First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Don't think I have the game for pros throughout, but I love the pro 8-AW! How is the DCB 4I treating you? I'm still waiting on mine. Currently backorderd with Cally saying 8/16-8/20. May call and see if the grip is holding it up. Easy enough change there.
The DCB 4 iron has been great off the tee for me. I do not feel confident with it yet off the turf although it is showing promise when I use it. I did hit two bad tee shots with it yesterday so its not foolproof, it is a long iron and there will be some ugly shots.

The DCB 4 iron has been great off the tee for me. I do not feel confident with it yet off the turf although it is showing promise when I use it. I did hit two bad tee shots with it yesterday so its not foolproof, it is a long iron and there will be some ugly shots.

Yeah I bought it on a lark as I'm actually fine with my 4H but love to tinker and see if I can gain anything. Will be fun to test at the very least!

My Apex Pro 4i came through for me today from 227 to 10.5' for eagle. Into the breeze, ProV1x, and just a perfect trajectory. Love everything about that... except the way it sounds. I think they've been out long enough now that I can be honest about that. Not a fan. So it's good that it performs like a freaking champ on shots like that, and looks pretty good over the ball. Everybody loves an eagle.

I just ordered the DCB's so have yet to play them...I am excited. I tried all the Apex line and as you might expect, each progression in forgiveness comes with a change in size and thickness. The Pros really felt the best and looks fantastic but were too challenging for my current inconsistent ball striking. The Apex and DCB were much closer in look and feel. That being said, the DCB are surely thicker, louder and a bit firmer to me. I could have been happy ordering regular Apex (or blended set) but shoved my ego out the window and went DCB with Elevate ETS 95 shafts. I just couldn't ignore the forgiveness of DCB's. The shaft also surprised me and can't wait to give them a workout.
cool. cant wait to hear how you liked the DCBs..
My Apex Pro 4i came through for me today from 227 to 10.5' for eagle. Into the breeze, ProV1x, and just a perfect trajectory. Love everything about that... except the way it sounds. I think they've been out long enough now that I can be honest about that. Not a fan. So it's good that it performs like a freaking champ on shots like that, and looks pretty good over the ball. Everybody loves an eagle.
Your game sounds like its at another level than mine, but curious what it is about the pro sound that you didnt like, and did you try the 21's regular apex?

Your game sounds like its at another level than mine, but curious what it is about the pro sound that you didnt like, and did you try the 21's regular apex?

I can just hear a lot of the construction and tech in it is all. Probably stands out more to someone who plays mostly players cavities and blades. There's a post way back in here somewhere when I took them out on course right after they arrived and I talk about a ringing, multi-layer sound. It's mostly in the mid and long irons though. Some like it, some don't. I think I'm pretty sensitive to it. For example, I can hear it a bit in my TCB's, which are the tour clubs. They sing a bit. It's a little different. Nowhere near like the Apex Pro though.

I have hit the new standard Apex. I have a couple. If I'm being honest, and whytf not at this point lol, I prefer how they sound to the pros.

They're all good clubs that perform great, so whatever looks and sounds and feels right to each person is a good choice.

I can just hear a lot of the construction and tech in it is all. Probably stands out more to someone who plays mostly players cavities and blades. There's a post way back in here somewhere when I took them out on course right after they arrived and I talk about a ringing, multi-layer sound. It's mostly in the mid and long irons though. Some like it, some don't. I think I'm pretty sensitive to it. For example, I can hear it a bit in my TCB's, which are the tour clubs. They sing a bit. It's a little different. Nowhere near like the Apex Pro though.

I have hit the new standard Apex. I have a couple. If I'm being honest, and whytf not at this point lol, I prefer how they sound to the pros.

They're all good clubs that perform great, so whatever looks and sounds and feels right to each person is a good choice.

When I first started playing the pros I could tell the difference from my XForged. They felt good but had a sort of tech artificial feel to them.

Now that I haven’t played anything else for a while I don’t notice it anymore. I’m used to them

Been awhile since I've chimed in with my thoughts in this thread, but I've played quite a bit of golf in the last month or two and after a small moment of clarity I'm playing much better lately. Obviously the nature of an iron like the Apex Pro 21s is going to lead to a lot of "My swing was bad and these irons punished me" or "I was swinging well and these irons perform amazing" so I'll try to avoid such generalities.

On the plus side I really enjoy how I can hit every shot I need with these irons. For an iron so small they launch effortlessly, and despite my overall lack of talent, I am quite adept at flighting these irons down when needed. I attribute the ease of launch to the fact that mine are bent weak and the faces/heads pump out impressive speed.

Compared to my old Pro 19s I would say these are just a little bit better in every way, except one. I think the sound of the cup face long & mid irons is a little bit worse than the Pro 19s were. Not sure if it's just a hollow body effect or a change in the cup face? But the increase in bag-appeal with the sexy looks is enough for me to quickly accept the sound.

I am finding the Pro 21s react quite well to being hit high on the face but will make you regret missing thin. I am capable of hitting really nice shots out of light rough that launch high enough to offset the spin drop. Tight lies and I have never got along, and that hasn't changed.

I'll try upload some videos to show some different shots/sounds - not sure if it'll work.
Vid 1: Smooth mid iron to back left pin - released to 10 ft
Vid 2: Punch short iron straight into the fan
View attachment Kamloops smooth mid.mp4

View attachment tobiano5 punch.mp4

Good stuff @ArmyGolf and some really goot shots! I love seeing on course stuff. Looks and sounds like they're working real well for you. Mind me asking what the moment of clarity that got you playing better was? I'm sure plenty of us could use some of that!

Good stuff @ArmyGolf and some really goot shots! I love seeing on course stuff. Looks and sounds like they're working real well for you. Mind me asking what the moment of clarity that got you playing better was? I'm sure plenty of us could use some of that!
No kidding!:).. those sure look like a bunch of great swings..will see when i demo them in a couple days, but feel like im leaning towards the standards apexs..

Its basically just an idea or feeling where I'm not rushing the swing. Trying to really slow down the takeaway, and then also slow down the transition.
It was like flipping a switch for me. Gained distance through the bag (due to better strikes) and control is back.

Its basically just an idea or feeling where I'm not rushing the swing. Trying to really slow down the takeaway, and then also slow down the transition.
It was like flipping a switch for me. Gained distance through the bag (due to better strikes) and control is back.
I know that one. In your head it feels like you're sitting there at the top of your backswing like Matsuyama, but it reality its pretty seamless.

I know that one. In your head it feels like you're sitting there at the top of your backswing like Matsuyama, but it reality its pretty seamless.
Yeah, exactly.
For me I think it helps use more of my big muscles and less of my small twitchy muscles (no idea in reality - just a feeling).

Yeah, exactly.
For me I think it helps use more of my big muscles and less of my small twitchy muscles (no idea in reality - just a feeling).
This is something that has helped me tremendously! Plus I have a new wrist movement at the top that has been a game changer. Slow and steep takeaway, wrist movement at top which causes a short pause (feels like forever to me, but it's not) and it drops my downswing inside to out and let it rip!

I'm still very much liking my my 21 Apex. When I put a good swing on them, I get exactly what I'm looking for. Still, my only gripe about them is the spin is a touch low for my liking. I hit a relatively high ball with a relatively steep decent angle, and I prefer my 7 iron to stop right where it lands. I can account for it, but I'm seeing more release with these than I find preferable, especially since I refuse to accept that I don't play irons like I used to a few years ago. I didn't get along with the Pros when I did my fitting, which is a shame as I always gravitated towards the Pro side of the lineup visually, and I still see a little chunk with the regular Apex at address. I've still got ground to make up with my consistency, but I'm playing way better than I did for a long time after losing what game I had.

I'm still very much liking my my 21 Apex. When I put a good swing on them, I get exactly what I'm looking for. Still, my only gripe about them is the spin is a touch low for my liking. I hit a relatively high ball with a relatively steep decent angle, and I prefer my 7 iron to stop right where it lands. I can account for it, but I'm seeing more release with these than I find preferable, especially since I refuse to accept that I don't play irons like I used to a few years ago. I didn't get along with the Pros when I did my fitting, which is a shame as I always gravitated towards the Pro side of the lineup visually, and I still see a little chunk with the regular Apex at address. I've still got ground to make up with my consistency, but I'm playing way better than I did for a long time after losing what game I had.
Did you try the DCBs before landing on the standard apex?.. although i wouldnt mind the added forgiveness the dcbs supposedly offer over the standard 21s, not sure if the possible thicker club and harsher feel is something i'm going to like. Right now i like the forged feel and look of the 16's, so if i could get the same type look, feel and hopefully some newer technology gains in the 21s i'm thinking that should be enough for my game.. sorta like the best of all worlds of an upgrade

I've noticed I have 10-20 feet of rollout with my set gap wedge. I don't like that, but at other times it's stopped with relatively little rollout. I'll keep trying different balls to see if I can find one that might give me more bite. That would be my only gripe thus far with the 21s.

May not have been very many quality swings this weekend. But one thing I'm really pumped about currently are the long irons in the pros. The 5 and 6 are just working exactly how I need them to and I couldn't be more excited. They get in the air wonderfully for long irons and they stop pretty quick. Not QUITE hop and stop but when I'm hitting that far, I'm not necessarily looking for that. Never had much confidence in long irons before this set.

Did you try the DCBs before landing on the standard apex?.. although i wouldnt mind the added forgiveness the dcbs supposedly offer over the standard 21s, not sure if the possible thicker club and harsher feel is something i'm going to like. Right now i like the forged feel and look of the 16's, so if i could get the same type look, feel and hopefully some newer technology gains in the 21s i'm thinking that should be enough for my game.. sorta like the best of all worlds of an upgrade
I didn't. The offset and top line are an immediate deal breaker for me. The regular Apex is about as thick a top line I can stand to look at. The regular Apex is probably the best feeling iteration since the 2014 Pros, which were better than both the 16 and 19 lines.

Last edited:
I didn't. The offset and top line are an immediate deal breaker for me. The regular Apex is about as thick a top line I can stand to look at. The regular Apex is probably the best feeling iteration since the 2014 Pros, which were better than both the 16 and 19 lines.
Good to hear!.. my first interaction with Apex irons was the 16's and i love how they feel, so cant wait to try these 21s

My DCB 4I went from mid/late August to shipped yesterday. Should have it this afternoon! Looks like I'll have 15 clubs for my round tomorrow. :D

My DCB 4I went from mid/late August to shipped yesterday. Should have it this afternoon! Looks like I'll have 15 clubs for my round tomorrow. :D
Did you get the Modus 120S in it?

Did you get the Modus 120S in it?

I went with the Catalyst 100. Felt like that would be closest to my hybrids and I'm legit curious about that iron shaft so seemed like a fit. If it doesn't work out reshafting to steel is pretty straightforward.

Hi all. Writing to you from Sweden. I play today X Forged -18.
And i really love them. I wondering if anyone could tell the different between X Forged and Apex Pro -21?
Forgivness, feel, sound and more. 🙂

Hi all. Writing to you from Sweden. I play today X Forged -18.
And i really love them. I wondering if anyone could tell the different between X Forged and Apex Pro -21?
Forgivness, feel, sound and more. 🙂

I played the ‘18 XForged for 3 seasons before the Apex Pros this year. I was a big fan of the XForged.

I’ll start with the sound/feel. It is hard to beat that of the XForged especially out of the middle. The Apex Pros are good but definitely have sort of a techy feel to them. I first noticed right after I switched and don’t any more. Now they just feel good to me. If you miss Apex Pro way out on the toe you will know that sound is interesting.

Performance wise the Apex Pro is a big improvement for me in the long irons. They are definitely more forgiving, easier to launch and more consistent. Distance on good shots between boy is the same for me, misses are better with the pros.

Getting down to the short irons/wedges I don’t notice too much difference in performance. Maybe a touch more spin on the pros though I am playing with a different shaft.

The longest iron I played in the XForged was the 5i and while I had some good shots with it it was demanding and a little intimidating. 5 iron and 4 as well in the pros I have no hesitation or anything but confidence over the ball. Even needing to go over trees they launch so easy.

Back