The dreaded question....."which group of irons should I consider purchasing?"

burmbuster

Reaction score
Handicap
The dreaded question....."which group of irons should I consider purchasing?"

OK, I am getting back into the game after a number of years. I can tell you that I was a mid to high 80's player years back and after playing for the last six weeks I am in the mid 90's for now. So now I want some new sticks. Seems there are more quality choices now than ever before. Please chime in on your advise as to what 3 sets I should consider based on my current ability and a few notables as follows:
- I do not like wide soles, they are too heavy of a club for my swing speed.
- The clubs I purchase will be custom
- I was considering the Taylormade MC's but your reviews have scared the hell out of me.
My current list is Callaway razr x tour, Taylormade MC, or Titleist AP2.
Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Well, first off, we need to consider just how good of a striker you are. Those clubs there are a pretty tall order, and unless you are confident in you ability, I would stray away from them. A club that comes to mind that might do great for you is the Srixon Z-Star. It looks like a players club but packs tons of forgiveness from what I have read. Others you could look at are the X-24 and X-22 irons. they are not exactly shovels, but are midsized and easy to hit. I own the 22's myself, and I think they are fantastic.

I will recommend the MP 53s. They are the sister set to the ones I have, the 53s, and are more forgiving due to a smaller cavity back design and have the thin sole you like. Also, the AP2s might be good, along with Titlest CBs.

What scares you about the MCs? I have them and love them! The RAZR Tours are also great irons. I am not a big fan of the Titleist irons, but that is just me. Also, I would not hesitate to check out the Taylormade CBs. These irons are great! I have a combo set with the MCs in my short irons an the CBs in my long irons. The sole is not wide at all. If I was recommending something I would say.

TM CBs
RAZR Tours
TM MCs (maybe less forgiving than the RAZR Tours)
AP2s

Of the 3 you listed I only tried the Titleists AP1's, not for me. Don't think the AP2's would have made it any better. Can't tell you what to hit, but I want clubs with a bit more forgiveness. Big reason I am moving out of my MX200s is I found some irons that did everything the 200s do, but the quality of misses is superior in the newer set I have incoming (Redlines). Buy what you hit best on crappy shots and fine tune it from there. When you pure it with any club the results will be great. I can't guarantee I will pure every shot so I picked the irons that gave me the best feel, distance, and accuracy on the misses. Has to awesome on the screws as well, big check there for the Redlines. Good luck and you'll love whatever you get I am sure!

The Mizuno MP 53s are hard to hit! Going with your requirements I would also suggest

TM CBs
TM Burner 2.0s
Srixon Z Stars
Cleveland CG16s or CG 16 Tours
Boccieri Heavy Irons (fits all of your prerequisites and they are super easy to hit)

These were some of the big winners from the demo day. I would focus on this group as well as the Callaways. I think they fit your demands and will offer the forgiveness that will make the game more enjoyable.

Jacob,
Thanks for the advise. I really like the looks of the 24's but the sole is pretty wide. Never the less, I will give them a serious look.

Of the 3 you listed I only tried the Titleists AP1's, not for me. Don't think the AP2's would have made it any better. Can't tell you what to hit, but I want clubs with a bit more forgiveness. Big reason I am moving out of my MX200s is I found some irons that did everything the 200s do, but the quality of misses is superior in the newer set I have incoming (Redlines). Buy what you hit best on crappy shots and fine tune it from there. When you pure it with any club the results will be great. I can't guarantee I will pure every shot so I picked the irons that gave me the best feel, distance, and accuracy on the misses. Has to awesome on the screws as well, big check there for the Redlines. Good luck and you'll love whatever you get I am sure!

Thats great advise. I appreciate the input.

Have you tried at the adams cb2's? I have hit them a few times found them to be petty forgiving and I love the black look you may want to give them a try.

Some more friendly advice, once you have decided which irons you are going to buy make sure to get fitted for them

I have been looking at the X22's and X24's tonight myself as I feel that I need a set of GI irons now

The Mizuno MP 53s are hard to hit! Going with your requirements I would also suggest

TM CBs
TM Burner 2.0s
Srixon Z Stars
Cleveland CG16s or CG 16 Tours
Boccieri Heavy Irons (fits all of your prerequisites and they are super easy to hit)

These were some of the big winners from the demo day. I would focus on this group as well as the Callaways. I think they fit your demands and will offer the forgiveness that will make the game more enjoyable.

Wow. The Srixons look really good. I have heard mixed reviews on the CB's but are probably worth a look. Thanks for the great input.

Some more friendly advice, once you have decided which irons you are going to buy make sure to get fitted for them

I have been looking at the X22's and X24's tonight myself as I feel that I need a set of GI irons now

You are absolutely right. Which brings me to another question, if I have a fast swing should I go with a stiff shaft like an S300 or go with regular flex?

A fitting will help you determine that :D

Have you tried at the adams cb2's? I have hit them a few times found them to be petty forgiving and I love the black look you may want to give them a try.

I have never hit an Adams club. Looks good though. I have added them to my list. Thanks!

You are absolutely right. Which brings me to another question, if I have a fast swing should I go with a stiff shaft like an S300 or go with regular flex?

Best thing I can tell you is find a shop that has a tool called the Mizuno Shaft optimizer. It is an outstanding thing that looks at your iron swings and spits out the perfect shaft for you.

What scares you about the MCs? I have them and love them! The RAZR Tours are also great irons. I am not a big fan of the Titleist irons, but that is just me. Also, I would not hesitate to check out the Taylormade CBs. These irons are great! I have a combo set with the MCs in my short irons an the CBs in my long irons. The sole is not wide at all. If I was recommending something I would say.

TM CBs
RAZR Tours
TM MCs (maybe less forgiving than the RAZR Tours)
AP2s

From the reviews I have read, they play a little short compared to others and they aren't as forgiving as I thought they would be. But, with that said, I havent hit them yet either.

Best thing I can tell you is find a shop that has a tool called the Mizuno Shaft optimizer. It is an outstanding thing that looks at your iron swings and spits out the perfect shaft for you.

Thanks, Jacob. I will call my local Edwin Watts and see what they use.

I would (this being me) at the MC's and CB's
Nike Pro Combo
Burner 2.0
Adams CB

All are great irons i thinks...

Thanks, Jacob. I will call my local Edwin Watts and see what they use.

I 2nd using the Shaft Optimizer and while you are there try the Mizuno JPX800 Pro irons. They are excellent and IMO NOBODY makes a irons as good as Mizuno.
Good Luck

The "Dreaded Answer: Get FITTED"

Beyond that, I have the Z-Star's and love them. They are a mix of a player/game-improvement iron IMO. Good luck, keep us posted.

Like Jacob said a shop with the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer all the Golfsmith's have them and they did it for free.They also have alot the clubs you can hit right there. Good luck

Far be it for me to discourage you from buying one of the three sets you listed. But you want to be sure you get a set of irons that will enhance your golfing experience. The last thing you want to create frustration with your game. My advise is that you take some time and get fit properly. If at the end of the fitting you find that one of those three are for you, enjoy them. But something tells me after you swing a few different sets you will be surprised. Good luck and happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldnt agree more

I couldnt agree more

Far be it for me to discourage you from buying one of the three sets you listed. But you want to be sure you get a set of irons that will enhance your golfing experience. The last thing you want to create frustration with your game. My advise is that you take some time and get fit properly. If at the end of the fitting you find that one of those three are for you, enjoy them. But something tells me after you swing a few different sets you will be surprised. Good luck and happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to my local Edwin Watts Superstore this week to find out a few things. What lie do I need and what shaft flex fits the best. I will also hit what demos they have. If they don't have what I am loooking for then I will travel 3 hrs to B'ham to visit their Golfsmith store. I want to make sure I get this right the first time, considering the investment I am about to make.

Regards

Just going off what you listed I would go Razr Tours all day everyday. Absolutely the most underrated iron out there.

I am going to my local Edwin Watts Superstore this week to find out a few things. What lie do I need and what shaft flex fits the best. I will also hit what demos they have. If they don't have what I am loooking for then I will travel 3 hrs to B'ham to visit their Golfsmith store. I want to make sure I get this right the first time, considering the investment I am about to make.

Regards

That Golfsmith is where I had my fitting, and they have a nice selection. Pretty nice bays for testing too.

Back