LIVE UPDATE THREAD The 2021 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

Well, my day 4 recap is (finally) ready to publish, but am going to wait until later this week. The Quest Cup live event thread is going on right now and deserves all the attention, as the crews there are doing an amazing jobs. So if you haven’t already, peep over there and enjoy that experience, it’s been a great follow!

That this thread continues makes me smile

Well, my day 4 recap is (finally) ready to publish, but am going to wait until later this week. The Quest Cup live event thread is going on right now and deserves all the attention, as the crews there are doing an amazing jobs. So if you haven’t already, peep over there and enjoy that experience, it’s been a great follow!
I was just over there and you made me come over here 🤣🤣🤣

Always makes me smile to see this thread come up. You guys did such a great job, and it was an amazing follow. I need to go back and re-read the whole thing again. Really a special one!

Look what came in! Thank you again @Golfers Anonymous and the rest of the '21 Grandaddy team. You guys are amazing!

Following along with the '21 Grandaddy showed me just how awesome this place really is and I'm not talking about the event (although the event is absolutely mind blowing).

This event was my first real opportunity to see how well the forum interacted with each other. It's like we are one big family. It made me comfortable to be here and be a part of it. Each of you have been very inviting, in many instances very helpful and kind.

The reviews you all gave over the year on the equipment and answering questions have been stellar. You are great stewards of the community and the Callaway brand.

Thank you again for your generosity. The bag tag, towel, tees and ball marker are things I'll cherish for many rounds of golf to come.

To the '22 Grandaddy team. While the whole team hasn't been set yet, you are going to be a GREAT team. I look forward to cheering you on during the experience and reading what you have to say about the new equipment once you can finally talk about it.

20220520_061445.jpg20220520_061452.jpg

Look what came in! Thank you again @Golfers Anonymous and the rest of the '21 Grandaddy team. You guys are amazing!

Following along with the '21 Grandaddy showed me just how awesome this place really is and I'm not talking about the event (although the event is absolutely mind blowing).

This event was my first real opportunity to see how well the forum interacted with each other. It's like we are one big family. It made me comfortable to be here and be a part of it. Each of you have been very inviting, in many instances very helpful and kind.

The reviews you all gave over the year on the equipment and answering questions have been stellar. You are great stewards of the community and the Callaway brand.

Thank you again for your generosity. The bag tag, towel, tees and ball marker are things I'll cherish for many rounds of golf to come.

To the '22 Grandaddy team. While the whole team hasn't been set yet, you are going to be a GREAT team. I look forward to cheering you on during the experience and reading what you have to say about the new equipment once you can finally talk about it.

View attachment 9090818View attachment 9090819

That is AWESOME wow! thank you for the support!

Well, the long awaited xThor Day 4 finale recap has finally arrived 😬

A long time ago (6 months) in a state far, far away (California)…
I’m so excited to relive that week and day again, and post the day 4/final recap.

Part 1: All aboard the hype train

After a blisteringly fun night at Al’s, it is now singles day. This one is for all the urethane microsphere marbles. Tied at 6-6, it’s anyones belt.

The morning started like most others. I was up early, perusing the thread, and enjoying some breakfast as more and more people showed up to engage in conversation and shenanigans. I loved these moments. From some signature @JohnnyRodCG quotes, to @NickMcCG antics, we even had a unicorn show up. This led to an educational lecture on the original and abridged history of the Furry Movement. @JB really seemed to love this part. Then we started talking about butt flaps and it was time to disperse…

EEB553BB-F5A4-4384-BE29-30B184BCA913.jpeg

437FB45E-3578-4F1F-B9BD-EFE438CBD40E.jpeg

That meant, time to get ready for the quick bus ride over to the arena, but first a swing lesson from the Love Doctor @Tevenor and some discussion on the mechanics of power with Royce and Paul.

9EAB7492-B23D-4F44-943A-6E2E05FE2774.jpeg

Like yesterday, the bus became silent as we entered the gates to The Hideaway. Today was a bit different. The quiet amazement was still there, but also the sense of unfinished business. There was work to be done. Yet, another feeling was lingering. This was it. TOday is the last day of this amazing trip. We were all lucky enough to be apart of something great, and we had one day left to enjoy it, before it becomes a memory that we cling to. Riding high on the picks made in the livestream odds show from @jda @elit and @canada, it was time.

Part 2: The calm before the storm

Sliders. All of the sliders. They are so good. Eat them. Share them. Enjoy them. Make videos with the AssCap @dacatalyst41 about how amazing they are. The are the Sun on this overcast day.

74408E3E-3B4E-4C0E-ACA4-85B298F32486.jpeg

Ah yes, the forecast. Weather.

It’s a gloomy day. It knows we have reached the climax, headed to the summit, and has foreshadowed doom. Or it was just a little cloudy and, while dry, the air was cool and damp. This was the weather from movies, as a storm lingers above, and tensions are high on the ground. Perfect for a quick trip to the Pro Shop to buy a Hideaway jacket, among many many other things.

You could see everyone getting dialed in on the range. Lots of smiling and laughing, but with the knowledge that there is some (friendly) competition, and a belt on the line. We wrap up the warm ups, make way to our carts, and get ready or battle.

In this foursome, we have Royce from Team Callaway versus our beloved @RealPretendPsychic , and @Luke WilliamsCG versus myself. Some fancy positioning on behalf of Royce and RPP has placed both Luke and myself in the same cart. Have you ever rode with a match play opponent? Let’s see how it turns out, as we head to our opening tee, the long par 3 with water in play, the Pete Dye 17th.

Part 3: Duel of the Fates

Luke came into this year’s Grandaddy with an unblemished singles record. 4-0. He was a titan of the competition. It was going to take a monumental effort just to keep up, as the man is a known golfer of balls. I mean, just look at this face the moment he learned I was his opponent.

BF058421-6364-4D8A-9B04-7B8477AF26E9.png

Luke Reaction Gif

Although deep down i think he knew this was a moment two years in the making, and call it fate, destiny, or the universe converging to make this singular moment possible; some may have called it a level of uneasiness, and yet a familiar comfort knowing how close we would physically be all day.

Our opening hole, the Dye 17th, is a long par 3, water all the way up the left side, to an undulating green. Left is dead, right is rough. I elected to launch a high draw with a 4 iron and landed just right of the green, sitting up in some rough about pin high. A statement shot on the opening hole. Luke unfortunately went a bit left, and splashed into the water. Up and down par for me, and first blood was drawn. 1 up.

Onto the 18th, I won another hole to go 2 up, but more importantly hit up a beverage station with @Realpre afterward, before headed to the 1st tee.
Skipping around, I won hole 2 to go 3 up through 4. Lost hole 4, and halved a bunch of holes to end up at 2 up through 8 holes. Before we head to the legendary 7th hole, we’ll talk about the dynamics of the round.

This is where riding with the competitor can feel a bit awkward at times. If one person is playing well, and the other may be underperforming to their standard, the dynamic can be weird and quiet. This is a friendly competition, the greatest amateur event ever created, and nobody was to make anyone feel uncomfortable at all. Thankfully, Luke is as cool as it gets, and we had a great time together, talked about golf and life, and putters, and generally just enjoyed each other’s company, truly living up to the spirit of the Grandaddy.

meanwhile, @RealPretendPsychic and Royce were having one of the most incredible matches I have ever seen play out, but more on that later.

Last edited:
Part 4: “Oh $#!7, I just broke the Hideaway”

Hole number 7 is a hole that I will remember for the rest of my life. To preface, let’s give some context to events leading up to this moment.
Being properly fit for a driver changed my game/life/perception of a driver. Having @JohnnyRodCG help me develop some confidence off the tee let me swing freely. And the Rogue ST Max LS is just a hammer of a club (aka Mjolnir). Back to the tee on hole 7.

A long a decently straight par 5. If you have ever watched the 2002 Sci-Fi alien thriller movie starring Mel Gibson: Signs, you would recognize the titular catchphrase, Swing Away.

So swing away I did with a beautiful draw. Over the mound on the left, across the cartpath, and out of sight. Let’s lay out the visual of where the ball ended up.

Everything on this hole kind of slopes from right to left. Left of the cartpath is a dirt slope and trees, it flattens our at the cartpath, then right of the cartpath the rough slopes to the right down to the fairway.

So my ball ends up laying in a patch of grass left of the cartpath, but before you get up the dirt hill. I called our caddy over to help understand scenarios and possible drop options. After some discussions, it was determined that my any drop scenario would not be as beneficial, and he recommended just to have a 2 part approach.

Step 1: hit the ball
Step 2: don’t hit the vertical sprinkler head.

I executed perfectly on the first step. A beautiful A Wedge recovery right back to the middle of the fairway.

Step 2? Epic failure. My follow through had the shaft nearly wrap it, and it snapped clean off at the pvc base. This was when my downstairs went into clench mode. I looked down and see water starting to shoot straight up. Oh Lordy. Our playing host called up to the shop to let them know, but I had just a clear existential sense of dread, as I walked to the cart. Looking down at my club, and it was hinged, and then just fell into 2 pieces. I looked at @RealPretendPsychic and said “oh $#!7, i just broke the Hideaway”

Following this misadventure, and never one to miss a chance to get into someone’s head, @Luke WilliamsCG began asking if that meant I forfeited the hole, or if it was going to be me getting asked to leave the course immediately and be banned for life. I was a rollercoaster of emotion.

And yet, somehow I saved par and halved the hole….

Here is that view captured from RPP’s perspective: Rip Sprinkler Head

Part 5: Cart Wars

I won hole 8, lost hole 9, and made the turn 2 up with 7 to play. Halving hole 10, I caught a second wind, and won the next 3 holes to finish it off 5&3, and hand Luke his first singles loss. What an absolute blast of a match, from the shots, to the joking, to committing property damage, to the laughs that resulted.

Meanwhile, the RPP and Royce match was so fun to watch. Royce can hammer the ball, but RPP can be sneakily sniper like. This match was back and forth on every hole. And the shots that these guys had to make were simply incredible. RPP taking a shot from off the cartpath. Royce DEEP in the bushes making an incredible recovery. It was like that the entire round and so insane to watch. @RealPretendPsychic even almost fell into the stream at one point to make a shot.

I have to give some major props to @RealPretendPsychic for the way their match ended. 2 down with 3 to play, he won the first, and halved the second hole. It was our last hole, 16, and RPP was down by 1. I just found out that Team Callaway had won the Grandaddy. I walked over to him in the fairway after our tee shots and let him know. We were still all smiles, but knew it was over for the belt. But to his credit, he still had some fight left in this match, and gutted out a great hole to get to all square and halve the match.

I couldn’t have asked for a better foursome to play with on singles day.

Part 6: “Who is Neil”

Well, it’s me, but when the pro shop is asking for you in the crowd by name, there’s a bit of concern when answering, given the context. Especially when he has a paper in his hand, and walks you off to the side away from the group. Then he presented me the invoice for the violence I committed on hole number 7.

Here’s what was happening in my head:
My first thought: I felt sooooo bad that it happened.
Second thought: $334 is a lot of money, this is going to be fun to explain to the wife.
Third thought: let me know how to pay
Fourth: why is everyone else laughing
Final thought: @Luke WilliamsCG had to get in one last shot, and it was so perfectly pulled of a prank.

I truly thought it was legit for the first several minutes.

Captain @MattyD-MPLS caught it on video xThor Gets The Bill

Last edited:
Part 7: Is this the end?

Lots of emotions happening now. Everyone is worn out, there’s elation from Team Callaway on winning the belt, joy from Team THP on being part of this incredible experience, and a level of sadness when the brick wall of reality hits you that this week is coming to a close.

It’s dark outside now, as we embark on the bus ride back to Carlsbad.

F7F18D6A-11ED-40A7-8369-6B046D2C471E.jpeg

What a sobering feeling, knowing that you’ve just finished the greatest golf experience you could have imagined, with the greatest group of people you have ever met.
And what better way to wash that down, than with another trip to In-N-Out for burgers, fries, and shakes! It certainly helped the taste of defeat and finality not be as bitter.

Some conversations on the bus, some napping, and next thing you know, you are right back in Carlsbad at Callaway HQ, and ready to say the goodbyes.

The Callaway folks treated us like family for the week, and it was difficult to have it end, but I enjoyed every second of it. Hugs, handshakes, smiles and waves. Team THP was now headed back to the hotel, for one last night of sleep, then hopping on an airplane to return home as Grandaddy alumnus.

Part 8: No, it wasn’t the end

A surprise waited for us at the hotel, and one that nobody expected. @vgolfman was going to hang out and chat with us in the lobby. This was super special to be able to meet him in person, and pick his brain for the wealth of knowledge the lives within it. From clubs, to Coke Zero, to fittings and everything in between. He even wore his No 3Jacks hat to make us jealous. But his answers and conversation helped me more than he could realize, as i begin my journey into become a fitter.

A1179D6C-92DC-4335-AC81-656EDE5B4F8D.png

Part 9: Now It’s Over

And now, it truly was the end. Some goodbyes to a few with early flights, and up to my room to pack up for the trip home. Breakfast in the morning with a couple fellas, and then then onto the loneliest car ride in the history of golf: heading to the airport after the Grandaddy ends. Looking out the window on that drive as the emotion and memories of the week flood back in, replaying moments in your head, wishing it wasn’t over, but so very thankful you were a part of it.

I can’t say enough good things about my teammates/brothers @MattyD-MPLS @dacatalyst41 @Afizzle2100 @Vader @Muchmore18 @Tevenor @blazinden @cm24 @Nappy @93civiccpe @RealPretendPsychic @Golfers Anonymous or the people from Callaway. I miss it bad. The Grandaddy 2021 was an incredible event. Thank you so much to @JB , @GolferGal , @JasonFinleyCG and everyone else, for letting me be a part of it.

A4DBF32D-918A-4744-8FC2-B5E82B6848D4.jpeg

6F0249AE-A608-4902-AEFE-E607881CC458.jpeg

Last edited:
I love that this is finally happening @xThor

That was some of the best recappings of a day I have ever read. Loved every minute.

That was a great recap. I think I've read this thread a few times - everything about it was is so special.

You pick up something new every time you read it. Just so much going on. I am sure every time a past member of the Grandaddy reads one of these threads (or even the current one), some of the feels come back to them.

You pick up something new every time you read it. Just so much going on. I am sure every time a past member of the Grandaddy reads one of these threads (or even the current one), some of the feels come back to them.
It does for sure. They are memories that can't be replaced or forgotten.
We may not still play the gear we where given but doesn't change the fact that we are grateful for the opportunity we received and the friendships made.
I would love to go back someday and do it all again.

It does for sure. They are memories that can't be replaced or forgotten.
We may not still play the gear we where given but doesn't change the fact that we are grateful for the opportunity we received and the friendships made.
I would love to go back someday and do it all again.

This is what it is all about!

Back