Who Is The Most Overrated Golfer On Tour?

Current season it's Tiger Woods and I don't even think it's close?

I'd put Jordan Spieth up there as well. Most sports followers probably know his name, he gets a decent chunk of coverage still and the dude has had two pretty mundane wins in 5 years?

Every time an overrated thread is created, I say to myself, I don't think that word means what people think it means. No idea how Will Z. or Xander are being classified as overrated. I almost never hear about them in any mainstream sports media. I'd say the average golfer wouldn't even bring them up if I was to tell them to mention 20 golfers, I'd say both of those guys are UNDERATED in exposure, current media and how little they are talked about for the amount of Top 10's and exceptional play they've had this season.

Rory comes to mind for the same reasons. He hasn’t won a major in over 8 years and he makes more sponsorship money each year than anyone but Tiger. For context, all three of Jordan’s majors have been since Rory last won one. Spieth would have to go another 4 years to have the same major drought as Rory and that’s assuming Rory wins one in 2023. For someone with Rory’s talent and expectations, 8+ years in your prime without a major win is beyond disappointing.

Last edited:
Rory comes to mind for the same reasons. He hasn’t won a major in over 8 years and he makes more sponsorship money each year than anyone but Tiger. For context, all three of Jordan’s majors have been since Rory last won one. Spieth would have to go another 3 years to have the same major drought as Rory. For someone with Rory’s talent and expectations, 8 years in your prime without a major win is beyond disappointing.

I was just debating if I was brave enough to say Rory :LOL:

I've stopped paying attention to the men's tour. It's Tiger Woods or Rickie Fowler

Rory.

"Overrated" to me means that their play/results aren't matching up to the amount of hype they're being given. Rory is second only to Tiger in the hype machine, and his play isn't on that level.

Hope he enjoys this weekend and the rest of his offseason though, after his MC at the FedEx Cup. :ROFLMAO:

Rory comes to mind for the same reasons. He hasn’t won a major in over 8 years and he makes more sponsorship money each year than anyone but Tiger. For context, all three of Jordan’s majors have been since Rory last won one. Spieth would have to go another 4 years to have the same major drought as Rory and that’s assuming Rory wins one in 2023. For someone with Rory’s talent and expectations, 8+ years in your prime without a major win is beyond disappointing.
I don't think that's a bad pick, but not sure it's even close to Speith. I don't think you necessarily have to win Majors for the "hype" train, but he did just come in 3rd. Rory in terms of finishes has been really really good this year. Was super hyped going into The Open, I think he was the odds on favorite, and overall he took 3rd and led the entire thing until what...hole 50...I'm just not sure I can call that "overrated"?

I get the wins aren't really there this year, but he still has an Arnold Palmer, Players Championship, Tour Championship, a CJ Cup win over Collin Morikawa on a year he was fire, and a WGC. Speith can't even compare with any of those wins since 2017.

It’s difficult to say that someone is overrated unless they are either nosediving or their game never has reached the hype of their personality. Koepka and Fowler have been nosediving. GMac and Mickelson are currently not what they used to be.

Right now, I’m leaning Jason Day.

Right now, I’m leaning Jason Day.
There are a lot of times when I forget he’s still on tour and he’ll pop up randomly for a hole or two

Koepka. The major wins are great, but what else has he done? He's more well known for the Bryson feud than golf at this point.

Funny thing about a weighted ranking system of independent contractors, no one is overrated. Until LIV, dudes got paid & ranked based on how well they do on tour.

So if we're going to use "who's getting the most pay for play relative to their actual golfing success" it has to be Phil. Dude pumped the Kingdom for $200M to go +6 at Bedminster.

Most hype for least actual substance is Rickie Fowler. There's not even a debate IMO and I really like Fowler.
Agreed. Rickie never reached what his popularity perception would have you believe. Unfortunate, but he's still great for the game and could turn things around eventually.

Rory.

"Overrated" to me means that their play/results aren't matching up to the amount of hype they're being given. Rory is second only to Tiger in the hype machine, and his play isn't on that level.

Hope he enjoys this weekend and the rest of his offseason though, after his MC at the FedEx Cup. :ROFLMAO:
You know he’s like 10th in the standings even with getting cut. He’s solidly in the next two events to be fair. It’s not his off-season yet.

I don’t think some of you understand what over rated means.

golf is hard to be over rated as it takes your current/recent performance into account for your ranking.

over hyped or maybe most disappointing, isn’t really the same as over rated. But even then…if that’s the angle why is Jason Day being mentioned? Who is hyping him up anymore? Rickie? Who is honestly hyping him up? I think people just like him.

most disappointing I get the Rory angle, but Rory is nowhere near overrated. He posted top 5’s in every major and has multiple wins over the last two seasons still. No argument about still being disappointing though with no majors to show for it.

Koepka. The major wins are great, but what else has he done? He's more well known for the Bryson feud than golf at this point.

this year bk been trash. but hes what i call a big game hunter. the 4 majors win is huge..but he also has 12 top 10 finishes in majors. only a few active players have that many. i dont think he loves golf like the other big names on the tour but his skill level is up there.

Today he is. He was probably one of the betting favorites for the Open and he had no shot. Don't get me wrong I love me some Tiger but it is what it is. I will consume any and all Tiger content but that makes him overrated.

Tiger was a long shot betting wise at the open this year.
He was +150 just to make the cut. I know, because I pounded that and lost my ass 😂.

As much as I get people naming Tiger in the conversation, I think the golf world in general is pretty realistic about his chances going forward. His wide-eyed fanbois will always think he has a chance to win whatever the next major is, and the media plays on him because they'll draw ten million clicks if they so much as talk about what he ate for breakfast or when he last changed his underwear. He's revered for his career accomplishments, but I don't think anybody on Tour currently thinks of him as much of a threat.

the odds maker still juices any tiger bet. at this year open he was around +4000 to +6000. realistically he should have been +8000 or more. but they know they will get action on tiger.

I don't know about overrated, but I certainly get tired of hearing about Xander Schauffle. Dude's a great golfer, but I've never seen anyone talked about as much as him. He can be putting up very pedestrian results, and someone is sure to chime in "Now let's not forget about Xander Schauffle. He could easily challenge for the title."

I felt that way earlier this year and was vocal about it. But guy put together a great stretch of golf in late June early July.

Short and sweet. Let's hear it.

Love me some Will Zalatoris, very fun guy to watch play golf but dude cannot seem to string it together.

ICE COLD Take :LOL::LOL:.

Short and sweet. Let's hear it.

Love me some Will Zalatoris, very fun guy to watch play golf but dude cannot seem to string it together.
Maybe Will needed this push like Rickie did a few years ago 👍🏻🤣

A1504A23-F976-405B-A60B-4415BAA9F439.jpeg

Last edited:
Do we just go back to saying Fowler now? Haha

Back