The dreaded question....."which group of irons should I consider purchasing?"

I have a set of AP2's that should be arriving to me this week...so I guess you know what my advice would be. BUT like everybody said, get fitted. The Mizuno Shaft Optimizer put me in PX5.5 or KBS Tour Stiff and I went with the KBS. Dynamic Golds are a common standard in clubs of the category you are looking at, but they may not be for you.

If you want to be frugal, the Adams A4-R is a great club that we almost never talk about.

In a similar boat as you (20-25 yrs ago was my golfing peak, never did break 80 but shot it twice and lots of low 80's rounds) and coming back to the game, I made a mistake and went to a wide bottom sole. It psyched me out badly. I kept them a month then went and bought the Burner 2.0's last week and am thrilled. The one thing you might not like, the swing weight with steel shafts is fairly heavy - D3.5. It sounds like I don't swing as fast as you (under 80mph with a 6i), I like how the heavier swingweight lets me feel the stability of the clubhead throughout my swing. They don't look that big or wide at address (wondering if the black finish helps 'hide' that a bit?), are VERY forgiving, and long....and have a leading edge that gives me confidence. I'm 48, 6'0" 180 lbs, not overly strong but still fairly flexible - the R steel was a perfect fit for me right off the rack, dead on length and lie and flex after a fitting. It wouldn't be hard to find them in S flex.

Good luck in the search, hope you have as much fun as I'm having coming back to the game.

You might also want to look at both versions of the Mizuno 800 - I badly wanted to like the non-pro set, but just didn't hit them as well. I also really liked the Cleveland CG16's, and they will swing lighter than the Burners but give you most of the forgiveness.

Heavy shafts actually lighten swing weight, but make the entire club heavier.
In a similar boat as you (20-25 yrs ago was my golfing peak, never did break 80 but shot it twice and lots of low 80's rounds) and coming back to the game, I made a mistake and went to a wide bottom sole. It psyched me out badly. I kept them a month then went and bought the Burner 2.0's last week and am thrilled. The one thing you might not like, the swing weight with steel shafts is fairly heavy - D3.5. It sounds like I don't swing as fast as you (under 80mph with a 6i), I like how the heavier swingweight lets me feel the stability of the clubhead throughout my swing. They don't look that big or wide at address (wondering if the black finish helps 'hide' that a bit?), are VERY forgiving, and long....and have a leading edge that gives me confidence. I'm 48, 6'0" 180 lbs, not overly strong but still fairly flexible - the R steel was a perfect fit for me right off the rack, dead on length and lie and flex after a fitting. It wouldn't be hard to find them in S flex.

Good luck in the search, hope you have as much fun as I'm having coming back to the game.

You might also want to look at both versions of the Mizuno 800 - I badly wanted to like the non-pro set, but just didn't hit them as well. I also really liked the Cleveland CG16's, and they will swing lighter than the Burners but give you most of the forgiveness.

Heavy shafts actually lighten swing weight, but make the entire club heavier.

Well, (off the top of my head) TM lists the Burner 2.0's with graphite at D1 vs steel at D3.5, though I admit to not having a clue what weight those various shafts are.

Just going off what you listed I would go Razr Tours all day everyday. Absolutely the most underrated iron out there.

Fine irons even if I hit the lesser cousins.

Again, of the iron sets you provided and the scores you quoted I truly believe you are headed in the wrong direction. The weight of clubs has little to do with the shape of the sole or topline! Don't play yourself into a set of clubs. Do the reverse. Pick what fits.

Thanks, Keto. I plan on posting my experience with the club selection so this should be an interesting process. Getting my youngest son fitted for my old Tommy's this week so the hunt for new irons is in full swing!

Well, I have taken the first step and actually scheduled a fitting analysis with Golftec in B'ham. Scheduled for the 13th of this month. I guess we will see what happens from there.

Back