LIVE UPDATE THREAD Dream Foursomes with True Temper and Callaway Golf

So sorry to hear you had COVID. Glad you're recovered and that is some serious skill. Go get em and make sure to bring your best putter.

How was Payne's Valley? Looks like a dream. How hard is it to get on their right now?
The whole place is incredible! We played Mountain Top(par 3) Payne’s and then Buffalo Ridge. The views were unbelievable on all 3 courses. There some pictures that don’t do it justice on my Road to the Grandaddy thread.

We were lucky enough to play it in a tournament. Word is they are requiring you to stay at on property lodging but there is a place that is called Angler’s lodge that qualifies and it has an awesome bar in it with a golf simulator in it!

Okay so new line of questions. What’s your take on a Match Course type round? How did the fun meter differ between a set tee and a choose your teeing ground round? Following along, the idea was pretty cool. I don’t think I could completely move to something like that, but I like the idea of including a scatter round in the future to change things up.
Man, I'm scared to say this, because I'm sure I'll take backlash. I liked and enjoyed playing the Match Course more than the Champions Course, but that has WAY more to do with me and my skill vs. anything else. I'm sure I'm in the minority here. It was awesome to see the Bear Trap and take it in, but it's really tough for me to fully enjoy something shooting 111, or whatever the heck it is I ended up with. I'll remember it for the rest of my life, I can't wait to watch the Honda Classic and yell "I was there I was there!" But I'm just being totally honest, the champions course was just way over my head, I'm just not quite there yet. I've never played anything that hard before or anything like it.

I really really enjoyed the Match Course. I loved talking with a partner at every tee box debating where to tee off, I loved the strategy around it, it was just a whole new aspect that added so much for me, and the course was still really cool and unique. It kind of reminded me of a Stranz design a little bit. It had some great holes, some ridiculous greens, it was very new, but it is the course I would go back and play for sure. It's just a very smart design especially if you have golfers of different skills because you could use it as a handicap tool as well. I just saw so many cool things with the Match course. I was a massive fan of it.

@gkeller813 Every hole we got to pick this is how the conversation went.

@jfox789 “I think we should play from here for reasons 1, 2, and sometimes 3.”

@Carolina Dundee. “Ok”

Man, I'm scared to say this, because I'm sure I'll take backlash. I liked and enjoyed playing the Match Course more than the Champions Course, but that has WAY more to do with me and my skill vs. anything else. I'm sure I'm in the minority here. It was awesome to see the Bear Trap and take it in, but it's really tough for me to fully enjoy something shooting 111, or whatever the heck it is I ended up with. I'll remember it for the rest of my life, I can't wait to watch the Honda Classic and yell "I was there I was there!" I'm just being totally honest, the champions course was just way over my head, I'm just not quite there yet.

I really really enjoyed the Match Course. I loved talking with a partner at every tee box debating where to tee off, I loved the strategy around it, it was just a whole new aspect that added so much for me, and the course was still really cool and unique. It kind of reminded me of a Stranz design a little bit. It had some great holes, some ridiculous greens, it was very new, but it is the course I would go back and play for sure. It's just a very smart design especially if you have golfers of different skills because you could use it as a handicap tool as well. I just saw so many cool things with the Match course. I was a massive fan of it.
I think that’s why it was fun that you were able to play at two different courses!

I think that’s why it was fun that you were able to play at two different courses!
Yea and they were two VERY VERY different courses which was super super cool.

Yea and they were two VERY VERY different courses which was super super cool.
Even the photos showed how different they were. I can only imagine what it felt like playing them in back to back days!

Even the photos showed how different they were. I can only imagine what it felt like playing them in back to back days!

Abacoa wasn’t a slouch on Monday
D5E0835F-8A96-4AEF-8420-311AA207F64E.jpeg

Every hole we got to pick this is how the conversation went.

@jfox789 “I think we should play from here for reasons 1, 2, and sometimes 3.”

@Carolina Dundee. “Ok”
Lol. Yea I can totally see it going that way. I mean ultimately it wasn't much different in my cart. I talked a little bit more than "ok" but I'm not going to try and convince Keenan to play my way lol, that would been just silly. I provided input on the par 3's just so it was inside 150 and I was comfortable, that was about the extent of my strategery.

Yea and even the greens and the way they were cut were different. I'm really curious to see if more of these pop up at some of the bigger resort style places.

Lol. Yea I can totally see it going that way. I mean ultimately it wasn't much different in my cart. I talked a little bit more than "ok" but I'm not going to try and convince Keenan to play my way lol, that would been just silly. I provided input on the par 3's just so it was inside 150 and I was comfortable, that was about the extent of my strategery.

Sometime I said “you got to do what you’ve got to do” or “I think you should go for it”

Man, I'm scared to say this, because I'm sure I'll take backlash. I liked and enjoyed playing the Match Course more than the Champions Course, but that has WAY more to do with me and my skill vs. anything else. I'm sure I'm in the minority here. It was awesome to see the Bear Trap and take it in, but it's really tough for me to fully enjoy something shooting 111, or whatever the heck it is I ended up with. I'll remember it for the rest of my life, I can't wait to watch the Honda Classic and yell "I was there I was there!" But I'm just being totally honest, the champions course was just way over my head, I'm just not quite there yet. I've never played anything that hard before or anything like it.

That's awesome. I wondered how the Match course would be viewed. The concept seems to be one that could be a good introduction to golf for newer golfers looking for a competitive, fun riund thst also allows them to play to their strengths, or their opponents weaknesses.

That's awesome. I wondered how the Match course would be viewed. The concept seems to be one that could be a good introduction to golf for newer golfers looking for a competitive, fun riund thst also allows them to play to their strengths, or their opponents weaknesses.

@V14_Heels will hopefully agree with me but this course is not how you get new golfers into the game. On a regular course possibly but this view on the tee of 1 was not for the faint of heart.

edit. This is actually a dogleg left but the turn was at around 270 from here. We were the closer team after the drive and we’re around 175 into the pin
40EC652E-AE88-424C-A1CF-3B6C85DDD97E.jpeg

Yea and even the greens and the way they were cut were different. I'm really curious to see if more of these pop up at some of the bigger resort style places.
Green reading and pace is definitely something I need to improve on. So having two different courses with different conditions would be a challenge for me.

@V14_Heels will hopefully agree with me but this course is not how you get new golfers into the game. On a regular course possibly but this view on the tee of 1 was not for the faint of heart.

edit. This is actually a dogleg left but the turn was at around 270 from here. We were the closer team after the drive and we’re around 175 into the pin
View attachment 9043564
Haha ya you're right with that view! Not beginner friendly.

But maybe the style. No rough. Pick your yardage. Match play so you're not too concerned about your individual score.

View attachment 9043564
Hmm. Yea that's a tough one to answer. It definitely had some hazards, and it was pretty easy to go OB cause there's so many houses, but on the flipside you can shorten that course down to what was it? 4000 yards or something insane which is going to make it pretty darn easy for beginners to get into, so I don't know?

I love the match course idea. I think it would be fun to try a few times just at a random course where the winner picks the next tee box. Sure would change things up for courses that get to be “blah” after playing so many times.

But maybe the style. No rough. Pick your yardage. Match play so you're not too concerned about your individual score.

If my local affordable golf course was setup like this it would be so cool.

I love the match course idea. I think it would be fun to try a few times just at a random course where the winner picks the next tee box. Sure would change things up for courses that get to be “blah” after playing so many times.
I’m going to suggest this during my next golf trip. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Yea there was no rough, but you still had lots of hazards, almost EVERY single green was elevated and the greens were crazy with undulation. The greens definitely weren't beginner friendly. Some of them were like a putt putt course, so now that I've talked through that. Carolina Dundee is 100% right haha. it's probably not a great course for beginners at all, even at a shorter length.

Yea there was no rough, but you still had lots of hazards, almost EVERY single green was elevated and the greens were crazy with undulation. The greens definitely weren't beginner friendly. Some of them were like a putt putt course, so now that I've talked through that. Carolina Dundee is 100% right haha. it's probably not a great course for beginners at all, even at a shorter length.
I forgot about the crazy greens! Did anyone get a good picture of the green with the large valley in the middle?

I suppose it’s all relative to what you’re used to playing though…

@BigDill How much discussion or strategy did you have per hole, and did you have a strategy going into the match? I thought we had a really solid strategy going into the match and then quickly realized how dangerous @JasonFinleyCG is with a wedge, and @Bernoulli is with a putter after the first few holes. Our initial plan was to play it as short as possible to get a putter in Popalicious's hands (aka @Carolina Dundee) as much as possible but had to quickly scoot it back after a quick one-two punch to the face.

We learned very early that @Bernoulli and @JasonFinleyCG were deadly from 110-130 and kept that in mind.

Winner picks would have been a whole different ball game.

We tried to turn the short holes into a putting contest. We figured that at 145 yards or less we had a good chance to have two good looks at a possible 2.

I forgot about the crazy greens! Did anyone get a good picture of the green with the large valley in the middle?

That was 18 and our group didn’t play it. The pin was on the front and that was the only part of the green anyone even saw when @+7 KPTT had to tap in the winner.

If that pin was in the back it would have been a very tough green

It was the 18th hole. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to play it as our match ended on 17. The swale is in the middle of the green and on Tuesday the pin was on the front part of the green.

Below is a picture of the swale taken from the left side of the green. You can’t even see the pin in the photo.

2143A125-7CAE-4F27-92FE-F80322DBF4AD.jpeg

Back