Not repairing ball marks

Like others on here I always try to fix mine plus two or three more. It is discouraging when you see a number of them that have already dried.

Go to their homes and you'll probably get a lot of answers.

Perhaps their spouse gave them an ultimatum and yesterday was their last ever round before being done with golf forever. They had a killer round and hit every green but since it was their last round, they said “eff it” to all the ball marks and rode off into the sunset, never to play again.

LOL

It drives me up the wall seeing ball marks on the green. I make a point of repairing my mark plus another one that I see because anymore than the two would slow play down. Its not hard to do, and if everyone did it, we'd have better conditioned greens to play on.

SirShives;n117076 said:
I’m hoping someone here can help me understand the mentality of the golfer who refuses to repair their ball mark on the green. I played my local muni last night and the amount of unrepaired ball marks was absurd. I was fixing 3 or 4 marks in the immediate area of my ball on almost every green. This course keeps the greens soft and slow, so some of the greens are significantly pock marked.

What are these golfers thinking? Are they just that discourteous? Think they didn’t make the marks? Blind? I assume these are the same people I encounter around town who don’t use their turn signals.

Anyway, rant over.

I belong to a private club and play a lot of other private clubs on the Golf Week Amateur tour.

It is not a public course only problem. I would say it is worse at most private clubs. Probably something to do with the "I pay dues, let the staff fix it" mentality.

Drives me nuts.

millsan1;n8874817 said:
I belong to a private club and play a lot of other private clubs on the Golf Week Amateur tour.

It is not a public course only problem. I would say it is worse at most private clubs. Probably something to do with the "I pay dues, let the staff fix it" mentality.

Drives me nuts.

Agree with you as well, even at a private course we see our fair share of marks not repaired, albeit much less than some public ones Ive played in the area

I chalk it up mostly to ignorance. I played with two guys this weekend that I was paired with and they just started. Neither of them really understood repairing ball marks or sanding divots and basics of golf etiquette. It was a father and son that just started playing to spend time together. I showed them a few things when they asked me questions. They were good guys. Hell I am happy to fix a divot or ball mark, I want the course to be in good shape.

With all the adds and such popping up on cart GPS units maybe courses could queue in short videos or animations to remind golfer to fix pitch marks (and more importantly) on how to PROPERLY fix them. Might at least help with the ignorance issue and teach new golfers who care enough to attempt to fix them not do more harm than good. Play the segments when they know both cart-ners will likely be stuck riding to the next destination. I mean I'm getting tired of all the dentist insurance agents realtors and lawyer adds I'm forced to see. IMO ignorance is a lessor contributor though ... lazy entitled @holes are becoming more and more prevalent.

Back