Driver Shaft Weight

BeanieTX

Reaction score
Handicap
Besides the obvious difference in swing weights, why would someone choose a heavier driver shaft over a lighter shaft? Or vice versa? Example, what difference would the 70g Kai'li have over the 60g?

This is straight off the Diamana website:

Diamana White Board 73 X 46.0 73 0.335 3.0 0.600 2.8 HIGH
Diamana White Board 83 X 46.0 84 0.335 3.0 0.600 2.8 HIGH

So each shaft has the same flex, length, tip diameter, butt diameter, torque and kick point. So why choose one over the other? Sorry if this question seems a little elementary, but I'm still attempting to learn.

Thanks!
Brian

Why do some like ProV versus ProVx?

Sometimes people find their "Ah Hah" moment with one over the other.

I've been debating the same thing lately. I love the DVS in my Monster, but need a stiffer flex. I know that aldila's website only shows 60gr. but on other sites you can find a 70gr. Shaft. I don't know which to get and have no way to try either out.

In the end its about fitting. Weight brings in balance especially with head weight. Finding optimal launch numbers is the only way to go in my opinion and is more readily available to consumers than ever before.

In the end its about fitting. Weight brings in balance especially with head weight. Finding optimal launch numbers is the only way to go in my opinion and is more readily available to consumers than ever before.

So you're saying that the 83 could be better for me that the 73 because the heavier weight would/could bring the launch angle to a better spot. Or the 73 could be better than the 83 for the same reasons. That makes sense.

Thank you for the answer JB! That post explains it much better than just "an Ah Hah moment". I knew there had to be reasons why all manufacturer's have varying weight thru their shaft lines.

Doesn't some of the shaft fitting, in terms of weight of the shaft, have to do with the individuals swing speed?

So you're saying that the 83 could be better for me that the 73 because the heavier weight would/could bring the launch angle to a better spot. Or the 73 could be better than the 83 for the same reasons. That makes sense. .

A proper fitting will find exactly what works for someone.

Doesn't some of the shaft fitting, in terms of weight of the shaft, have to do with the individuals swing speed?

It can, but not always. Many times swing speed is largely overplayed in finding the right shaft.

So you're saying that the 83 could be better for me that the 73 because the heavier weight would/could bring the launch angle to a better spot. Or the 73 could be better than the 83 for the same reasons. That makes sense.

Thank you for the answer JB! That post explains it much better than just "an Ah Hah moment". I knew there had to be reasons why all manufacturer's have varying weight thru their shaft lines.

Sorry I could not be more technical. :confused2:

I was being fitted for a stiffer shaft on my burner 2.0 driver. I was between a x-stiff and a 2x. I went with the lesser flex and cut it down a tad to add a lil more stiffness(his words). ended up with a Aldila NV 55 X. I was told the cons of more flex are not as bad as the cons of too little flex. That kinda sealed it that i would go with the one i know i can control.

I went with a heavier shaft on my driver (Aldila NV 85 X) it's about 30 grams heavier than the original shaft. I like it a lot better. I can feel the club more through the course of my swing and it gives me the sensation of having more control. I'm a decently long hitter that has trouble with driving accuracy. The heavier shaft was more accurate for me while the distance loss wasn't noticeable due to lessening my swing speed (marginally).

A proper fitting will find exactly what works for someone.

It can, but not always. Many times swing speed is largely overplayed in finding the right shaft.

I am still learning...thank you for the info as I did not realize that it was not as important as it is usually made out to be.

I am still learning...thank you for the info as I did not realize that it was not as important as it is usually made out to be.

Dont get me wrong. It is very important. But we constantly hear "You swing 105, you need this flex". That is just not the way it works unfortunately.

Dont get me wrong. It is very important. But we constantly hear "You swing 105, you need this flex". That is just not the way it works unfortunately.

For fitters, is swing speed a good place to start, and then add in the AoA, swing path, load, spin, trajectory, etc to get to the right shaft flex & specs? Is this the process of a "good fitter"?

So swing speed, +swing path, +launch angle = correct shaft? Is there more that goes into it? Maybe this is not the right forum for this.

For fitters, is swing speed a good place to start, and then add in the AoA, swing path, load, spin, trajectory, etc to get to the right shaft flex & specs? Is this the process of a "good fitter"?

So swing speed, +swing path, +launch angle = correct shaft? Is there more that goes into it? Maybe this is not the right forum for this.

It all works together. I am not sure I think any one is more important than the other. Sure swing speed and tempo could result in correct flex, but there is far more to it than that.

Some like to know where it is when you take it back. Lighter shafts I seem to have that problem. I feel more more comfortable with little heavier driver/wood shafts.

Back