Fitter said X, you went X, should've gone Y

yep. similar to mikeg, it was prior to the titleist event. did a brand agnostic fitting and had one recommendation. then did a titleist specific fitting and had a very different recommendation. went with titleist, and while it wasn’t a bad recommendation, i always second-guessed it.

So one thing I note is that with the second fitting you were limited to a much smaller universe of possibilities. I experienced this too. Was fit by a major iron manufacturer and bought the clubs. Then later went to a good brand-agnostic full bag fitting and found the thing I needed the most was to change out the irons. I hit more greens and get a lot more balls close to the cup now.

So one thing I note is that with the second fitting you were limited to a much smaller universe of possibilities. I experienced this too. Was fit by a major iron manufacturer and bought the clubs. Then later went to a good brand-agnostic full bag fitting and found the thing I needed the most was to change out the irons. I hit more greens and get a lot more balls close to the cup now.

kind of. with the brand agnostic fitting, i did it with the titleist event in mind and while we tested other gear for fun, i needed my titleist specs. for the titleist event, we needed those specs to come from a titleist thursday fitting, so i did the second fitting.

About 15 years ago I had a fitting at one of the major OEM's Fitting Stations. It took almost an hour, and I purchased the irons they recommended. I struggled with them for a year, before getting rid of them.

My last set of irons, Ping G25's, were recommended (after a pretty exhaustive fitting) by Perfect Golf, in Toms River, NJ. I think they are recognized as one of the best golf fitters in NJ. I still use the irons, and they were great right out of the box.

I'm a classic overthinker (nothing to do with quality of thought)… So, yes.
That does not mean "X" wasn't the proper solution though.

Went through an iron fitting myself a couple years ago and with my daughter two weeks ago.

Both times it just seemed like way too little time spent on dialing in length, lie, shaft flex, shaft material, shaft weight etc. Very quickly it turns into a “tournament” between club brands/models based on sim numbers from relatively few swings.

Next time I do this I am seriously thinking about telling the fitter we are only hitting one brand/model and going to spend the entire 90 minutes dialing in the other stuff. Pretty sure every iron offering out there from the major manufacturers is capable of producing shots better than I am capable of hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
....Pretty sure every iron offering out there from the major manufacturers is capable of producing shots better than I am capable of hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true.

Yes, but also not trusting what the fitting result may be in general, be it because of looks, ego, flex, whatever.

I, sadly, don’t think a club fitting will help my looks.

Back