PW - GW Gap question?

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have Mizuno JPX-800 irons. My PW is 44 degrees and my gap wedge is 52 degrees. I hit my PW 125-130 yards and the gap around 105 yards which leaves me with a big spread. I never noticed it much....but yesrerday i had 2 approach shots in the 115 range...which puts me in a bad predicament.

My wedges are 52, 56, 60. i could buy a 50 degree as a replacement for the 52. I think i am going to start hitting my PW at about 90% to try to close the gap.

Interestly i was just looking at the latest golf digest & Alvaro Quiros has a PW with 45 degrees of loft which seems strong for a pro.

How do you guys close the gap?

Sent from my Samsung Tab 10.1" using Tapatalk

I have Mizuno JPX-800 irons. My PW is 44 degrees and my gap wedge is 52 degrees. I hit my PW 125-130 yards and the gap around 105 yards which leaves me with a big spread. I never noticed it much....but yesrerday i had 2 approach shots in the 115 range...which puts me in a bad predicament.

My wedges are 52, 56, 60. i could buy a 50 degree as a replacement for the 52. I think i am going to start hitting my PW at about 90% to try to close the gap.

Interestly i was just looking at the latest golf digest & Alvaro Quiros has a PW with 45 degrees of loft which seems strong for a pro.

Have you tried gripping as far down as possible on your PW and then taking a normal swing?
Or moving the ball slightly back in your stance with 52*, hooding the club a touch to make up for the ball position, then make your normal swing.
OTOH You could drop the 60* for a 48*, unless you really need it.

Hey I was in Golfsmith correcting this very issue this morning.I have new CG 16 irons & wedges.I had the same big gap.My PW is 44 -Gw is now 50 sw bent to 55 Lw bent to 60.
You might want to take them to get the minor adjustment I prefer to have the same swing..Good Luck

I have a 45 PW a 50 GW and then go 56, 60. Nice set up for me.

My PW is 46* and I hit it 115 yards. I would go 44, 48, 52

Eh.......either don't put yourself in the gap, buy a wedge that closes the gap, or grip down on the slightly longer club.

If you don't want to change/add equipment, then grip down one inch for every ten yards you need to lose. Next time you are in that situation and time and playing situation permits, hit a couple balls using different methods to see what works best for you in a real playing condition.

Thanks for all the tips. I had thought about gripping down...but I had not really considering buying a 48 degree wedge. To be honest I rarely use the 60 anymore.

I have this same exact issue going on right now. I haven't had good results from gripping down on PW so I;m going to look for a 48* and drop the 60*. I have a 48* in the garage but I just don't get along with it, plus I have an itch for a new VR Pro wedge.

My new R9 set is 4-AW. The PW is 46* and the AW is 50*. I didn't think I would need my 52* but I really do. The clubs are so long that my 50* AW plays like my old Tommy Armour PW. I hit my AW about 120 and my 52* about 105-110. I didn't have it in my bag to start, but found that I really didn't have a club between 80 and 120 without it!

Back