Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Got in 4 rounds with the zx7’s this weekend and I have to say I really liked the feel of them and they were fairly easy to hit. Not sure the set I picked up has the right shaft for me but were fine for a last minute pick up. I seem to hit the modus 120’s really high and lose a bit of distance but for the most part they go fairly straight. I would love to throw a different set of shafts in at some point and see how they do. Will be a fun comparison against the the t-100S irons next year
Save yourself some money in the long run from buying different shafts, just get an iron fitting with those ZX7, I'm sure the info on the screen will give you the best idea of what shaft to use

Reactions: MH
We've had I don't know how many inches of rain since yesterday morning, so it's a complete flooded mess everywhere, and I know 2 things.

1. Turns out I really picked the right weekend to skip playing in a tournament :LOL:

and

2. My favorite crap weather clubs, the do everything well ZeXie7s, are already in the bag and ready to go if the wife and I can actually get out tomorrow. And I'm pretty excited to slice those beauties through the muck.

Not at all. The Recoil 95's I had in my last set ranged from 91-96g The Modus 120S are only 114g. I haven't had any issues at all other than I can notice my right elbow is flaring up a bit (golfers elbow) and that may push me back to Recoils. The modus 120 has been one of the best shafts I have ever used.
My 2 cents. In August I went with new Srixon Z585 irons. These were the ones I liked best. I ordered the 585 #7 - W and purchased new ZU 585 #5 and #6 iron heads only. The 7-W were ordered new thru a local pro who is a Srizon rep. All have KBS Tour 90 soft stepped steel R flex. I assembled The ZU 585 5 and 6 irons to my specs and needs. #5 iron used a KBS Tour 90 TAPER tip #3 iron shaft ( double soft step) and I installed a TAPER tip KBS Tour 90 #5 iron shaft in the ZU 585. #6 iron (single soft step). Srizon single soft stepped the Z585 #7 thru W . All but trimmed to play +.50 and The R flex. The distances, feel and high ball flight with my irons have been more than significantly amazing. The shafts feel smooth. and stable. I am 76 and why did I not go this route sooner. I am hitting these irons close to the same places as 25 years ago and I have permanent physical set backs to deal with. For years I have been playing graphite in newer pings, Callaway and Taylor Made. Nice irons but in no way did the graphite shafts compare with what I am getting from the KBS 90 set up. Major increase in performance. They have all been sold. I should have realized that graphite iron shafts were holding me back years ago. He'll younger and healthier golfers than I are all smiles when they hit my Srixon irons. My experience may be of interest to some of your equipment ideas. I do not know if the new Srixon 2021 releases are any better . Confident that my set works as well. If not little better for me.

ZX7's where dialed in today. Distances where spot on, dispersion was a bit loose but missing left or right I was always pin high. The greens I did hit I was stopping the ball within a foot of the ball mark. Paired with the Modus 120S shaft these have been great irons for me this year.

My 2 cents. In August I went with new Srixon Z585 irons. These were the ones I liked best. I ordered the 585 #7 - W and purchased new ZU 585 #5 and #6 iron heads only. The 7-W were ordered new thru a local pro who is a Srizon rep. All have KBS Tour 90 soft stepped steel R flex. I assembled The ZU 585 5 and 6 irons to my specs and needs. #5 iron used a KBS Tour 90 TAPER tip #3 iron shaft ( double soft step) and I installed a TAPER tip KBS Tour 90 #5 iron shaft in the ZU 585. #6 iron (single soft step). Srizon single soft stepped the Z585 #7 thru W . All but trimmed to play +.50 and The R flex. The distances, feel and high ball flight with my irons have been more than significantly amazing. The shafts feel smooth. and stable. I am 76 and why did I not go this route sooner. I am hitting these irons close to the same places as 25 years ago and I have permanent physical set backs to deal with. For years I have been playing graphite in newer pings, Callaway and Taylor Made. Nice irons but in no way did the graphite shafts compare with what I am getting from the KBS 90 set up. Major increase in performance. They have all been sold. I should have realized that graphite iron shafts were holding me back years ago. He'll younger and healthier golfers than I are all smiles when they hit my Srixon irons. My experience may be of interest to some of your equipment ideas. I do not know if the new Srixon 2021 releases are any better . Confident that my set works as well. If not little better for me.
That is the setup I'm looking at all though the shafts will probably be the modus 105. I was able to take a complete set of zx5 out for two days of course use and love them, but did not love the price with two boys in college :). Have you tried a zx5 I'm curious about the comparison between the two

On another note I will be getting my first fitting ever in my 63 years. The 585 in the zx5 or two of several irons I'll be checking out.

That is the setup I'm looking at all though the shafts will probably be the modus 105. I was able to take a complete set of zx5 out for two days of course use and love them, but did not love the price with two boys in college :). Have you tried a zx5 I'm curious about the comparison between the two

Uuuuummmm :)

That is the setup I'm looking at all though the shafts will probably be the modus 105. I was able to take a complete set of zx5 out for two days of course use and love them, but did not love the price with tw
On another note I will be getting my first fitting ever in my 63 years. The 585 in the zx5 or two of several irons I'll be checking out.
I have only hit the 585's. I hit my friends soft Stepped 585's before my purchases. They were right in my wheelhouse . I skipped the demo days where I could also hit the 2021 new irons. I knew what I wanted to do with the shafts and talked to a friend who plays the 585's and he did not like the newer version as well as the 585. I heard Srixon no longer makes the ZU 585 #4, #5 and #6. I would highly recommend those as they are designed to deliver high trajectory. I bought the 5 and 6 ZU585 heads on eBay along with the appropriate numbered KBS Shaft to play as soft stepped. Sorry that can only report on the ZX585. Good luck

Depending on what my fitting says tomorrow that is also my thought. I have found used on eBay including the ZU 4 5 and 6, the ZUs look to be quite forgiving and I'm not getting any younger :). How is the gapping going from the 6 to the seven 585, did you have to bend the 6 ZU?

Depending on what my fitting says tomorrow that is also my thought. I have found used on eBay including the ZU 4 5 and 6, the ZUs look to be quite forgiving and I'm not getting any younger :). How is the gapping going from the 6 to the seven 585, did you have to bend the 6 ZU?
I made a mistake. I do have the new 2021 ZX 5's. They are not the older 585's. . Now my 5 and 6 are the prior ZU 85 generation. I did not alter the lofts on either. The gapping between. 6 ZU85 and 7 ZX5 is not a problem. These irons are explosive.. I just talked to my body who went to demo days. He told me that the new utility irons started at 2 thru 4. He said they are super. He has the ZU 85 5 and 6 and he believed the 4 iron loft spec was not a strong loft and could be ordered 2 or 3 degrees weak in loft to play as a 5 iron.. He really liked the new utilities (think they are called ZXU) but ultimately decided to stay put. I have not checked the loft on the new ZXU 4 utility to verify that it could be easily bent to fit in as a five. Sorry for the confusion. I am new to Srixon. and.erroneoudly thought I had 585 short irons in my set.

I made a mistake. I do have the new 2021 ZX 5's. They are not the older 585's. . Now my 5 and 6 are the prior ZU 85 generation. I did not alter the lofts either. The capping between. 6 ZU85 and 7 ZX5 is not a problem. These irons are explosive.. I just talked to my body who went to demo days. He told me that the new utility irons started at 2 thru 4. He said they are super. He has the ZU 85 5 and 6 and he believed the 4 iron loft spec was not a strong loft and could be ordered 2 or 3 degrees weak in loft to play as a 5 iron.. He really liked the new utilities (think they are called ZXU) but ultimately decided to stay put. I have not checked the loft on the new ZXU 4 utility to verify that it could be easily bent to fit in as a five. Sorry for the confusion. I am new to Srixon. and.erroneoudly thought I had 585 short irons in my set.
Yep, the ZX5s are fantastic. As for the new U85 there just called the ZX.

Just did my fitting today and found out my feelings for the zx5s with modus 105 stiff was right on mark. Callaway, Honma, Cobra RadSpeed, Cleveland FX Launcher, T200, Ping 700, and many diff shafts. Played zx5 first and last...winner, winner chicken dinner. Prices are ridiculous so will be waiting till everything calms down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-140756_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-140756_Chrome.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20211005-122903_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-122903_Chrome.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 27
Oh, and Tour Edge c721. Wish they still had the z585 to try that pricing is a little more palatable for someone putting twins thru college. ;)

Just did my fitting today and found out my feelings for the zx5s with modus 105 stiff was right on mark. Callaway, Honma, Cobra RadSpeed, Cleveland FX Launcher, T200, Ping 700, and many diff shafts. Played zx5 first and last...winner, winner chicken dinner. Prices are ridiculous so will be waiting till everything calms down.
At times Budget golf has a sale on the ZX 5"s. For the #7 - W part of my set paid 149 per club. Your trackman data is looking good.
Track man data looks good. I hear you. I paid $149 per club for 7-W part of my set. Sometimes Budget Golf has Srizon sale. You will enjoy them

Interesting to see how much more consistent and better your ballstriking was with the ZX5s. Even AoA moved considerably into the right direction. Fitting and adapting a club to one's individual swing and requirements to perform your best swing is such an underrated part of the Golf game :)

With the Internet (which was not at its best in 95') you can learn so much. I realized that I got lucky buying the Barely used Zings and felt they were fine for many years. Wasnt until I did my testing yesterday, that with the wrong club and shaft it was near impossible to modify swing to fit certain clubs. I have always (back when I played well) been able to "fix" a problem with my swing on the course as I played probably due to so much time on Driving Ranges and practice areas (half of my golf was practicing which I enjoyed).
Question for those that have been fitted. My fitter walked away several times for several minutes during our sessions and I didnt think much of it until I got home, was wondering if he was no longer interested due to me telling him before the session started I was not going to be buying new clubs after the session was over, and to try and fit me into stock shafts but would still be interested in knowing the best shaft for me. Did your fitter do the same?

ZX7's where dialed in again today, 13 GIR. Without a doubt the best ball striking day I have ever had, and felt good to know what it feels like to hit pure iron strikes all day long.
When I think I need some more forgiveness these turn it on and show me what can be done with them. Hitting small 3-5 yard draws with irons is a lot of fun.

ZX7's where dialed in again today, 13 GIR. Without a doubt the best ball striking day I have ever had, and felt good to know what it feels like to hit pure iron strikes all day long.
When I think I need some more forgiveness these turn it on and show me what can be done with them. Hitting small 3-5 yard draws with irons is a lot of fun.
Awesome! Nice playing, pal! 💪

Stud!

Dialed in, the only thing I've dialed in lately is my radio station :) glad to hear you're at least doing well on the golf course

Got the ZX7’s in and these are just awesome!! Only hit them on the range so far. Excellent feel & forgiving as well. I ended up getting the 3-AW with Nippon NS Pro 950GH. I’m surprised there isn’t more buzz around these.

Got the ZX7’s in and these are just awesome!! Only hit them on the range so far. Excellent feel & forgiving as well. I ended up getting the 3-AW with Nippon NS Pro 950GH. I’m surprised there isn’t more buzz around these.
2372 posts is good convo about them. Not a ton of us playing them but you are correct, they are excellent irons and love mine.

I'm playing a set that I built to my specs with MMT 95 and they are the first set of irons over the past 3 years that I really can't see being beat out of the bag without spending a fortune

Hey guys,

I currently game the Zx5s, but am going to order the zx7s in 8-PW.
I hit my zx5 8i ~150

Do I need to bend the Zx7 a degree stronger to hit that 150 mark?

Just curious what most people do when they blend (or what srixon recommends).

Back