First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I bought a DCB 4 iron to go with my Mixed Combo set to use as a driving iron this year. It had been a while since I carried a 4 iron and I was skeptical that it would make the bag or get enough use to keep its place. Six months into this experiment and it could not have worked out any better. I considered going with a hot rod graphite hybrid shaft in it but I wanted consistency and accuracy over distance. This thing is a laser straight fairway seeking missile launcher that has taken a lot of work away from my Super Hybrids. I am so much better with it from a dispersion standpoint than with hybrids and the yards lost off the tee is no big deal if my ball is in good scoring position. I am super confident with it off the tee and am starting to hit it off the turf with mixed results. I have never tried a utility iron but I cannot imagine that it would do anything better than the DCB 4 iron.

20210714_092401.jpg

I shall play the 3 iron today,.

and like it.

Ohh you TCBeauties. That set was fun today. Went back to my normal ball (TP5x) and hit some great ones. My hip is throwing off some things, but I still managed some great controlled shots and picked up 9 birdies. I like the Rahmbo Combo, but they just pair really well with the TP5x for me. And it's a great feel. A flushed TCB has such a unique sound. I've been able to notice it from a different room during a broadcast since pretty early on of having them. Need to check a couple loft and lies though. Have a growing gap.

3i was fun off the tee and turf. Glad to get it out because we're supposed to get about 5 days of rain soon. Not my favorite 3i, but it's good. Pretty easy to get up and spin up to land softly. Nice and compact but with some help.

Last edited:
Hit a 6 iron off the first tee this evening that was, dare I say, majestic. The kind that feels like you didn't even hit anything. When I don't try to get greedy, these things just work.

Another round, another long iron from the rough that has me shaking my head at how good these irons are.

Would love any more thoughts from DCB owners. Any regrets? How is the feel? ive got Srixon z585s that I don’t love and looking seriously at the DCBs.

I bought a DCB 4 iron to go with my Mixed Combo set to use as a driving iron this year. It had been a while since I carried a 4 iron and I was skeptical that it would make the bag or get enough use to keep its place. Six months into this experiment and it could not have worked out any better. I considered going with a hot rod graphite hybrid shaft in it but I wanted consistency and accuracy over distance. This thing is a laser straight fairway seeking missile launcher that has taken a lot of work away from my Super Hybrids. I am so much better with it from a dispersion standpoint than with hybrids and the yards lost off the tee is no big deal if my ball is in good scoring position. I am super confident with it off the tee and am starting to hit it off the turf with mixed results. I have never tried a utility iron but I cannot imagine that it would do anything better than the DCB 4 iron.
Couldn’t agree more…. I have DCB 4&5i and they are absolute beasts! Love these clubs… so easy to hit and super confident swinging!

Another round, another long iron from the rough that has me shaking my head at how good these irons are.

Honestly, I think the long irons, specifically the 4-iron are my favorite irons to hit in the pros. A flushed 4 iron makes me gitty!

Would love any more thoughts from DCB owners. Any regrets? How is the feel? ive got Srixon z585s that I don’t love and looking seriously at the DCBs.
I would definitely go hit these before purchasing. They have so much good going on especially for higher handicap players but sound and feel are not the strong point.

Honestly, I think the long irons, specifically the 4-iron are my favorite irons to hit in the pros. A flushed 4 iron makes me gitty!
I'm still a bit hit or miss with the 3i, but yes, the 4i is just about amazing.

I'm still a bit hit or miss with the 3i, but yes, the 4i is just about amazing.
I wouldn't mind giving the 3i a go, but can't really pull any clubs out the bag for it.

I've been having good success with the Pro 21 up to the 6 iron, but my 5 iron is a little squirrely so far. Debating throwing in a hybrid or a regular Apex 5i to see if that makes a difference.

Also, I continue to be shocked at how weak the satin finish is on these. I feel like every shot leaves a mark of some sort on the face & sole.

I've been having good success with the Pro 21 up to the 6 iron, but my 5 iron is a little squirrely so far. Debating throwing in a hybrid or a regular Apex 5i to see if that makes a difference.

Also, I continue to be shocked at how weak the satin finish is on these. I feel like every shot leaves a mark of some sort on the face & sole.
I baby mine and this is my only gripe, especially for the satin finish on the face as the finish on my Apex 19s look better all over and they have 2 seasons on them.

With the number of rounds I have on mine they are doing ok. I haven’t been to the driving range in quite a while I’m sure that is helping them hold up.

I have other clubs, like my UT iron I’ve been playing for three years and the finish looks nearly new they can certainly do better there.

I'm currently sitting at a 9 index and playing the DCB's. I love them and couldn't be happier with my purchase. The extra forgiveness is nice, but I fit into them because I'm not a high ball hitter and the launch/flight windows were great with them. It took a few rounds to get over the thickness of them but I don't notice it anymore. Any specific questions?

I'm currently sitting at a 9 index and playing the DCB's. I love them and couldn't be happier with my purchase. The extra forgiveness is nice, but I fit into them because I'm not a high ball hitter and the launch/flight windows were great with them. It took a few rounds to get over the thickness of them but I don't notice it anymore. Any specific questions?

Thanks! Curious to see what other irons you were considering at the time. And would love to get a sense of feel. I can't really notice much of a difference between the Apex and the DCBs with respect to feel and looks, but the DCBs are definitely more forgiving and slightly longer. Hard to see why I wouldn't go with the DCBs.

Thanks! Curious to see what other irons you were considering at the time. And would love to get a sense of feel. I can't really notice much of a difference between the Apex and the DCBs with respect to feel and looks, but the DCBs are definitely more forgiving and slightly longer. Hard to see why I wouldn't go with the DCBs.
The biggest difference I found between the Apex and DCBs is the turf interaction.
The Apex irons glide through the turf quicker which gives me higher ball speeds and improved dispersion.
Keep in mind that I'm a picker so YMMV.

I live in the desert and have no hope to keep a club looking nice and new. Well, I guess if I quit playing I could keep them nice. :ROFLMAO:😆:ROFLMAO: Seriously though the finish of irons and clubs in general don't bother me much anymore.

CB31AB74-FADE-48F6-9E8F-143BDDAD7D5D_1_105_c.jpeg

Had to order some better collared ferrules but these are getting the Modus treatment this weekend

Played my first round with the dcb irons last night, initial thoughts more forgiving than standard Apex, like the dart shaft, birdied holes 2 and 3 both par 5s hitting an iron less in to these 2 than I normally would for my distances, flew the green on the next par 3 in to the wind although I did club up to allow for the wind. Continued to hit irons well for the rest of the round most notable shot was an 8 iron out of a fairway bunker to about 20’ short of the green on a par 4 I normally need a fairway to reach. Shot my best round in ages an 82, play off 14, 63 years old, grumpy and stiff hope these irons stop my search for a while very pleased on first outing 👍

20210717_221132.jpg

Just started at the beginning of today's coverage because I didn't get to watch much, and it's awesome to see it start with one of the amateurs, and him rocking the TCB's!

Edit: looks like Fritelli too. More and more

Last edited:
Not going to lie.. a set of Apex bent 2deg weak with TI x100 a la Johnny Wunder intrigues me

Not going to lie.. a set of Apex bent 2deg weak with TI x100 a la Johnny Wunder intrigues me
Same but not those shafts, bit too much for me!! I'd defo like the less offset and hiding the top line a fraction. I'd love some before an after pictures of his irons! Got fit into the standard apex but didn't like the offset....some pictures could tip me over the line

Man, the pros are soooo good. Hitting the best I've hit them since purchase. Had my tournament this weekend and I was flushing them all day! great distances too. It was super wet and still were just fantastic! One shot in particular I had was an approach on a par 5 from 147. Pulled a 9 iron and flushed it. Very straight ball flight and high. Went right over the pin and dropped to 5 ft and spun back a couple of inches. Then drained our eagle putt! I couldn't be happier with the way I am playing right now and couldn't be happier with my iron purchase this year!

Back