I bought my father a blue strike chipper and he loves it. So glad I bought it for him. He used to really struggle with chipping and now he's pretty reasonable. I actually tried a chip with it today (I'm a righty and he's a lefty) and I nearly holed it from off the green, lefty.

For those that say its a 7 iron, that's like saying a 7 wood is a 3 hybrid which is a 3 iron. The clubs are designed very differently. Speaking to the blue strike chipper, it is significantly heavier than a 7 iron and has a lie angle to allow you to have more of a putting type action. Not even close unless you play SGI shovel irons and your lie angles are like 5 up.

I play every so often with guys who are horrid chippers/pitchers and they sadly would never consider one of these.

IMHO, if you really struggle around the greens, one of these could make the game a lot more fun for you. I'm all for the fun..... have the fun guys.

Last edited:
Nope! I'll take my chances with blading a wedge across the green from time to time. Lower scores are overrated any way.

That's not a chipper in my book. Just a slightly thicker backed iron.

Interesting club. I'm not opposed to a chipper but I doubt I would ever use it

That's not a chipper in my book. Just a slightly thicker backed iron.
With a 70* lie angle ?? That would be one upright iron.

For those concerned about what club to drop, typically when I‘ve gamed a chipper I‘ve taken out my three wood. It’s a coin toss for me off the deck and only 15 yds more than my three hybrid off the tee.

I’ve wondered about replacing my 54 and 58 with a 56 and a chipper but haven’t gone that direction yet.

Definitely doesn't look bad, if it lowers the frustration level for some people from 50 and in I'm all for it.

Fantastic. My Cleveland C is 42 degrees. This is 38. Perfect bump and run gapping. Somebody can make a comment….fine. I’ll be making Pars. 😀

I hate having to say it but after enduring terrible chipping for a season plus - which is more demoralizing than even the S word - I’d absolutely use a club like this.

I just pulled my old Ping Chipo to give it a play. I don’t know if I would bag it all the time, but if I was playing a links course it might replace my lob wedge

You all are just talking dirty in here with this. The chipper will always hold a special place in my heart even though it has been replaced by two of the most beautiful golf clubs I've ever experienced. (My two Edel SMS wedges)

But just for a little nostalgia... R.I.P. 37* Pinemeadow...R.I.P. (IYKYK...if not...well...should've been on the forum a year ago,)
View attachment 9103722

We know brother. We know and :rip:

Agreed. I also didn't see anywhere in the article describing where this is really any different from a normal 8-iron besides length. I'm assuming this is supposed to be easier to hit than a standard iron? It's tough to tell in the pics if the sole is larger or if there is anything going on with the bounce.
Yeah, I think it fits for some people especially if you are used to using a chipper or that's something that you want but if it's close enough to an 8i (which I don't know whether it is or not) it doesn't fill an existing gap for me.

Doesn't change that it looks good though, especially for a product I normally associate a chunky look with.

Chipping is one of the strengths of my game and I love to put in time at the chipping green. I really love my sand and lob wedge for chipping. A club like this does not appeal to me.

But I know a bunch of golfers struggle with this aspect of their game. Anything that helps save shots, helps around the green and doesn’t require a lot of time practicing would be welcomed by those that struggle.

Chipping is a weakness for me. I have tried various methods over the years. Hitting with the bounce. Hinge and hold. A putting chip stroke. At best I become somewhat mediocre. But for all the work I put into it, I feel like Iose more strokes in the short game than I gain.

I remember our league opener when I first joined the league 4 years ago. On the opening hole and bladed three chips across the green. Later that round a guy, trying to be helpful, asked if I'd ever looked into a chipper.

The guy I knew in the league who had known of my short game struggles busted out laughing and has given me a hard time about it.

But you know what, I'm ashamed to admit I'd buy one if it would improve my game.

Swingweight of E6 is interesting. Will feel quite different from any 9i

I’m all for anything that makes golf easier and that leads to having more fun. Looks good, but if I wanted a chipper, I would go Cleveland Smart Sole C. My halo 8 iron is almost a glorified chipper itself.

actually that's not bad

$195?

actually that's bad

It looks decent, better than I thought it would actually.

Would I game one? Maybe. Why not. I have used all sorts of other specialty stuff, might as well give it a go if the chance ever popped up.

I use a chipper but I am probably NOT spending $195 on one most likely.
It looks nice and doesn't have the typical chipper look.

It would have to be magic when I picked it up to spend that much.

I am using my chipper more often these days from 30-40 yards. Its great when there is nothing protecting the greens!

Last edited:
actually that's not bad

$195?

actually that's bad
It’s still a decent amount but I’ve seen the steel version listed at $177

I wanted a chipper for a while but didn't want to be laughed at for using one. This may not get any laughs.

I wanted a chipper for a while but didn't want to be laughed at for using one. This may not get any laughs.

I’ve been using the smart sole all this season. I play as a single and get grouped up a lot. Not one person has ever said anything about it or even asked about it. Usually they might say nice chip then I say not bad for a chipper which usually sparks some conversation about it. End of the conversation is usually. Hmm I need to try one of those

Back