Trying to Break 80 Club

I gotta put my name up on the wall I just got my first 79 today. It was without a doubt easily my best driving scrambling and putting day ever. Now I know fir is a very important stat, but I think what really got me under 80 was the fact that even those drives that I missed I was just off the fairway.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Congrats! That first one is such an awesome feeling.

You're right there tucson. You got it soon.

I gotta put my name up on the wall I just got my first 79 today. It was without a doubt easily my best driving scrambling and putting day ever. Now I know fir is a very important stat, but I think what really got me under 80 was the fact that even those drives that I missed I was just off the fairway.

You never forget your first time...congrats

It really is because I am still floating after that round. On top of all that I think I learned more from this round then I have an any of my recent rounds. it's hard to believe that it was only like 9 months ago when I hit my first sub 90.

So pumped:

Score: 78
Fairway's: 13/15
GIR's: 6
Putts: 26

I really need to work on my GIR's. I feel like I'm a good enough putter to be consistently low if I hit more greens. Not having a driver can put pressure on that area. Also, I need to hold up better coming down the stretch. I shot 3-over on both 9's, but I birdied 10 and 11. Also, I doubled 17 and bogeyed 18. I think that I should've bogeyed 17 after my 2nd shot, and par'd 18. Also, 13 which I bogeyed is very easy, could've honestly birdied. Otherwise, I'm happy. Trying to enjoy it but I still see much improvement to be made. However, first time in the 70's and I love it.

More tournament golf to follow now.

It really is because I am still floating after that round. On top of all that I think I learned more from this round then I have an any of my recent rounds. it's hard to believe that it was only like 9 months ago when I hit my first sub 90.

I can so relate. Breaking 80 was easily the most gratifying golf accomplishment for me, even more than the hole in one. Savor it, you earned and deserve it. Again, well done!

Congrats, TS!

Thnx

In my Sunday round of 73 I had 3 birdies on the front 9 as I drained a 25 & 35 ft birdie putts, the hard thing to swallow was #8 is probably the 2nd easiest hole on the course and I bogeyed it, as I drove the ball left behinid trees had to punch out left the chip short and two putted.

These are my stats after (26) 18 hole rounds via Swing by Swing App....

Notable Stats

Eagles1
Birdies24
Pars167
Bogeys206
Dbl Bogeys65
Over Dbl Bogey23

Need to work on improving the bottom two stats... :banghead:

Broke 80 for the 3rd time with a 39/39 78. Hopefully I can keep it going!

So pumped:

Score: 78
Fairway's: 13/15
GIR's: 6
Putts: 26

I really need to work on my GIR's. I feel like I'm a good enough putter to be consistently low if I hit more greens. Not having a driver can put pressure on that area. Also, I need to hold up better coming down the stretch. I shot 3-over on both 9's, but I birdied 10 and 11. Also, I doubled 17 and bogeyed 18. I think that I should've bogeyed 17 after my 2nd shot, and par'd 18. Also, 13 which I bogeyed is very easy, could've honestly birdied. Otherwise, I'm happy. Trying to enjoy it but I still see much improvement to be made. However, first time in the 70's and I love it.

Congrats to all three of you!! Great rounds!

I can so relate. Breaking 80 was easily the most gratifying golf accomplishment for me, even more than the hole in one. Savor it, you earned and deserve it. Again, well done!

A low round is definitely better than a hole in one. Any lucky shot can result in a HOI. Plenty of bad golfers make those. Putting together a low round requires skill and is therefore the better accomplishment. I'm much more proud of my career low round than my HOI (even though the HOI was a perfect shot).

Tapped from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really had things clicking yesterday on Crooked Creek. Started out by myself for 9 and really just practiced different shots until some buddies arrived and game on. Started out with 6 straight par's, but 7, 8 & 9 got me with bogey for 39. Then the score bounced all over with several birdies/bogey and a mix of par to finish out the back with a 38/ 77.

Wish I could be out there again today, but not in the cards. I just really want to keep that train rolling while I can.

I really had things clicking yesterday on Crooked Creek. Started out by myself for 9 and really just practiced different shots until some buddies arrived and game on. Started out with 6 straight par's, but 7, 8 & 9 got me with bogey for 39. Then the score bounced all over with several birdies/bogey and a mix of par to finish out the back with a 38/ 77.

Wish I could be out there again today, but not in the cards. I just really want to keep that train rolling while I can.
Nicely done!

And that is how good golf is played! I hope to do the same here shortly. Playing my old home course today. Tight as a mouse's ear; with OB, water & houses all in play on almost every hole. Fuzzy, bumpy, slowly burning bent grass greens may be the biggest challenge.

And that is how good golf is played! I hope to do the same here shortly. Playing my old home course today. Tight as a mouse's ear; with OB, water & houses all in play on almost every hole. Fuzzy, bumpy, slowly burning bent grass greens may be the biggest challenge.

Thanks. #7 & #8 are just in my head and I walk off bogey or worst to goof up rounds often. They are just tight long holes that have no room for a miss, so I'll be breaking out a 3w next time around, lol. Good luck today, hope you go low and stay there!

Went backwards after 80 and 82 my last two outings, I shoot 91 (47/42) yesterday. A couple lost balls and bad wedge play killed me on the front. Overall bad ball striking though.

I went to the range this morning. Felt my hands getting lost, made an adjustment to get them more inline with my shoulder rotation. Started striking the ball much better.

I then played 18. Shot an 84 (42/42). My range session really helped. Was able to shape some shots into back half of the round. Striking the ball really pure. Even though I didn't break 80, I feel like I'm right on the cusp. It's going to happen.

Into the next week, I'm going to work on maintaining the hand-shoulder connection from today's range session and hit a boatload of shots with my wedges.

Went 39 45 for 84. I was two over after 12. Then I hooked my drive OB on 13 (par 4) and took an 8. Played okay from 14-16. Then doubled 17 by blading a green side bunker shot. Tripled 18 by making stupid decisions. I just have to stop with the really bad holes.

Yeah sure

Driver off the tee, Drove it straight but got a little under it, landed left side fairway just beyond the 1st bunkers

Second shot was to far out to cut the corner (more trees there than in image) so hit one down to the corner but it took a bounce right and left me a longer shot in.

3rd shot i had about 150 yards to flag (front of Green) and not the best lie, pulled it left slightly and it landed in the left greenside bunker. Plus the clubhouse looks out to the 18th green and could see there was some guys on the balcony having a drink and watching us play.

Best shot far last

The 4th shot. Deepish greenside bunker but my ball had an ok lie. grabbed my sand iron opened the face and went with it. Landed about 2ft from pin, bounced and rolled in for birdie. Best of all i got a cheer from the Lads that was watching from above.
k1z9.jpg

Back in the 80's for the first time this year. My round is strangely similar to yours !
I knew i was playing very solid golf and was putting and chipping more solid than usual but didn't have my eye on the card for 70's. 18th hole was 360 yards with a very elevated tee so took driver and played a slight fade into the middle of the fairway. I was in between clubs for the second shot and ended up taking the wrong option and left myself about 25 yards short ! I took out the lob wedge and aimed for a high one bounce and stop for the up and down and it took one bounce and went right in the hole. It decided to tease me slightly and went around the cup but eventually dropped to a round of applause from everyone watching.

Great way to get back into the 70's and a 78 with no pressure on the putting is always a bonus !

No adjustment needed - hit it well all day, putting was great.

Fred Silvertip (The Golf Couse at) August 11, 2013
Tee: Championship
Rating/Slope: 68.9 / 137
Par: 72
Factor: 14.1
79 ESC Adjusted Score
8.3 Differential -- Putts -- GIR 0/18 0.0% FIR
123456789Out101112131415161718In
Yardage29548017339537517529051031630095103603253995301453251654153174
Par4534434543654445343436
Score4545424453754465454542
ClubPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPT
FIR00
Up/Down00
Sand Save00

Last edited:
I shot 82 with 4 doubles yesterday, which left me very irritated. I really need to spend more time chipping and pitching.

Nice work Tedfroop!

played my old home course. high 90's practice round. was switching shafts in driver& hitting it even when unnecessary. still carded 3 birdies.

Tappin' instead of Ballroom right now.

Well I broke 80 last week scoring 79 (net 64 off 15) to get my PB and win a competition. This weekend I went and beat it again with a 78 (net 64 off 14) in a stableford competition scoring 43 points. Sadly two turned in 44s so I finished third. Pity I blobbed on the first!

Again, putting was so key to it. If I'm not putting well then I can kiss breaking 80 goodbye. In a good place with my swing at the moment but I'm risking having a lesson on Thursday that will probably throw it into turmoil again :doh: Not had my round entered onto Howdidido yet so I'm not sure whether they will drop my handicap by 1.5 again. If they do then that is me off 12. Don't think I'll be winning anything carrying that pressure around with me!

The buggers. 11.5.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well I broke 80 last week scoring 79 (net 64 off 15) to get my PB and win a competition. This weekend I went and beat it again with a 78 (net 64 off 14) in a stableford competition scoring 43 points. Sadly two turned in 44s so I finished third. Pity I blobbed on the first!

Again, putting was so key to it. If I'm not putting well then I can kiss breaking 80 goodbye. In a good place with my swing at the moment but I'm risking having a lesson on Thursday that will probably throw it into turmoil again :doh: Not had my round entered onto Howdidido yet so I'm not sure whether they will drop my handicap by 1.5 again. If they do then that is me off 12. Don't think I'll be winning anything carrying that pressure around with me!

Congrats on setting a new PB twice so close together, and one to win a competition. Great stuff!

I've been looking to break 80 for years now. I go through periods of time where I am able to play often and during those times I can hit low 80's. Closest I've come is 83. Have to quit 3-putting.

Back