How Good is Your Partial Game?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Growing up we didn’t have a lot of wedges, so you had to practice hitting different yardages. Knockdowns, partial swings and some creativity. It seems now, most use full swings regardless of the loft on their clubs.

Do you go partial?

I use partial swings all the time, however they are mostly terrible shots that end up going long.

I used to be pretty good with partial swings and preferred less than full swing knockdown shots. These days, not so much. I'm still searching for that balance and confidence I used to have in my swing way back when. I'll get there eventually.

Growing up we didn’t have a lot of wedges, so you had to practice hitting different yardages. Knockdowns, partial swings and some creativity. It seems now, most use full swings regardless of the loft on their clubs.

Do you go partial?

I grew up playing said two edges, so I like me a partial, and some varied face angle. Lately however, anything below 80 yards is horrendous. I need to sharpen up with the lob wedge.

it’s decent. not as good as i’d like. i’m having to manage a large gap between aw and sw right now with partial aw, and i’m not playing anything higher lofted than a 56 so having to hit a lot of partials with it. honestly my scoring has been a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Typically only when I am inside 90 yards where the distance is too short for a full 58 degree wedge. The only other times I use partial shots is when I drove off the beaten path and have to hit a low shot to extract myself from trouble.

Yes. I usually carry between 9-11 clubs and only a pitching wedge and a 56 degree. I hit a lot of half and 3/4 shots with the PW.

I'm partial to anything. Love going out with half a set of 7 clubs (Driver, 4 hyb, 6i, 8i, Pw, Sw, putter); you really get to play 'shots' as nothing really ends up being a full shot. I think its fun as heck and i always shoot just about the same as i do with my full set.

Many of the courses I play are quite windy in the afternoons so I've learned over time to hit more partial, knock down shots to beat some of the wind. I'm a bit more consistent now with these shots but my first impulse is a full swing with a club I think I can manage the distance, but I usually am able to talk myself into the less comfortable and probably more effective partial shot when into the wind.

Only if it’s inside of 80 yards or a low runner out from under trees.

Even if I’m hitting into the wind I prefer to full swing a club that goes 10-20 yards further rather than try to flight anything down.

I go partial very often. Punch recovery shots to half wedges or in windy conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never want to feel like I have to hit a club hard to get it there. I will take one extra club and choke down to take a little off unless the trouble is long. Taking about a half club off is pretty easy compared to trying to hit a 3/4 shot.

I used to be a lot better at it. My best scores were when I essentially knocked down all my iron shots. I had a 48 and a 56 and got real damned handy with 56.

I have a sweeeeet 4-iron punch out from under/in the trees.

It's because I'm under/in the trees a LOT!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My partial game is actually really good. I can even hit a half driver if I need to hit it dead straight

I hit lots of partial shots under 100 yards, but I'm inconsistent with distances because I don't practice them enough. One of these days!

I will use my 50° wedge for quite a few 1/4 and 1/2 swing shots.

I'll do a lot of partial shots from 100 yards and in. Actually one of my favorite shots is the 80 yard partial shot with my AW. It's something that I've become pretty good with over the last couple of seasons.

Like most things, it's sometimes good. I hit a few solid partial shots tonight, but they were just over the green.

I’m a full swing type. Partial swings never work out for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have almost no partial swing. I've been trying to work on it, but I'm only decent with it on my 8i and 54° wedge. I envy one who has the ability to dial in a 50% swing.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I go partial a lot. My gap wedge is the last one o full swing. Inside of 100yds i can use anything from a 7i to a lob wedge and I’m comfortable enough hitting the shot.

I’ve really gotten good at flighting my 5i into longer par 5’s setting up a more reasonable 3rd shot.

I have a lot of experience experimenting with partial shots and/or creative shots using the 'wrong club' for a given distance. I'm usually pretty good at them when required.

Yes, definitely with my Sand Wedge, which I find is killer from 80 yards in. I can't hit my pitching wedge with a darn, so 130 in I use a partial 9 iron

my partial game is pretty week. mostly just punch outs and bump and runs, but I do choke down for the occasional half shot. That's all I got though. I have enough trouble with normal shots.

Back