First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Straight in the bag for tomorrow.

685474D1-A674-41E4-93EA-DC642E42BC61.jpeg

Some comparison pics with the standard Apex 5I.

DAA7B29E-C2BD-48B5-BB29-0DA3388D179D.jpeg
1FE927E7-3543-4AAB-99C0-CB0C4A737971.jpeg

I played the ‘18 XForged for 3 seasons before the Apex Pros this year. I was a big fan of the XForged.

I’ll start with the sound/feel. It is hard to beat that of the XForged especially out of the middle. The Apex Pros are good but definitely have sort of a techy feel to them. I first noticed right after I switched and don’t any more. Now they just feel good to me. If you miss Apex Pro way out on the toe you will know that sound is interesting.

Performance wise the Apex Pro is a big improvement for me in the long irons. They are definitely more forgiving, easier to launch and more consistent. Distance on good shots between boy is the same for me, misses are better with the pros.

Getting down to the short irons/wedges I don’t notice too much difference in performance. Maybe a touch more spin on the pros though I am playing with a different shaft.

The longest iron I played in the XForged was the 5i and while I had some good shots with it it was demanding and a little intimidating. 5 iron and 4 as well in the pros I have no hesitation or anything but confidence over the ball. Even needing to go over trees they launch so easy.

Thanks for the reply. I have also heard that the pros is a little more forgiving.
Well, i gonna try the pros after the season is over and see if they kick the X forged out of the bag. 🙂

Have played a few rounds now with the DCBs, coming from the Srixon Z585s. Absolutely love these clubs. So easy to hit, very forgiving and I really like the feel. I tried the Apex 21s against the DCBs, and I really couldn’t tell much of a difference between the 21s and the DCBs, either feel or look. But I was just consistently longer and straighter with the DCBs, so it was an easy choice (I’m an 11 handicap fwiw). And it wasn’t even close relative the Srixons...I could never hit these cleanly off the turf, and I’m not sure if it was the v-soles or not. I don’t have a 4 iron, but trying to figure out if I need to get that (I’m at 5-PW right now).

Have played a few rounds now with the DCBs, coming from the Srixon Z585s. Absolutely love these clubs. So easy to hit, very forgiving and I really like the feel. I tried the Apex 21s against the DCBs, and I really couldn’t tell much of a difference between the 21s and the DCBs, either feel or look. But I was just consistently longer and straighter with the DCBs, so it was an easy choice (I’m an 11 handicap fwiw). And it wasn’t even close relative the Srixons...I could never hit these cleanly off the turf, and I’m not sure if it was the v-soles or not. I don’t have a 4 iron, but trying to figure out if I need to get that (I’m at 5-PW right now).
Curious.. so when you say longer , how much of a diff are we talking?.. for eg PW.. what are some of your normal Apex 21 yardages vs the DCBs?.. and it sounds like from a feel and look the DCBs still gave you the soft forged feel in all the clubs, and the topline wasn't an issue..

Someone in this thread would be super proud of me. I hit some knockdown short irons and wedge shots on Friday. Let's see if he notices.:unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Someone in this thread would be super proud of me. I hit some knockdown short irons and wedge shots on Friday. Let's see if he notices.:unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I used to know how to do those. Now they're high pulls.

I used to know how to do those. Now they're high pulls.
I have never really been able to do it and first time was by accident and I realized what I did. Through another ball down just for sh**s and giggles and tried it again and was like, huh. Well that's not bad lol.

Curious.. so when you say longer , how much of a diff are we talking?.. for eg PW.. what are some of your normal Apex 21 yardages vs the DCBs?.. and it sounds like from a feel and look the DCBs still gave you the soft forged feel in all the clubs, and the topline wasn't an issue..

I personally didn't notice any difference in the topline when i was hitting the two. For the 7 iron, I was hitting the Apex 21s 155-158 carry, and hitting the DCBs 162-165 carry. So about 7 yards longer. Launch and descent angles were similar between the two. Now part of the difference is the DCBs have slightly stronger lofts (maybe it's all the difference). But the DCBs also had a tighter dispersion for me left and right, and more importantly in distance. That said, if the DCBs didn't exist, I would have been perfectly happy gaming the Apex 21s as they were also much better for me than any other iron I tried.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how the Apex Pro 21's have a higher spin rate than the X Forged 21's? Given the same shaft and loft/lie. IMHO, I would think it should be the other way. Me, just thinking out loud.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how the Apex Pro 21's have a higher spin rate than the X Forged 21's? Given the same shaft and loft/lie. IMHO, I would think it should be the other way. Me, just thinking out loud.

That is curious.

I brought my ‘18 XForged 7 iron in with me when I first tried the pros. With the same shaft the XForged spun almost 500 rpm more for me. I switched to the Elevate and then saw essentially the same spin.

Got the DCB 4I out but only had a chance to hit if off of one tee. Smoked it down the right side of the fairway, landing just a touch past where I landed my 4H on the same hole. Didn't get to hit it off the deck other than the mats at the range, but I was pretty surprised with how easy it was to hit there. Not as high launching as my 4H obviously but certainly playable. Currently debating pulling my 4H for the weekend to give it a proper run.

That is curious.

I brought my ‘18 XForged 7 iron in with me when I first tried the pros. With the same shaft the XForged spun almost 500 rpm more for me. I switched to the Elevate and then saw essentially the same spin.
I was always told all shafts are not created equal with different heads. I have the MCA MMT 60x in my EPIC Max LS and a PX Smoke Blue 60 6.0 in my Cobra RadSpeed XB and they feel very similar. Different flexes, but both are working haha.

Every time I hit the pros, they make me want more. A crisp 4-iron is one of the most intoxicating shots with the new pros!

Am I the only loser in this thread who can't pure a long iron? Haha its lonely in this corner.
It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it feels so fricking good! lol

X Forged spun lower for me too. The X Forged were one of the lower launching and spinning heads I tried this year, and the only guys here I know playing them do it specifically for those reasons.

Am I the only loser in this thread who can't pure a long iron? Haha its lonely in this corner.
I had been hitting the DCB 4 iron quite well until the last two rounds. 💩 its time to drag the mattress to the curb 💩

It could be that the bounce/grinds on the Pro's allows the club head to enter/exit the turf quicker than the X Forged clubs... therefore more spin and potentially more distance. For me this is noticeable when comparing the DCB's with the regular forged irons and when comparing wedge grinds. Bob Vokey talked about this a couple of times on different YT videos.

Really solid ball striking night with my Apex irons last night. I'm finding that into a headwind these are easy to club up and hit a 3/4 swing to knock the spin down. Windy conditions have been a struggle for me in the past but these are really starting to shine for me

My league partner who bought my apex combo set is playing crazy well with them. It took him some time to sort them out, but he is now hitting fantastic irons shots hole after hole. We were scoring very similarly, but with these irons he is beating me every outing. When a guy who putts that well ups the iron game, the scores drop. Wow. Fun to watch.

I had been hitting the DCB 4 iron quite well until the last two rounds. 💩 its time to drag the mattress to the curb 💩

It's gonna take some time for me to be comfortable enough to pull my Mav 4H for the 4I. When I hit it well it's awesome, but the hybrid is still a little more forgiving on less than stellar contact.

My league partner who bought my apex combo set is playing crazy well with them. It took him some time to sort them out, but he is now hitting fantastic irons shots hole after hole. We were scoring very similarly, but with these irons he is beating me every outing. When a guy who putts that well ups the iron game, the scores drop. Wow. Fun to watch.
It's always cool to watch a friend get better. A close buddy of mine has gotten significantly better over the last year and a half and it's been a lot of fun to watch. And the Apex lineup is just fire this year!

Just ordered a set of Apex 21, after channeling fond memories of my CF 16 irons. Decided to try a more forgiving iron as my game has been hot garbage this season. I’m unjustly blaming my current irons for my predicament, even though every other facet of my game is a dumpster fire. I’m banking on the honeymoon period bringing my scores down, haha.

Well i took a stab at the zx5’s and just didn’t like them. During a quick fitting it was fine but didn’t translate to the course. So i grabbed a trade in set of Apex Pros. Hopefully they translate better for me on course. Went 4-P with $-tapers

Just ordered a set of Apex 21, after channeling fond memories of my CF 16 irons. Decided to try a more forgiving iron as my game has been hot garbage this season. I’m unjustly blaming my current irons for my predicament, even though every other facet of my game is a dumpster fire. I’m banking on the honeymoon period bringing my scores down, haha.
It's almost here!! getting fitted Monday and can't wait.... Coming from CF16's with recoil shafts, cant wait to try the standard and DCBs.. who knows maybe i'll end up with a combo set apex and dcb's.. If the DCB's look similar to the CF16's size wise and feel just as soft, then i'm not sure why i wouldnt get the dcbs over the standard apex. apologies for the rambling...but so many thoughts of what to get..

Back