The Edel Fitting Experience

Go
Alright Iā€™ve got some time here on the drive home so here goes. My fitting was at the gorgeous Glencoe Golf and Country Club in Calgary, AB. Driving up we were greeted with views of snow capped mountains, massive groups of pine trees, and lush greenery. I love the mountains, and this area is one of my favourite places in Alberta. The Glencoe is a members-only facility, I donā€™t have a whole lot of exposure to that side of things so I felt a little out of place but was greeted really nicely when I checked in at the pro shop and was directed down to the practice facility. The grounds are beautiful, from what I saw of the course it looked incredible, and the practice area was gorgeous. A large 100 yard pitching area flanks a small pond with a small 3-hole putting green, there was a larger 4 hole practice green towards the back left, and a massive grass range with a small fitting shack, all surrounded to the north by large spruce trees providing some nice shade from the July heat. I made my way into the fitting shack with my putter and was greeted by my fitter, Kevin. We chatted briefly about the current state of my game, and he had a chuckle about me winning ā€œthe golf lotteryā€ with my spot at the Quest Cup. He took a look at the putter I brought with me (Cobra Stingray), and asked me a few questions about what I liked, how comfortable I was with it, the length, etc. I explained that currently itā€™s the one that seems to be working the best for me (I would NOT say Iā€™m a skilled or confident putter) and he affixed the mirror shard to the face and we did the alignment test. I was actually in pretty good alignment with it, but was very high up on the screen. He asked if I wanted to stick with a mallet and I said I wanted to make more putts (did not mention the bet with Mrs. G). He put together a 1.0 and let me take aim, and it was good, but he said he wanted to get the loft down. He put together a few more combinations, including the 4.0 in a similar length/hosel, which got pretty close, but as soon as he started trying adding lines to it, it got progressively worse so it was discarded. Combinations were tried, and nothing got close to the 1.0 with no alignment and the forward hosel. After a few walk-ins and set ups behind the ball with this configuration, all with the same centre cup laser 6ā€ over the cup, he explained that the line on my Cobra might be causing a bit of the loft issue, and the absence of a line was bringing it down a fair bit, and we started the string weight test. He threw down a few balls, and told me to take a single practice stroke with one, and then hit a few putts. Combinations were tried, I kept my mouth shut (despite the questions swirling around my head), and focused on maintaining the same constant set-up and posture, and figured when we found the magic bullet it would present itself. After about 5-6, he said ā€œhow does that one feel compared to the second one we tried?ā€, and all I could say was ā€œit feelsā€¦..right?ā€ Itā€™s hard to describe, like when you grab one off the rack and roll a few and think ā€œitā€™s almost perfectā€. He took it back from me, replaced the head weight, and had me roll a few more, asking about the greens I normally play on. This was the one I was waiting for, and after 3 putts within 1ā€ of the string, Kevin said ā€œletā€™s go roll some putts!ā€. We headed out to the larger practice green and he threw down some balls at 8ā€™ and told me to line up at the centre of the cup, and not to worry about the break. I would take alignment and he would tell me to pull the trigger, confirming I was in alignment. We repeated this from 4ā€™, and he confirmed my alignment on centre cup again, and I knocked down a few of these with ease. We did some lag putting, and I was kind of shocked at some of the results, like leaving a 30ā€™ putt hanging on the lip, and having the other 3 within a few feet. More importantly, the putts I had where I picked a bad line - I hit my line. Satisfied, I started grilling Kevin with questions, and he explained his reasoning for switching up the weight under the grip so often, trying to quiet down some excess motion in my hands which was causing me to cut across the ball, made worse with me not trusting my alignment! Long story short, results speak volumes, we made our way back to the fitting shack and I confirmed that order with the quickness. I made my way back to the truck where Mrs G. was waiting for me and she said ā€œYou are grinning like your up to no good.ā€ In 3 or so weeks when that putter shows up I will be. If your in the area, and you are interested in the system, he was awesome to work with. If your anywhere, and your interested in the system, seriously go do it. Go find your magic bullet.
Good to hear it was a positive experience. This sounds thorough.

Go

Good to hear it was a positive experience. This sounds thorough.
also interesting the alignment line was actually hurting your alignment!

also interesting the alignment line was actually hurting your alignment!
Itā€™s one of the most interesting parts of the eye dominance story.

Would love for you and Dan to have David on Off Course. You all could dive deep down the fitting rabbit hole. Would love to learn more about how biomechanics effects fittings. His knowledge and your questions might require a couple shows. It would be a great show to bring out as video.

Would love for you and Dan to have David on Off Course. You all could dive deep down the fitting rabbit hole. Would love to learn more about how biomechanics effects fittings. His knowledge and your questions might require a couple shows. It would be a great show to bring out as video.
I would love to see my guy @Canadan do that with he and David, thereā€™s zero need to muddy up anything with me in it, Dan is a putter nerd of the highest degree as well, not to mention the best damn golf podcast host out there. šŸ˜‰šŸ‘

Iā€™ll definitely be digging into it more, especially about on-course alignment. There was a few times I chuckled during the aiming process just thinking about the putters Iā€™ve used with the aiming lines he was putting on to try and seeing how bad the results ended up being on the screen.

The Edel 4.0 never ceases to amaze me. Ran to town for a little range time followed by some putting practice. Following the range session I head to the putting green. Practice green is in great shape in prep for next weeks tournament. Throw down 3 balls. 1 putt is slightly up hill for 8 or so feet then drops off for another 12. Greens relatively fast for a public course 10ish range. 3 putts hit dead on my line about 2.5 foot break right to left. 3 balls within a foot. Sweet Iā€™ll take that all day long. Next putt 16 footer slightly downhill little right to left foot of break. 3 straight dead in the heart of the cup. Ok now Iā€™m feeling really good with putter. 40 foot down hill 3 balls furthest away is 4 feet other 2 inside 2 feet. To say Iā€™m super happy with my Edel fitting and 4.0 is an understatement. Need to spend some time on short putts and shortening my backswing on those shorter putts.

Looks like Edel dropped a new alignment plate. Good news for the TT guys.

Standard round grip is being delivered today to [potentially] replace my slim round. I tend to like the smaller grips, but I've gotten so used to the press grip on my LAB that I think the bigger grip is worth using if I decide to give the Edel a real shot in the bag.

Played my first round with the Edel 2.0. I didn't keep track of total putts as we skipped a few holes due to slow play. I did not have any 3 putts which is big for me. Yes, it's still the honeymoon phase, but it just instills confidence. I know that how I address the ball is going to match my target line based off the fitting. This allows me to putt freely without doubt about setup.

Just received word the 1.0 I was fit into a few weeks ago is inbound (hopefully in time for my round this weekend)!

Played my first round with the Edel 2.0. I didn't keep track of total putts as we skipped a few holes due to slow play. I did not have any 3 putts which is big for me. Yes, it's still the honeymoon phase, but it just instills confidence. I know that how I address the ball is going to match my target line based off the fitting. This allows me to putt freely without doubt about setup.
Wanna know a secret?

Itā€™s no honeymoon.

@Jman right in the bag for TNML?
D197A6E1-B3A4-4141-BA31-946A38EDB5FB.jpeg

I love the 2.0. I am still working some stuff on distance control after two rounds with it, but you are spot-on about the confidence regarding the aim and starting it on the line. My first round I left a few longer putts too short but the 2nd round I was much better. I wish I would have done an Edel putter fitting years ago.

1,000,000% yes!
Done and done. Just based off the practice green so far that 3 hour drive was well worth it.

32 putts with the 1.0 in the first round. Iā€™m really looking forward to settling in with this.

32 putts with the 1.0 in the first round. Iā€™m really looking forward to settling in with this.
Edel putter after a fitting is amazing. This was my first round with it and I didnā€™t feel that I putted ā€œgreatā€ because I left some long putts short and missed a few that I normally make. I canā€™t wait until the greens are not stressed by summer here and see what this thing can do! 3DE4CB9F-F861-44C6-B605-1DABC2926313.png

Didnā€™t get a chance to post up some photos yesterday. Hereā€™s the shiny new 1.0.
B3245C66-284B-4CF0-9CC5-5EC58FB59F39.jpeg
D2290320-D031-4A6D-A8CB-4CC20AD43FD5.jpeg
8F21193C-1AE0-4D6D-88DC-8251EFC2A6B1.jpeg

Back