthweasel was annoyed to have two people who clearly have spent a ton of time on the golf course (in order to attain such a low cap and high playing ability) yet never picked up the etiquette portion. Frankly, I'm not quite sure how you could do that either, but hey, the President golfs a lot and owns some of the finest clubs in the country and he drives on the greens, so apparently this isn't the only example.

i saw a picture of a golf ball cut open and it didn't look quite right so now i think all golf balls from that company are shite

(sorry paulie, i couldn't resist haha)

Yeeeeeaaaaaaa........not the same but I see the reach

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Let me see if I have this straight: low cappers = no course etiquette, high cappers = no course etiquette, so therefore it means that mid cappers drive Priuses in the left lane. Got it!

I think you mean playing behind a**holes with no respect for the course is awful.

The OP is mostly nonsense. Just about every player who shoots par golf naturally respects the golf course, replaces divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers etc... They do these things because they know a well maintained course helps them shoot their lowest scores.
Beginners and, or, high handicappers shooting 100 usually are so focused on just finding their ball and getting thru the hole that they neglect proper course etiquette (or have never learned what it is).
Also, exhibit A https://www-golf--monthly-co-uk.cdn...ie-shoots-202-in-us-amateur-qualifying-183193

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I haven't read this whole thread (just the firs 3 pages), so sorry if this was covered.

I expect darthweasel was annoyed to have two people who clearly have spent a ton of time on the golf course (in order to attain such a low cap and high playing ability) yet never picked up the etiquette portion. Frankly, I'm not quite sure how you could do that either, but hey, the President golfs a lot and owns some of the finest clubs in the country and he drives on the greens, so apparently this isn't the only example.

They're called entitled brats.

So if a guy steps out of a prius wearing under Armour instead of Travis Mathhew and is wearing formal golf shoes but not a fitted hat; likes to hold his finish but doesn't twirl the club. What do we call him? Full poser is already taken so would it be part poser? Toy poser? Hybrid poser?

Pose-ish?

Yep this is totally me. Every single cap I know is the same way too.

He owns the course. He can do whatever he wants. #youstilltriggeredbro

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pssshhhh...I'm no pedestrian "Poser", I, sir, am a Poseur.

Looks like mid-cappers are no longer safe @Antihero, all levels of handicaps have now been stereotyped
Maybe I should just always play as a single and think negative thoughts about all other golfers?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was really hoping to have a snarky remark to poke the bear here, but it's been exhausting keeping up with it all recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pretty broad reaching blanket statement about low caps.....if we are going to just start throwing around stereotypes because of some bad seeds, id imagine that this thread could get a bit ugly. To be fair, i totally agree with you. Those guys are completely incompetent pricks. But, i wouldnt go lumping in all low caps into one category unless you want people to start pointing out the stereotypes of high cappers. Both have their stereotypes but both groups also have a ton of golfers who know better.

It is indeed and to be honest, it has been much funnier to read than I even anticipated. As others have pointed out, yes, it is in response to the ridiculous nonsense one dude repeatedly, and falsely, states including in this thread, including in this very thread saying I did not see it. Yes, it happens, I watched (and listened) to it personally yes it is not limited to low or high cappers.

That part did make me wonder how many beers the OP's foursome had consumed between them, prior to the time he was observing the trash on the ground thing.

I actually did not see them drinking at all. Does not mean they weren't but over the last nine I saw none. Only drinks of any sort I saw were the water cups they threw on the ground. and yeah, I picked those up and threw them away. Along with a water partially drank on the front I found, the club I returned to the group ahead of me on the front, all the things I as a high capper apparently don't know to do.

It is indeed and to be honest, it has been much funnier to read than I even anticipated. As others have pointed out, yes, it is in response to the ridiculous nonsense one dude repeatedly, and falsely, states including in this thread, including in this very thread saying I did not see it. Yes, it happens, I watched (and listened) to it personally yes it is not limited to low or high cappers.

I wouldn't waste my time on someone like him. He's been here nearly four years and hasn't thanked one person, pretty much tells me what kind of person you're dealing with on & off the course.

Disclaimer: The argument as to the correlation among handicap level and slow play and etiquette is a false syllogism.

High handicappers are slow and lack etiquette
You are a high handicapper
You are slow and lack etiquette

Back