2022 Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Balls

We can still make it last several weeks with why haven't you done it yet @Canadan ?! 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Who’s to say it hasn’t already happened and it’s just waiting to post 🧐

Okay after testing the three balls with some short game stuff in the studio, they are definitely different to me. Now I am no robot, so impact location and quality strike will always play the largest factor, but why I also like to do some of this indoors is to minimize the variables for the initial test. With that said, I am a firm believer in testing golf balls on the course, because aerodynamics is one of the most under thought of aspect and some balls are frankly flat out better than others in this area.

I did half shots, quarter shots and green side chips. The closer I got to the green, the more difference I saw with CSX spinning most followed by LS and then followed by Chrome Soft. As I got into half shots, the spin of all three was actually really good and comparable if not better to just about anything I have tried to date. The expectation with this type of cover is plenty of spin around the green and they don't disappoint. The CSX was giving me about 350 RPMs on average more than the LS and about 750 RPMs over the CS. That is for me and my swing and impact, you might be a bit different.

I have been a Chrome Soft person for quite a while because of the lower spin off the tee and my steeper swing. As I work with changing some dynamics there, I am actually finding the LS to fit my needs a bit better. Launching in a great window and still giving me lower spin from the tee box. I prefer the soft feel of the Chrome Soft, but both feel pretty good. I will be testing full 7 and 8 irons this weekend and report back more there.

Just a quick note here. For those expecting the LS to be the CSX around the green, but with super low spin off the tee, my results show they are pretty different golf balls. Similar feel though. Ask yourself how much spin do you impart around the green on partial shots. If the answer is none, you are a bump and run player, that makes the decision a bit easier. All three balls hold greens fine on full swings, but there are definitely differences.

I will be adding more to this after the weekend with some screen grabs of data on the full swings. Happy to answer any questions.
Quoting the above, as this is a sort of continuation on this info. I got a chance to work on some full swings with the three as well. Working with a 7 iron of a soon to be released set and before starting, I will say that for those that are following and do not know me, I am a higher spin person than average due to my steeper path (working on it), but for comparisons sake that doesn't really matter.

I worked with the 3 balls and played a green at 165 yards working strictly on distance and spin variations. Before continuing, I want to say that thank goodness the rumors about this ball going away or a name change, etc were all ********. I know THPers in general are not huge on re-learning a lineup and Chrome Soft is sort of a mainstay despite not being decades in tenure. Okay, enough about that stuff.

I started with Chrome Soft as it is the one I am most familiar with and doing this in the Tech Studio to minimize any sort of variables, but these will hit the course in the coming week. Chrome Soft gave me what I expected out of it. My distance was met, the feel is soft, but at the same time a bit full, if that makes sense. Very little clicky-ness for those that do not like that. I saw a small increase in ball speed overall, which could be the golf ball, but could also be the swing/impact. Last year I would have set this up at 160 and now I am setting it up at 165, so there is that.

After 3 balls above, switched to the LS, and continued to rotate this until 12 balls of each were hit. The LS seemed to elevate the spin a tiny bit, again impact could be at play here. The average was 367 rpms different between the two balls after 12 were hit. It was also 1.2 mph faster.

Next up was the CSX and that was 289 rpms different than that of the LS and over 600 rpms different than that of the CS. It was also about a mile an hour faster than the LS.

This is where it gets interesting. For me, the Chrome Soft was the longest ball carry distance wise, as the lower spin helped me get there. The LS did have the tightest grouping front to back. All of them were rock solid for me, and in general I tend to look for something that mitigates spin until I get around the green, so LS might be the ball for me this year, if not the Chrome Soft. There is definitely a fitting story here that I think should be explored by every golfer, because the distance difference between the balls could be fairly significant based on fitting of lower or higher spin, as well as what happens when you miss (you might not miss, but I do from time to time).

I am going to try and get driver swings in today in the Tech Studio and I suspect we see a pretty substantial difference in numbers with the most violent and fastest swing in the bag.

@JB a golf ball fitting is crucial. It's crazy we don't talk about it more. Thanks for all the feedback and can't wait to hear what they do with the boom stick!

@JB a golf ball fitting is crucial. It's crazy we don't talk about it more. Thanks for all the feedback and can't wait to hear what they do with the boom stick!
Is it crucial? No.
But testing for the individual is definitely important. Think about it like this. If you took CSX and CS and were striking it well for an iron fitting, you would without a shadow of a doubt get fit into different clubs.

Quoting the above, as this is a sort of continuation on this info. I got a chance to work on some full swings with the three as well. Working with a 7 iron of a soon to be released set and before starting, I will say that for those that are following and do not know me, I am a higher spin person than average due to my steeper path (working on it), but for comparisons sake that doesn't really matter.

I worked with the 3 balls and played a green at 165 yards working strictly on distance and spin variations. Before continuing, I want to say that thank goodness the rumors about this ball going away or a name change, etc were all ********. I know THPers in general are not huge on re-learning a lineup and Chrome Soft is sort of a mainstay despite not being decades in tenure. Okay, enough about that stuff.

I started with Chrome Soft as it is the one I am most familiar with and doing this in the Tech Studio to minimize any sort of variables, but these will hit the course in the coming week. Chrome Soft gave me what I expected out of it. My distance was met, the feel is soft, but at the same time a bit full, if that makes sense. Very little clicky-ness for those that do not like that. I saw a small increase in ball speed overall, which could be the golf ball, but could also be the swing/impact. Last year I would have set this up at 160 and now I am setting it up at 165, so there is that.

After 3 balls above, switched to the LS, and continued to rotate this until 12 balls of each were hit. The LS seemed to elevate the spin a tiny bit, again impact could be at play here. The average was 367 rpms different between the two balls after 12 were hit. It was also 1.2 mph faster.

Next up was the CSX and that was 289 rpms different than that of the LS and over 600 rpms different than that of the CS. It was also about a mile an hour faster than the LS.

This is where it gets interesting. For me, the Chrome Soft was the longest ball carry distance wise, as the lower spin helped me get there. The LS did have the tightest grouping front to back. All of them were rock solid for me, and in general I tend to look for something that mitigates spin until I get around the green, so LS might be the ball for me this year, if not the Chrome Soft. There is definitely a fitting story here that I think should be explored by every golfer, because the distance difference between the balls could be fairly significant based on fitting of lower or higher spin, as well as what happens when you miss (you might not miss, but I do from time to time).

I am going to try and get driver swings in today in the Tech Studio and I suspect we see a pretty substantial difference in numbers with the most violent and fastest swing in the bag.

This is really really good.

I have a decent stock of the 21 Chrome Soft X LS, but I fully plan on giving all 3 of these a shot next year. Given some of the tweaks I have read about here, and seen Mr. Wunder post about, it is possible I fit better into a different ball.

@JB - Would you be concerned that CS wouldn't spin enough to hold a green from a 7i out of the fairway?

@JB - Would you be concerned that CS wouldn't spin enough to hold a green from a 7i out of the fairway?
Nope. I see those things written a lot, but never really see it play out. Landing angle is more important than is discussed in that situation, because you can spin it like crazy and if you are hitting it to low, it doesn't matter if the spin is 500 more or less.

But by that same logic, if spin was the deciding factor and the 7 iron wasn't enough, that would mean with a ball that spun more, you would still never get a 5 iron to hold the green, right?

Is it crucial? No.
But testing for the individual is definitely important. Think about it like this. If you took CSX and CS and were striking it well for an iron fitting, you would without a shadow of a doubt get fit into different clubs.

I hadn't looked at it that way. Testing side by side is very important to understand the nuances between the balls you are testing.

Nope. I see those things written a lot, but never really see it play out. Landing angle is more important than is discussed in that situation, because you can spin it like crazy and if you are hitting it to low, it doesn't matter if the spin is 500 more or less.

But by that same logic, if spin was the deciding factor and the 7 iron wasn't enough, that would mean with a ball that spun more, you would still never get a 5 iron to hold the green, right?
Correct and Landing angle certainly plays an important part.

The spin story is interesting. It's been a while, but we've played together a few times and I was a higher spin player (poor move into the ball & open face) but now I find myself in the CSX since late 2019 when the new version came out and I have seen some pretty decent gains through the bag. I have not been on a LM, but from the course I was seeing the CS being shorter through the bag and running out on approach shots more than I care for. The previous version CSXLS was long enough off the tee and irons, but the feel was too firm, and I missed the spin on approach shots I am seeing from the CSX.

I am beginning to think the swing fixes I worked on have reduced the spin I had previously and now the CSX is actually helping with spin and helping me maximize the ball flight. I need to find a reliable LM to get on and test the new versions out because now I want to know where my spin numbers are.

The spin story is interesting. It's been a while, but we've played together a few times and I was a higher spin player (poor move into the ball & open face) but now I find myself in the CSX since late 2019 when the new version came out and I have seen some pretty decent gains through the bag. I have not been on a LM, but from the course I was seeing the CS being shorter through the bag and running out on approach shots more than I care for. The previous version CSXLS was long enough off the tee and irons, but the feel was too firm, and I missed the spin on approach shots I am seeing from the CSX.

I am beginning to think the swing fixes I worked on have reduced the spin I had previously and now the CSX is actually helping with spin and helping me maximize the ball flight. I need to find a reliable LM to get on and test the new versions out because now I want to know where my spin numbers are.
Do you? :ROFLMAO: If its working, you might not need a change and the new CSX is very solid.

Do you? :ROFLMAO: If its working, you might not need a change and the new CSX is very solid.

I'm a card carrying member of the #LunaticFringe, it's in the bylaws, lol.

Seriously I am more curious now where my spin is in relation to where I thought it was. A lot of great golf balls out there and it's going to take something special to knock the CSX out of the bag. There is something to be said about confidence with the only piece of equipment you use on every shot.

I think the biggest story this year is the differentiation between balls that make fitting into a specific ball easier. That said, I think many will continue to gravitate towards the same ball that gave you your best performance unless you're on the fringe in terms of what you want to see around the greens. For guys who need the spin, CSX is still going to be stellar.

I am a buyer of the LS as soon as I see them. Try them out compared to the Pro V1x and TP5x I am currently playing through.

Took the new Chromesoft LSX balls out after work today and played 4 holes hitting to off the tee. 3 birdies 4 pars and 1 bogey

I could not tell a difference between the firmness of the originals and the new version. They still have the perfect trajectory for me.

I was looking for a little bit more spin around the greens but didn’t really find it. Not a big deal but something I was interested to see. They still have enough spin for me with the irons.

Not sure if I had a better stroke with the putter or not but I really liked the feel on the greens. Maybe because I made a lot of putts.

These are the balls for me. Mid trajectory with plenty of roll out of the tee and enough spin with the irons. Mute my draw slightly. I was hoping for more control and spin around the green but my expectations could have been too high it’s not a miracle ball.

Will be my gamer this year but as an internet golfer I will try the chromesoft x too.

I am a buyer of the LS as soon as I see them. Try them out compared to the Pro V1x and TP5x I am currently playing through.
I’ll have a cpl for you on Saturday

Took the new Chromesoft LSX balls out after work today and played 4 holes hitting to off the tee. 3 birdies 4 pars and 1 bogey

I could not tell a difference between the firmness of the originals and the new version. They still have the perfect trajectory for me.

I was looking for a little bit more spin around the greens but didn’t really find it. Not a big deal but something I was interested to see. They still have enough spin for me with the irons.

Not sure if I had a better stroke with the putter or not but I really liked the feel on the greens. Maybe because I made a lot of putts.

These are the balls for me. Mid trajectory with plenty of roll out of the tee and enough spin with the irons. Mute my draw slightly. I was hoping for more control and spin around the green but my expectations could have been too high it’s not a miracle ball.

Will be my gamer this year but as an internet golfer I will try the chromesoft x too.
You seriously couldn't tell a difference even off the tee? They sound pretty different to me off a TSi3.

You seriously couldn't tell a difference even off the tee? They sound pretty different to me off a TSi3.
I might have to do a side by side comparison. Played only the new version today

I might have to do a side by side comparison. Played only the new version today
Yeah, that might do it. Hey no real need though. If you love the new ones just play the heck out of them like you did today!

Really jealous of your boxes of almost totally white balls btw. :LOL:

Yeah, that might do it. Hey no real need though. If you love the new ones just play the heck out of them like you did today!

Really jealous of your boxes of almost totally white balls btw. :LOL:
I love triple track so much, I bought a stencil off of Amazon to put on the range balls 😜

to be fair, it took me 3 holes until I fell in love with TT.

The CSX LS continue to perform well for me. Long, penetrating driver flight. More mid-ish for me in irons with good spin, but not spinning up, have backed up wedge approaches, and is just checking like crazy around the greens today. Have to watch it with our grain here, which is generally a sign that it has plenty.

On the green, thesec are my thoughts.

So since it's getting strong consideration from me, thank you Callaway Golf, for making it WITHOUT TT. :D

The CSX LS continue to perform well for me. Long, penetrating driver flight. More mid-ish for me in irons with good spin, but not spinning up, have backed up wedge approaches, and is just checking like crazy around the greens today. Have to watch it with our grain here, which is generally a sign that it has plenty.

On the green, thesec are my thoughts.

So since it's getting strong consideration from me, thank you Callaway Golf, for making it WITHOUT TT. :D

I'm giving you a fire emoji regardless of the last five words :ROFLMAO:

Credit where credit is due - I have yet to have a single less than full wedge approach react in a way that I didn't really like, or that wasn't quite right/make sense, or anything. I had some with that old cover. This was me playing my favorite partial cut wedge a minute ago.

Just sticky.

I need to find me a sleeve of the CSX and CSX-LS to test these out!

Back