Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I was in the process of looking for my retirement set of irons . I am retiring next year early summer. I won't have the income to club ho anymore . I went into the closest golf super store to try a few irons . Went in looking to try the Titleist t300 and Mizuno 921 hot metals .
I want to move to graphite easier on the old bones and joints . I found the T300's were better for me over the 921"s .
The rep said I have an iron you might like some over our reps here are playing them and have sold well . He brings me the Zx5 7 iron with a r flex recoil 95 shaft.
Pure magic , the feeling is so soft and pleasing , another thing I liked was the distance longer and more accurate than the t300's which was a surprise since the T300 is 2* stonger in the 7 iron.
In short I ordered the 5-pw with the recoil but being a lefty the gap wedge is not offered . So what are you guys using to fill in the gap between pw and sw ?
I was thing of a cbx2 or Cleveland zip core 48 or 50 to stay in the same line .

I’ve got 3 rounds in with the Zx5 and Recoil 95 stiff…excellent clubs. Expect you will really enjoy them.

I was in the process of looking for my retirement set of irons . I am retiring next year early summer. I won't have the income to club ho anymore . I went into the closest golf super store to try a few irons . Went in looking to try the Titleist t300 and Mizuno 921 hot metals .
I want to move to graphite easier on the old bones and joints . I found the T300's were better for me over the 921"s .
The rep said I have an iron you might like some over our reps here are playing them and have sold well . He brings me the Zx5 7 iron with a r flex recoil 95 shaft.
Pure magic , the feeling is so soft and pleasing , another thing I liked was the distance longer and more accurate than the t300's which was a surprise since the T300 is 2* stonger in the 7 iron.
In short I ordered the 5-pw with the recoil but being a lefty the gap wedge is not offered . So what are you guys using to fill in the gap between pw and sw ?
I like the CBX2 line of thinking in the AW spot unless you feel like you'll really benefit from the something greenside or with shot versatility with a smaller sole. Can usually use a more specialized SW or LW for that though. Congrats on your order. They're great clubs. 👍

Nearly 2500 posts is a testament to the quality of this release

Nice. Interesting validation that the ZX5's. held there own and beat the Mizuno and T300. Did you consider the ZU head in your #5 iron slot. Congrats

Last edited:
Don’t overlook the AW….:cool:
I was looking at your iron selection and it showed 8 through a w in the ZX7, and I thought okay what are the long irons and then I noticed you have the rest set up in hybrids. I've never seen a bag quite like that. The important thing that works for you

I felt the same way when reading testimonials on the Srixon irons I was able to rent a set of the ZX-5 for 2 weeks and took them on vacation and enjoyed several rounds on the golf course. The soft feel and the interaction even in the rough was fantastic

Nice. Interesting validation that the ZX5's. held there own and beat the Mizuno and T300. Did you consider the ZU head in your #5 iron slot. Congrats
No I didn't look at the ZU , I was unaware they made a utility iron , I didn't know much about Srixon products going in , thought they were for low cappers and scratch golfers only . I am more likely to play hybrids .

Looking forward to hitting the trusty ZX7’s against the t100s/t200 combo. I should have a few more weeks of outside golf and then will move on to a mix of gcquad and trackman sim golf.
Hope you share your thoughts when comparing the two. Congrats on the great play at the Experience and enjoy ALL your nice sticks!

I need to get my 7's out at the same time as my T100s. I think the sw is lighter on the later. Or just take them both in and have them tell me. Don't have a sw scale.

The 7's seem to be easier to feel the head.

I need to get my 7's out at the same time as my T100s. I think the sw is lighter on the later. Or just take them both in and have them tell me. Don't have a sw scale.

Well ... I repeat ... Hope you share your thoughts when comparing the two. Congrats on the great play at the Experience and enjoy ALL your nice sticks! :ROFLMAO:

Played on a really damp course today and the V sole handles those conditions very well. Was able to make some good shots into the cross winds and have them hold the line well.

Played on a really damp course today and the V sole handles those conditions very well. Was able to make some good shots into the cross winds and have them hold the line well.

Atta boy!

I've had to admit to myself that I regret switching from the ZX7s to the ZX5s. Nothing wrong with the 5s; they beat the 7s in TrackMan testing. :p But, on the course, they just don't instill the shot-shaping confidence that the 7s did.

Maybe it's the switch to lighter shafts, too, going from the Modus 120 to SteelFiber i95. I keep thinking that I should need lighter shafts since I'm getting older every day but heavier shafts simply give me much tighter dispersion and consistency. And, my swing rhythm and timing is much better with the heavier shafts.

Either way, I got so frustrated this week that I played 9 yesterday with my old MP-33 / DG S300 combo, which may still be the best set of irons that I've ever played. I don't think I hit an iron shot more than 5 yards off line. Such pure feeling irons.

Atta boy!

I've had to admit to myself that I regret switching from the ZX7s to the ZX5s. Nothing wrong with the 5s; they beat the 7s in TrackMan testing. :p But, on the course, they just don't instill the shot-shaping confidence that the 7s did.

Maybe it's the switch to lighter shafts, too, going from the Modus 120 to SteelFiber i95. I keep thinking that I should need lighter shafts since I'm getting older every day but heavier shafts simply give me much tighter dispersion and consistency. And, my swing rhythm and timing is much better with the heavier shafts.

Either way, I got so frustrated this week that I played 9 yesterday with my old MP-33 / DG S300 combo, which may still be the best set of irons that I've ever played. I don't think I hit an iron shot more than 5 yards off line. Such pure feeling irons.
I am fighting the urge to go to more of a distance iron, but when the GIR is increasing and hitting above 50% the last 4 rounds it is hard to deny the performance of the 7's. Just an amazing iron!!!!!

BOOYAH

I have the 5's with ZU85's in the top end. Interested in whether the 7's hold their own against the New Titlexist models

No I didn't look at the ZU , I was unaware they made a utility iron , I didn't know much about Srixon products going in , thought they were for low cappers and scratch golfers only . I am more likely to play hybrids .
You need to try the older zu85 or the new Z X's. Just picked up a used 85 6 iron and I love it. I'm waiting for the pricing to go down from the stratosphere on the used Club market and then I'll pick up a set of zx5. Until then I just picked up a used ZX-5 gap wedge which I will be comparing it with my Ping Zing sand wedge

The only downside to the new ZX is it only goes to a 4 whereas the U85 goes to a 6. If you want newest and greatest you could mix ZX5/7 with the ZX4s and finish with a 2-3 ZX utility, but that would require a lot of gapping work. Then again a few of you members salivate when you here those words... ;)

For those talking about the ZXU….

Might check this out if you haven’t already. ;)

Significant improvement on the 85 having reviewed both. This one is a rocket launcher.
This is true. I was looking for some help in the #5 and #6 .The Zu85 version is the only iron utility for those slots. The ZU85’s are excellent and really worth a look since the new ZU generation has no 5 or 6 available .Iwould have went with ZU if it was available in the 5 and 6 iron space

Last edited:
So was at Topgolf yesterday and it was not pretty. Working on staying down into the ball instead of standing up and then coming over the top. Got to love using my phone with videos from behind me, it just shows how I stand up instead of keeping my butt down and back. The only Shining Moment was getting to hit that zx5 gap wedge, what a wonderful feel. Did not fly quite as high as the Ping but it carried about 7 yards further and felt so much better. Played with the u-85 6-iron again and was just hooking everything for some reason oh, it wasn't just that club it was all clubs that day. But still that U 85 6 iron just feels so sweet when you hit it

Zx7 / Zx5 combo set in route! Should be here Monday. 7’s 5-p & 4i is zx5 with modus 120x. Really excited to get these in play. Will probably re-shaft the 4i with an Accra iCWT 2.0 115.

Took the ZX7 out today for the first time in a while. And it was awesome. The conditions were pretty rough. Windy and wet, and man they just EXCEL when things are tough out there. Put together a clip of some shots I had, including the first today, and how I felt about them by the end. I don't know how I always forget about the feels!!

15 greens, only 1 of the 3 missed was with the ZX7 and it was 20' away on the fringe. Had to work them high and low and against the wind, knock off spin, etc, etc. and they really can do it all. Shot of the day was:

a 196y 7i into a crosswind for an easy birdie on a hole that's not so easy in general, much less on a day like this.

They're just an awesome and extremely friendly players iron, and the number of people in this thread amazed at their ability to play them, and play them well is a huge testiment to that. I can never bring myself to sell them because they are just so. stinking. good. If they had beveled that top line it would be hard for me to find any fault with them at all. Loved having them out there again today and look forward to a few more good days with them in this coming season's weather.

Old and Stiff... uh huh. Who's that swinging the club, your grandson? ;)

Took the ZX7 out today for the first time in a while. And it was awesome. The conditions were pretty rough. Windy and wet, and man they just EXCEL when things are tough out there. Put together a clip of some shots I had, including the first today, and how I felt about them by the end. I don't know how I always forget about the feels!!

15 greens, only 1 of the 3 missed was with the ZX7 and it was 20' away on the fringe. Had to work them high and low and against the wind, knock off spin, etc, etc. and they really can do it all. Shot of the day was:

a 196y 7i into a crosswind for an easy birdie on a hole that's not so easy in general, much less on a day like this.

They're just an awesome and extremely friendly players iron, and the number of people in this thread amazed at their ability to play them, and play them well is a huge testiment to that. I can never bring myself to sell them because they are just so. stinking. good. If they had beveled that top line it would be hard for me to find any fault with them at all. Loved having them out there again today and look forward to a few more good days with them in this coming season's weather.

You make me more and more excited to get mine in and get them on the course and in the dirt. Which wedges are you pairing with these when you take them out?

Back