Breaking the Code with Hawk

Welcome back Hawk. I will be looking forward to watching your journey.

Man, I have so much to add to this thread. Reading your intro I’m flooded with memories. My highs and lows from the last three plus years.

THP has been the main source of inspiration and support as I became what I hope is a serviceable golfer. I know I’m so much better than I was back then. But that fear that everything you’ve worked to improve will vanish is hard to shake.

No Pressure. No Diamonds.

but man can pressure make you forget how to swing. Sometimes though it brings out the best in one. I’ve experienced both. And strive to harness pressure to help me preform well.

Looking forward to following and contributing to this journey.

Man, I have so much to add to this thread. Reading your intro I’m flooded with memories. My highs and lows from the last three plus years.

THP has been the main source of inspiration and support as I became what I hope is a serviceable golfer. I know I’m so much better than I was back then. But that fear that everything you’ve worked to improve will vanish is hard to shake.

No Pressure. No Diamonds.

but man can pressure make you forget how to swing. Sometimes though it brings out the best in one. I’ve experienced both. And strive to harness pressure to help me preform well.

Looking forward to following and contributing to this journey.

Funny you say that you’ve experienced both. I have too, though it seems the moments of greatness aren’t as memorable sometimes 😂

I think you parallel other sports/games with golf. For example, pressure-filled moments in bags (cornhole) and darts are when I play my best, so I know it’s there mentally. I just want to build a swing I can trust in those moments like I trust my eyes and hands elsewhere.

Funny you say that you’ve experienced both. I have too, though it seems the moments of greatness aren’t as memorable sometimes 😂

I think you parallel other sports/games with golf. For example, pressure-filled moments in bags (cornhole) and darts are when I play my best, so I know it’s there mentally. I just want to build a swing I can trust in those moments like I trust my eyes and hands elsewhere.
Exactly. the highs make the lows feel even lower at times.

Finding that trust in one’s self to truly embrace there is no consequence. So just “see shot, hit shot”. Knowing if you relax too much evil things lurk.

Welcome back and thanks for sharing your story. I know I've been there standing over a shot and you can't get your nerves to calm down because you want to play well for the team or person you are with. Many of us are our own toughest critics. I look forward to following along. Great talk on last week's podcast also, very much enjoyed it!

Welcome back and thanks for sharing your story. I know I've been there standing over a shot and you can't get your nerves to calm down because you want to play well for the team or person you are with. Many of us are our own toughest critics. I look forward to following along. Great talk on last week's podcast also, very much enjoyed it!

Thanks much - do appreciate you listening and reading!

A great little peak into your experiences with the game we all love and hate at times. Looking forward to following you in your reinvigorated journey.

I felt the part about ECPC. My swing didn’t show up that day and it hit me hard thinking this once in a lifetime opportunity is going to waste as I don’t know what is going on with my swing.

What a great read that was @Hawk - many thanks for taking the time to do that. Going to really enjoy following along with this, know the feeling all too well!

I've already said it when you first came back, but I am happy you are back. You were the first THPer I ever had the pleasure of playing a round with, and I was nervous and questioning myself the entire time. Not wanting to look like a fool out there. But it didn't matter, and everything was cool.
I haven't played with another THPer since that day..... and that was a long long time ago. Sadly the fates have been against me ever since.

I feel this so much.

Over the years I've taken a year off here or there, just trying to reset things. With two kids (4.5 and 2), my time to spend on the course has dwindled to almost nothing. This year, I think I have 5 round in, but that is more because I booked a couple days off and golfed solo those days.

Its to the point where I feel like to get better, and to be "happy" with my golf again, that I need to invest far more time. Without having that time, I have been mulling just walking away until the kids are into school/need less attention. Am I upset that I play poorly when I do play? Not especially. Does it bother me more that I just can't get out to do anything recreational? Yes.

I'm at that crossroads. My season end is rapidly approaching (maybe 1 more round left). The long winter is coming, and it is really difficult to stay into golf with no payoff, or nothing to look forward to.

Winter is coming. But will golf come for me in the spring?

What a re-introduction! Great read and consider me in. After last season I spent a month kicking around the idea of taking some lessons and seeing if I could improve, I met a great coach and spent the winter working on things and trying to understand swing mechanics and what a “proper swing” was supposed to be. This spring I finally got a chance to test it out after grinding away in the garage and the results were……passable? I was fortunate to be selected for my first THP experience and felt the nerves like crazy, all those swing thoughts and hard work basically abandoned me - thankfully I had some awesome guys around me that helped me calm down and survive :D. I learned a ton of lessons that weekend and took a lot of mental notes. Since then I've been on a bit of a good run, the cap has dropped significantly this year (almost 9 strokes), but like you said in the article a great deal of that might be chalked up to course management, short game (thanks Edel), etc. I still have a big miss, it's just a new direction. I'm working on finding it and putting it all together - I want to be a "good golfer" too. Looking forward to seeing where this journey takes you.

This is a great... I can't wait to follow along. I think that your story has universal aspects that the whole THP Universe can relate to in one form or another.

@Hawk i remember reading some of your content way back when before I was even a member. Now that I am a THP regular, I look forward to following along full time! Great intro and looking forward to it.

Believe me...I know...all sorts of places on nice courses from sugar plants at Kapalua to wire grasses at Pinehurst!

I felt the part about ECPC. My swing didn’t show up that day and it hit me hard thinking this once in a lifetime opportunity is going to waste as I don’t know what is going on with my swing.

Funny, because I didn’t play that bad during the event. Pretty typical me I guess. That range experience was a lot to process though.

I've already said it when you first came back, but I am happy you are back. You were the first THPer I ever had the pleasure of playing a round with, and I was nervous and questioning myself the entire time. Not wanting to look like a fool out there. But it didn't matter, and everything was cool.
I haven't played with another THPer since that day..... and that was a long long time ago. Sadly the fates have been against me ever since.

I feel this so much.

Over the years I've taken a year off here or there, just trying to reset things. With two kids (4.5 and 2), my time to spend on the course has dwindled to almost nothing. This year, I think I have 5 round in, but that is more because I booked a couple days off and golfed solo those days.

Its to the point where I feel like to get better, and to be "happy" with my golf again, that I need to invest far more time. Without having that time, I have been mulling just walking away until the kids are into school/need less attention. Am I upset that I play poorly when I do play? Not especially. Does it bother me more that I just can't get out to do anything recreational? Yes.

I'm at that crossroads. My season end is rapidly approaching (maybe 1 more round left). The long winter is coming, and it is really difficult to stay into golf with no payoff, or nothing to look forward to.

Winter is coming. But will golf come for me in the spring?

We had a day, didn’t we?! Believe I was drinking Bud Ritas at 7:30am 😂

I totally understand the time issues, though that will get better. I think if you enjoy it, just alter your expectations and make the best out of what time you do have available.

Great piece @Hawk ! Great to see you writing again and back in the game!

Your talk about pressure and hope to not look foolish, or trying to find some sort of success to grab on to during rounds, resonates SO MUCH with me. Like to a T.

Rounds at the GD last year (even ECPC) or any round at very nice courses (like Myrtle this last weekend) are just so hard for me to think about positives. Instead all I think about is “I hope I don’t waste this opportunity”. Swing disappears, I play worse than I know I should and it can end up being super frustrating.

Super excited to follow along with you sir!

Very excited to follow along with this! I’m a weekend golfer who has been playing for about 5 years. Strength and athleticism got me down to an 18ish cap but I have completely plateaued the last couple years and just can’t drop my cap playing once a week. I’ve tried lessons, practice etc but just don’t get out enough to improve. I’ve learned to always have fun on the course regardless of score but man I would love to crack that code and actually improve my scores.

Can’t wait to follow along and see what you find!

What a re-introduction! Great read and consider me in. After last season I spent a month kicking around the idea of taking some lessons and seeing if I could improve, I met a great coach and spent the winter working on things and trying to understand swing mechanics and what a “proper swing” was supposed to be. This spring I finally got a chance to test it out after grinding away in the garage and the results were……passable? I was fortunate to be selected for my first THP experience and felt the nerves like crazy, all those swing thoughts and hard work basically abandoned me - thankfully I had some awesome guys around me that helped me calm down and survive :D. I learned a ton of lessons that weekend and took a lot of mental notes. Since then I've been on a bit of a good run, the cap has dropped significantly this year (almost 9 strokes), but like you said in the article a great deal of that might be chalked up to course management, short game (thanks Edel), etc. I still have a big miss, it's just a new direction. I'm working on finding it and putting it all together - I want to be a "good golfer" too. Looking forward to seeing where this journey takes you.

So, do you think the winter work helped in the long term? Do you think an investment in technology might have helped you there? I’m asking that not knowing what your indoor setup was.

We are going to attack winter pretty hard this year I think. Definitely have some cool plans there that I hope the forum can get in on. I expect the normal adjustment to actual golf when spring comes, but I want to get a head start.

Funny, because I didn’t play that bad during the event. Pretty typical me I guess. That range experience was a lot to process though.

I played well the next day. I don’t know why nerves were so much worse at the fitting center. Perhaps the thought of here is the opportunity for perfectly fit set of clubs?

Looking forward to following along. I’m working on cracking the code too though a little differently at the moment.

Very excited to follow along with this! I’m a weekend golfer who has been playing for about 5 years. Strength and athleticism got me down to an 18ish cap but I have completely plateaued the last couple years and just can’t drop my cap playing once a week. I’ve tried lessons, practice etc but just don’t get out enough to improve. I’ve learned to always have fun on the course regardless of score but man I would love to crack that code and actually improve my scores.

Can’t wait to follow along and see what you find!

Time constraints are real, aren’t they? My thought is that maybe bringing some of the practice opportunities home might make them easier.

We had a day, didn’t we?! Believe I was drinking Bud Ritas at 7:30am 😂

I totally understand the time issues, though that will get better. I think if you enjoy it, just alter your expectations and make the best out of what time you do have available.
You defibitely were. First words you said to me were "do you want a drink"..... i had just woken up lol.

The ECPC thing is such a surprise to me. Very sad it couldnt have been more enjoyable for you.

I played well the next day. I don’t know why nerves were so much worse at the fitting center. Perhaps the thought of here is the opportunity for perfectly fit set of clubs?

Looking forward to following along. I’m working on cracking the code too though a little differently at the moment.

I tend to feel very exposed on the driving range for whatever reason.

Cool story and this will be fun. Like many others, I totally relate to this story. I took years away from the game and came back and wanted to be “good” and got down to my goal of single digits. Then I wanted more and hurt my back and haven’t been the same since. My swing isn’t good and I need to hit lots of balls to have timing show up on a more regular basis. But now my back doesn’t cooperate with hitting balls everyday and my game suffers. So I will follow along with this. I personally am working on a better swing so I don’t need to time my flipping hands through impact. And short game always helps lower scores.

@Hawk, I didn't recall you having such a rough time at ECPC when it was happening live. I can feel that pressure of needing to perform, especially for such a once in a lifetime experience. I hope I can take the experience you and others have had and just go with it. Bring the swing I have that day, and really try to enjoy the process. There is no need to put extra pressure on myself.

Back