Guitar Solos - your favorites

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
There's a guitar appreciation thread...but no guitar solos. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Black Label Society....when Zakk Wylde came to Ozzy, I was not impressed...partly because I was/am a huge Jake E. Lee fan....but the guitar solo in "Bleed for Me" just absolutely rocks...it's not a Warren Demartini song within the song or George Lynch just ripping frets in "Tooth and Nail"...so here goes, name some of your favorite guitar solos that are in songs..."Eruption" doesn't count :oops:

Bleed For Me - Black Label Society
Tooth and Nail - Dokken
Street Lethal - Racer X
Bat Country - Avenged Sevenfold
Loudness - Crazy Doctor

so many more

Pantera's "Floods" is probably at the top of my list. King's X's "Moanjam" is up there too.

Pantera's "Floods" is probably at the top of my list. King's X's "Moanjam" is up there too.

(Yes I know it's not Dime playing this but Ola nails it PLUS it has the amazing outtro)

I love the flame thrower solos, I also love Metallica, but this solo isn't a flamethrower solo but it is my favorite Kirk Hammett solo.

Anything Knopfler.
the solo in Aqualung
Just about anything Hendrix
Anything SRV

Anything Knopfler.
the solo in Aqualung
Just about anything Hendrix
Anything SRV

i was late to come around to knopfler...even after watching a lot of his work in the 80's while i was in a band and tried to absorb everything guitar that i could.

Warren Haynes on Gov't Mule Blind Man in the Dark

Almost everything James Burton played

Eric Clapton at the end of I Shot the Sherrif when played live.

one of my all time favorite solos

Eruption came on Sirius as I clicked this trend. That must be a sign from God.

Dickey Betts- Blue Sky
Alvin Lee- I’m Going Home (Woodstock)
Robin Trower- The Fool and Me
Robin Trower- Caledonia
Carlos Santana- Soul Sacrifice

Anything by Stevie Ray Vaughn

RIP Jeff Beck

Last edited:

One of the best guitar solos most rock fans have never heard (solo starts at 2:15):

Alex has always had his own unique voice when it comes to soloing. "Analog Kid" is one of my all-time favorite Rush guitar solos.

Eruption… Mr Edward Van Halen

acoustic guitar… Classical Gas by Mason Williams
Tommy Emmanuel cover of Classical Gas is amazing

Not a solo, but the outro on Hotel California is just a work of art. 🎸🎸

Todd Park Mohr of Big Head Todd has some really great solos. Little off the beaten path but he is one of my favorites.

Mr. Crowley comes to mind as some of Randy Rhodes best work. Glen Tipton is amazing too.

Man do I miss his playing. If he had kept on with White Lion or any other bands, and didn't get hurt...

Yeah, I remember when they first came out and we got to hear them before their record... my buddies and I were "Who TF is this guy?! He shreds..." Such a great musician.

I'm a huge fan of any David Gilmour solos, he's so clean with his play.
Gilmour is maybe the most melodic player ever. He's #2 on my list.

1. Keith Richards... Sympathy for the devil (most perfect match of solo to song ever)
2. David gilmour... Comfortably numb (most melodically beautiful solo ever)
3. Carlos Santana... Gypsy queen (honestly one of about 10 I could have put on this list from my favorite guitarist ever)
4. Andy Summers... Driven to tears (again a perfect match to the song/subject matter... Atonal noise to express the rage against man's inhumanity to man)
5. Eddie van Halen... Right now (Eddie van Halen clearly having more fun than anyone has a right to while playing guitar... Other guitarists sound dangerous, sexy, dark, angry... Eddie usually just sounds like pure joy)

Lots of Jimmy Page…

Back