Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver and Fairways

Based on everything i have learned from multiple companies over the past year this is a very real change that does in fact change things moving forward.

The Forged Carbon?

I agree the change to GBB becoming their premier line makes total sense. The Big Bertha has been a staple for Callaway for many years. Now, they will be able to focus and bring back that name to the forefront as their premier line. Kind of like Toulon inside Odyssey.

The other lines will receive their normal every two to three-year refreshments and this will allow for much better marketing on their website and commercially. Plus, as @mancest already mentioned keeps consumers from getting confused like the Epic and the Epic Star line. This is now a completely different market segment and a different line that will be built up for years. A good 5 to 7-year plan to develop GBB into a premier line for Callaway.

That said, going to be awesome to see how this tech and learnings goes on to help future product
This is what I keep thinking about

New carbon sole? Interesting. While I'm not the target market for this product there is definitely some cool stuff going on here. Also they couldn't get a better grip than Winn? Yuck.
Haha I noticed that too and didn’t quite cringe but I didn’t not cringe 😬

I dig the colorway on this one.

I am really curious and wish I paid more attention in material science to understand more about the forged carbon. How much is it performance based vs marketing based.

I dig the colorway on this one.

I am really curious and wish I paid more attention in material science to understand more about the forged carbon. How much is it performance based vs marketing based.
There is some performance, but also a lot of manufacturing to it. The way it was explained to me (ironically from another company) is how it can be applied in any direction.

There is some performance, but also a lot of manufacturing to it. The way it was explained to me (ironically from another company) is how it can be applied in any direction.
That makes sense. I would just want to geek out and understand, for example, is how being applied in any direction either helps performance or where the manufacturing benefit is.

For example, could the current sole plate in the GBB of forged carbon not work if applied in a certain direction? I would think the overall stresses in the location of the club wouldn’t make forged a requirement but I could be wrong.

Or, was this more a manufacturing test so see how it works, so more targeted applications where some real gains can be found will be coming.

I guess I would just love 30 minutes to pick the brains of the club engineers.

That makes sense. I would just want to geek out and understand, for example, is how being applied in any direction either helps performance or where the manufacturing benefit is.

For example, could the current sole plate in the GBB of forged carbon not work if applied in a certain direction? I would think the overall stresses in the location of the club wouldn’t make forged a requirement but I could be wrong.

Or, was this more a manufacturing test so see how it works, so more targeted applications where some real gains can be found will be coming.

I guess I would just love 30 minutes to pick the brains of the club engineers.

Its possible that the current weave fibers would work, but design would have to be altered the way I understand it. Forged will be stronger, but I also believe based on application, that weight changes as well, even with just a few grams.

I have a fun tidbit on manufacturing and carbon fiber I will share on WGP today that is pretty fascinating.

Its possible that the current weave fibers would work, but design would have to be altered the way I understand it. Forged will be stronger, but I also believe based on application, that weight changes as well, even with just a few grams.

I have a fun tidbit on manufacturing and carbon fiber I will share on WGP today that is pretty fascinating.

Thanks for that insight and the weight tidbit. I know how swapping 3 grams in the back changes how I experience a club so can see the potential benefits from a few grams alone.

The engineering thoughts and musings I get paid for will keep me from being live today for WGP I think, but looking forward to it.

Great looking club just not sure on the name. I thought for sure this was going to be a "Epic Speed / Epic Max" line replacement...

Either way, while out of my price point brand new, excited to see what tech filters down to the "mid" tier....

Well. Hello.

4A6F501D-30C1-4B3A-8942-E38060D17774.jpeg

Got a peek at the numbers.
He hit it farther than I could ever hit a driver and that particular shaft wasn't exactly a fit fit for him
😳

This was bone stock with a helium f2 shaft and that 12.5 head

was not really going after it because the shaft is just too soft.

i don’t really know what is under the hood but it is interesting. Also, those concerned about it being “green” don’t be. I actually didn’t even notice that.936F103D-F37E-40D6-9445-D2A1BD428630.jpeg

166 ball speed not really going after it.

Excited to see some grandaddy members get these in hand at the ECPC..

Back