Fitter said X, you went X, should've gone Y

tomcat

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
This isn't something I've experienced, and hopefully won't in the future. But got to wondering if many others have run into this problem.

When most people go through a fitting, it's a long process that may even consist of a couple of visits to the studio. For those of you that have been through a fitting, have you ever run into a situation where your fitter made a recommendation and you felt good about it, went that route, only to find later that you should have gone a different direction? Maybe your game was going through changes at the time, and you caught it at the wrong time. There could be multiple reasons, but just curious if this is fairly common or not.

Had a recent driver and irons fitting. Followed all recommendations.

HC dropped a couple strokes since so no regrets at this juncture.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can't really think of anything. Never really had anything that flat out didn't work from a fitting.

yes, i think i've kinda stated parts of this in multiple threads, but just got my first fitting this year after playing very sporadically for many years prior. I question a lot of my fitting data now. Partially because I was ignorant and inconsistent at the time.

I've adjusted my lie angles away from what I was "fit" to and shot shape and consistency has improved.
Swing weight was never talked about and I think I'd do better with slightly lighter.
Expensive ass driver shaft recommended, I eventually tracked down and think it was too soft in real play and already moved on.

I purposely went in without a preconceived notion of what I wanted and I think that was my biggest fault.

Yep, did that back in 2017 when I was getting fit for the Titleist event I was picked for. It was down to the Ap3 and Ap2 and at the time I was still coming off an ankle injury.

Long story short I went AP3, and while those worked for me, I went based on a couple of numbers and ended up with steelfibers. A few months down the line the shafts were just too harsh and felt I was getting real quick with my swing to try and load them. Swapped them out for some Project X LZ’s and it was a lot better

I think most often fitting recommendations don’t work or stick because of the users lack of willing to commit to the recommendations fully, the brain is a powerful thing.

yep. similar to mikeg, it was prior to the titleist event. did a brand agnostic fitting and had one recommendation. then did a titleist specific fitting and had a very different recommendation. went with titleist, and while it wasn’t a bad recommendation, i always second-guessed it.

also earlier this year. did a fitting and while most of the gear made sense, the specs didn’t. being 1-2* flat most of my golfing life, i was surprised to get fit to 2* up. then i fixed a health issue i didn’t know was causing the odd specs, and had to tweak a few things. heck, even though we fixed the lie angle, i still question the shaft choice because that fitting was not done during my “normal” swing.

i don’t fault any fitters in any case. they all fit me based on what i brought that day. the inconsistency is what scares a lot of us, and often prevents us from pulling out the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think most often fitting recommendations don’t work or stick because of the users lack of willing to commit to the recommendations fully, the brain is a powerful thing.

I didn't have my swing that day
That guy is crazy
My specs have never been like that before

I didn't have my swing that day
That guy is crazy
My specs have never been like that before

That’s not my flex, no way I play regular.

So, do you feel, in your experience, that more often it's the recipient not making modifications to their swing that affects the fitting, rather than the fitter?

I would like to raise my hand here. It's 100% my mind saying "but this is different than I've always played" when I've had a change. And i always get used to it.

So, do you feel, in your experience, that more often it's the recipient not making modifications to their swing that affects the fitting, rather than the fitter?

A fitting isn’t modifications to a swing, or it shouldn’t be, a fitting is literally fitting a swing.

Do some change their swing during a fitting because they want to come off a ms Jamie Sadlowski sometimes, sure. Do people get nervous sometimes, sure.

But, do some also come in with preconceptions of what they “should” be fit to and when it doesnt happen they either adjust, or more often it seems just move away in frustration of a “bad fit”, I believe so.

Are there bad fittings? Absolutely I believe there can be, but I also think the brain pushes us one way or another more than our ego will let us admit.

Oh yes absolutely.

I’ve always needed my irons flat (referring to lie angle). Known that forever. Went to a fitting a few years ago and had a weird day....all my irons started to REALLY fade/slice. The fitter said it was because my irons were flat. He put me in 2degrees upright and balls started to go straight again. I trusted it since I saw the results.

A few weeks later, I get my irons in and I start hooking the ball. Or I dug the heel into the ground and made poor contact. Tried to work with it but I ended up going and getting them 2* flat again.

Kept all my irons and wedges flat ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying. Going in "wanting" to be fit into a specific club can cause the result to be flawed.

I see what you're saying. Going in "wanting" to be fit into a specific club can cause the result to be flawed.

Yes, but also not trusting what the fitting result may be in general, be it because of looks, ego, flex, whatever.

Oh yes absolutely.

I’ve always needed my irons flat (referring to lie angle). Known that forever. Went to a fitting a few years ago and had a weird day....all my irons started to REALLY fade/slice. The fitter said it was because my irons were flat. He put me in 2degrees upright and balls started to go straight again. I trusted it since I saw the results.

A few weeks later, I get my irons in and I start hooking the ball. Or I dug the heel into the ground and made poor contact. Tried to work with it but I ended up going and getting them 2* flat again.

Kept all my irons and wedges flat ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh hai

yep, that’s my fitting this year to a T. had to go back, and after getting it fixed have had some excellent ball striking rounds since then. so despite what some may say about not believing the fitter, sometimes we do know our tendencies and shouldn’t be afraid to speak up.

oh hai

yep, that’s my fitting this year to a T. had to go back, and after getting it fixed have had some excellent ball striking rounds since then. so despite what some may say about not believing the fitter, sometimes we do know our tendencies and shouldn’t be afraid to speak up.

Hi, I’m “some may say”, hahahahaha

Never said instincts shouldn’t be trusted, but trust should also be put into a fitting. Iirc you had some issues going on entering your fitting so it’s not surprising that it ended up a little off when things came back around for you.

My point has been on how many times I’ve seen in person people being fit to something that was SO different than what they’ve always played there was just no way they were going to let themselves trust it. I know we have had it happen here on thp a few times with people and flex as well.

In the end, do it the way you enjoy it most, that’s what it’s all about. But for me if I’m going all in on being fit, I’m going to give it the full send for a while regardless of how I feel about it. Then, if it’s just not working, it is what it is.

I think it’s a healthy convo for sure.

Hi, I’m “some may say”, hahahahaha

Never said instincts shouldn’t be trusted, but trust should also be put into a fitting. Iirc you had some issues going on entering your fitting so it’s not surprising that it ended up a little off when things came back around for you.

My point has been on how many times I’ve seen in person people being fit to something that was SO different than what they’ve always played there was just no way they were going to let themselves trust it. I know we have had it happen here on thp a few times with people and flex as well.

In the end, do it the way you enjoy it most, that’s what it’s all about. But for me if I’m going all in on being fit, I’m going to give it the full send for a while regardless of how I feel about it. Then, if it’s just not working, it is what it is.

I think it’s a healthy convo for sure.

yep, a fitting can be super humbling. so much so that our little brains won’t let us believe the numbers. arccos has helped me know my numbers and work from there.

i’ve seen people trust it with great results. i regret not speaking up about my results. but that’s on me, not an indictment on the fitter who fit me to what i brought that day (and really damn well when reviewing how good the numbers were at the tail end of the fitting).

you’re right, mine was very specific to an issue i was having at the time. i’m glad i got it fixed and am back to what i’m used to seeing. and with the tweaked setup, i’m having a ton of fun.

yep, a fitting can be super humbling. so much so that our little brains won’t let us believe the numbers. arccos has helped me know my numbers and work from there.

I think that can be a hard pill to swallow for some people. They have a certain perception of their game, how far they hit the ball, etc. Get on an actual LM and seeing a number that is lower than what you thought could be a shock to the old ego. Opening the door for a plethora of perceived variables.

I have never had a real full bag fitting. I had a static measurement for some Pings way back when and they played fine. So, I cannot really speak to the original question. I guess I'll find out in December :)

I tell myself that I am fine with whatever they put me into. But, the ego can be a powerful thing. I have every intention of rolling with it.

I'll trust the results of an outdoor fitting so much more than indoor. When I swing inside on a simulator my swing is different. I've been in some indoor bays where because of my high follow through I scrape the ceiling with a driver head. Ever since I did that years ago it's messed with me. Because of that I swing a little different and I'm not sure how accurate the fitting is.

During my outdoor fitting though I had no issues trusting what I was fit to. Even if I was fit in to something else earlier in the year I'll trust what the current fitter is telling me because my swing may have changed.

I haven't, but my wife has. That was a very VERY expensive mistake that we've been slowly trying to undo for the past 4 months.

No, can't say that I've had any fit for equipment that ended up now working.

No, can't say that I've had any fit for equipment that ended up now working.

i think you meant "not" working, but it's so much funnier to leave it "now" working like, you've never been fit for equipment that worked for you haha

i think you meant "not" working, but it's so much funnier to leave it "now" working like, you've never been fit for equipment that worked for you haha

*shrug* off the rack is the only way to go.

yes, i think i've kinda stated parts of this in multiple threads, but just got my first fitting this year after playing very sporadically for many years prior. I question a lot of my fitting data now. Partially because I was ignorant and inconsistent at the time.

I've adjusted my lie angles away from what I was "fit" to and shot shape and consistency has improved.
Swing weight was never talked about and I think I'd do better with slightly lighter.
Expensive ass driver shaft recommended, I eventually tracked down and think it was too soft in real play and already moved on.

I purposely went in without a preconceived notion of what I wanted and I think that was my biggest fault.

This is my biggest gripe about "fittings". There is no industry standard for what a fitting consists of or what approach the fitter should take. IMO, you didn't get a proper fitting, or what I call a comprehensive fitting.

Based on what you said, there was no consideration of swing weight and that ALWAYS should be included. Lie angle always brings up a key question. Did the fitter fit you for your current stance, or fit you for what your stance should be for your height, arm length, etcetera give a proper stance? IMO, you want lie adjusted to a proper stance and encourage the golfer to improve their stance in most cases. The exception would include those with physical disabilities or those too old or stubborn to change. But it doesn't sound like this was even discussed. Would need more information on driver shaft to make any determination on what went on there. I'm humble enough to know that my perceptions are not always correct, and that the good fitters out there know a whole lot more about it than I do.

But here is the basic problem. Without standards...

...Guy moves the weights around and calls it a fitting
...Guy comes out with two clubs with the same head, one has an "R" stamped on the shaft, the other has an "S". Has you swing both and calls it a fitting.
...One guy comes out with a strike plate and a 6-iron. Has you make 3-4 swings and adjusts the lie accordingly and calls it a fitting.
...Another guy spends 1 1/2 hours with you. Talks about your game and goals. Looks at your current equipment and asks a lot of questions. Takes measurements of your hands, height, arm length. Has you take your stance. Suggests adjustments and reinforces what he likes. Has you on a launch monitor for an hour trying out different head and shaft combinations of the over 10,000 he has. Explains the numbers. Lets you know swing tendencies and how they affect recommendations. Asks more questions. Zones in as he discusses what he sees that is informing him on lie angle, loft settings, head weight adjustments, shaft characteristics, grip size and characteristics, how that and other factors effect swing weight. With all this being discussed, you come to an agreement on an exact set of specs.

...and they all call that a fitting.

Back