Nature Valley Ameteur Tournaments

Thanks for the advice TMSHACKS, I definitely plan on going a day early to play a practice round there, and I have played some pretty tough courses before and have shot well. I shoot low 80's most of the time, and have broken 80 twice. I played Cog Hill Dubsdread for the first time last year and shot 89 with it playing about 6700 yards, and that was after laying up on almost every hole because I had been hooking my long irons and all the greens are really elevated like you say they are at Deere Run. My biggest problem was my putting and short game, which have improved a lot this year and I plan on going a couple hours before my tee time to spend a lot of time getting used to their quick greens. So far I see most guys outside of the tour flight winning with around an 86, so by mid july I think I should have everything dialed in perfectly

I did some looking at when people tee off. Tour flight seems to go off around 8am-8:30, followed by your group INgolfer.

That works good for me because I will probably be driving home that evening, I don't want to pay for a hotel for 2 nights. I should get done at a decent time and hopefully not get home too late, it is a 5 hour drive for me.

I'd never even thought about doing something like this before, I wish you guys luck. Looking over the site looks like they now require a USGA Handicap and they verifiy it before the round.

Well I had another setback in my preparations for next months tourney. Other than struggling with my swing for the past week and a half again, I sprained my wrist yesterday during my round. I had hit it right in the edge of some tall grass and I thought I could knock it out with my rescue. It was thick so I swung hard. The club got caught in the grass and I heard my wrist pop. I knew right away I hurt it. I played thru the pain the last few holes and iced it last night. I woke up this morning with a small knot on the back of my wrist and it hurts pretty bad any time I move it. Im gonna take a few days off, then start back easy with my short game, then hopefully with a lot of tylenol and frequent icing i'll hit the range in about a week. Hopefully its healed somewhat by then. I only have a little over a month til the deere run tournament

Sorry to hear about your wrist. I threw my back out over memorial weekend. Have not been able to pick up a club since. Hope to start practice this weekend. Tpc piper glen is on the 27th. Got to get my game ready in short time

Good luck dean i'll be watching the leaderboard!

Good luck dean i'll be watching the leaderboard!

Thanks, with my poor play so far this season and my back injuries, I will be in the third flight instead of the 2nd flight like last year. If I can regain my last fall form, iwshould be fine. Like others said, they set these courses up hard and makes for a fun day.

Well even with the wrist still hurting a little I went out with my dad for 18 yesterday. After hitting my first drive I thought I was going to have to quit, the pain in my wrist was extremely bad. But I thought I would give it a few shots to loosen up. I was glad I did. While the wrist still hurts today (not any worse than it has the last few days) I played very well. Had just a couple of bad holes and it was due to poor chipping. I've lost my touch around the greens lately. Ended up 44-38. I definitely found my swing again by just going out there and swinging without much thought other than "Just hit it straight." Well it ended up going long and straight. I played with my dad and brother who are both good hitters, although they play from the regular mens tees and I play from the championship tees...I was usually right with them in the fairway. I still need to take it easy over the next week or so on the wrist, so I think I may just stick to some light chipping and putting. I should have plenty of time to prepare now that I just finished school, so I'm feeling pretty confident about my chances in a month. I can't wait!

Good to hear you are feeling better. Keep on that wrist and if it gets worse go see someone now.

I'm going to head down to Saturday's round of the John Deere on the 9th and probably won't get to play until the day before. The good news is I'm starting to play courses I rarely play so trying to broaden the courses I play and hope to get experience from that.

Still working on this slight dip in my swing, but short game is really starting to come around. Got some good things showing up in that area.

Yeah I'm going to start playing some different courses as well. There is a course nearby where they play a US Open Qualifier and my buddy says it is always pretty tough, so he and I are going to go play it together here soon. I'm definitely doing everything on the cautious side as far as my wrist goes.

hmm, 3 people signed up now in the flight I would be in for River's Bend. If I could get my driver issues fixed soon, I could maybe give it a try

or then again that money could be used towards the trip or new irons lol

hmm, 3 people signed up now in the flight I would be in for River's Bend. If I could get my driver issues fixed soon, I could maybe give it a try

or then again that money could be used towards the trip or new irons lol

Or it could mean you have a shot at playing TPC Sawgrass!

Or it could mean you have a shot at playing TPC Sawgrass!

true true, I think if the game progresses in the next 3 weeks I might try. Might actually push me to go the RANGE every now and then!

My progress is coming along well. If I could get my short game back to the level it was at the beginning of the season it would be GREAT! The wrist is still bothering me, but after I get a little bit of a warm-up in it holds up OK through my round. Still taking it a little easy through this week before I hit the range and course really hard for the next few weeks leading up to the tournament. Should be in good form by then I would hope!

My progress is coming along well. If I could get my short game back to the level it was at the beginning of the season it would be GREAT! The wrist is still bothering me, but after I get a little bit of a warm-up in it holds up OK through my round. Still taking it a little easy through this week before I hit the range and course really hard for the next few weeks leading up to the tournament. Should be in good form by then I would hope!

good luck, keep plugging away and im sure it will all work out for you!

Just set my tee time for a practice round with some fellow THPers on the 24th. I have been playing very well lately, shot 39 in my 9-hole mens league yesterday and I was fighting a little push all day. Found out the problem in my wrist is tendonitis, so I'm fighting that as I try and prepare for the tournament, but I have been icing it a lot and I wear a brace on my wrist when I am not golfing, and it is holding up pretty good for the most part. I'm getting really excited for the tournament since it is coming up so soon and my game is really coming around. Just a few more weeks!

Just saw this thread. I am debating playing the event here in Vegas next Monday. I was checking out the last event they held at TPC Summerlin and the net scores seem reasonable, only 1 of them was under par, a few around par. The event they had last year at TPC Las Vegas, some yahoo shot a net 61 in the par class lol. But my group would be the birdie group and there were only a few a couple strokes under par. That isn't too bad as TPC Las Vegas is the easier course. TPC Summerlin is quite a bit harder, which is holding me up from registering. I have to register in the next couple hours though lol. I have played TPC Summerlin many times, but not in the last year or so and not since I was below a 24 index, so I have no idea what I would shoot there now. I just played 36 holes at TPC Las Vegas today and shot a 88 and a 90, which wasn't too bad. Couple penalty shots in each round and both rounds had 2 putts not drop for birdies, literally sit on the edge of the cup, twice on the same par 3 lol.

To win I think I would have to shoot my best round ever.

Just set my tee time for a practice round with some fellow THPers on the 24th. I have been playing very well lately, shot 39 in my 9-hole mens league yesterday and I was fighting a little push all day. Found out the problem in my wrist is tendonitis, so I'm fighting that as I try and prepare for the tournament, but I have been icing it a lot and I wear a brace on my wrist when I am not golfing, and it is holding up pretty good for the most part. I'm getting really excited for the tournament since it is coming up so soon and my game is really coming around. Just a few more weeks!

sounds like its coming around, keep it up and come tourney time, you will be locked in

I went ahead and registered. Playing next Monday, guess I need to practice all week lol. Already have golf scheduled for Thurs, Fri and Sat at my home club, will practice Tues and Wed and probably take Sunday off. I feel good about most of my game right now, except my driver. I haven't used my driver in almost 2 weeks. We are only playing at 6400 yds and I hit my 3w well off the tee to about 240-250yds, so I don't think I lose anything by not using the driver. Looks like we will be playing the white tees at TPC Summerlin and if I get my 3w off the tee to 240ish, all the shots should be 9i, PW or less into the green on the par 4s. Will just have to play the par 5s as 3 shots. There are 2 that I may be able to go for it with a good tee shot, have to see how the wind is on Monday.

I went ahead and registered. Playing next Monday, guess I need to practice all week lol. Already have golf scheduled for Thurs, Fri and Sat at my home club, will practice Tues and Wed and probably take Sunday off. I feel good about most of my game right now, except my driver. I haven't used my driver in almost 2 weeks. We are only playing at 6400 yds and I hit my 3w well off the tee to about 240-250yds, so I don't think I lose anything by not using the driver. Looks like we will be playing the white tees at TPC Summerlin and if I get my 3w off the tee to 240ish, all the shots should be 9i, PW or less into the green on the par 4s. Will just have to play the par 5s as 3 shots. There are 2 that I may be able to go for it with a good tee shot, have to see how the wind is on Monday.

Spend a couple hours practicing with your driver and bring it to the Tournament even if you don't plan on using it. You never know what could happen to your 3w. During your practice with it, try different ball positions, make sure your weight shifts are proper, swing the club...don't try to steer it, etc. Something may just click during practice and you could use the extra 20yards on a par 5.

Post back in here after the tournament. GL!!

Good luck Vegan. Look forward to hearing your results! I had myself a little setback today...Went to work this morning and then about an hour into it I couldn't breathe very well. I kept ignoring it thinking it would just go away, but after a couple hours of not being able to breathe I felt like I could barely stand and I started shaking a lot even thought I felt really hot...so I ended up going to the emergency room. Good news is that after they did an EKG, blood tests, x-rays, and breathing treatment they said that everything came back negative. They gave me a prescription for some inhaler thing just to be safe in case it happened again, but I have to take it easy a couple of days and the doctor said no golf for at least a couple days! ARGH! Its alright tho...I may go out and hit the practice greens a little bit tomomorrow and wait til Friday to go full force again. Not a big bump in the road, but definitely something that is hindering my practice over the next couple of days.

Good luck Vegan. Look forward to hearing your results! I had myself a little setback today...Went to work this morning and then about an hour into it I couldn't breathe very well. I kept ignoring it thinking it would just go away, but after a couple hours of not being able to breathe I felt like I could barely stand and I started shaking a lot even thought I felt really hot...so I ended up going to the emergency room. Good news is that after they did an EKG, blood tests, x-rays, and breathing treatment they said that everything came back negative. They gave me a prescription for some inhaler thing just to be safe in case it happened again, but I have to take it easy a couple of days and the doctor said no golf for at least a couple days! ARGH! Its alright tho...I may go out and hit the practice greens a little bit tomomorrow and wait til Friday to go full force again. Not a big bump in the road, but definitely something that is hindering my practice over the next couple of days.

Hope everything is ok! Glad you went in though. Little putting never hurt :).

Get rested! It will be here before we know it.

So I decided to go against doctors orders and went to the driving range today, lol. Paying for it now...chest is tight again, breathing isn't really bad like yesterday but still not 100%. Definitely not doing that again til at least Friday. Should have just gone to the practice greens like I originally planned. I am making use of my down time though...I downloaded the John Deere Classic app on my Droid X which has the yardage book in it. I'm studying the course a little bit and checking the distance to bunkers and stuff and seeing what clubs I should use from the tees and how much distance it will leave me to the greens. It will definitely help to know these things once the tournament comes.

Anyone here ever play in the Nature Valley tournaments? I came across an ad for them the other day in Golf Digest and I thought it would be the same as the other AM leagues like the AMTour where you had the pay a $200 membership fee and then hundreds more in entry fees that actually cost more than paying for your rounds at the public courses. However, when I looked in to it I saw there was no "membership fee" to Nature Valley, and all the courses are TPC courses. Entry fees vary, but they are pretty much what you would expect to pay anyway, and it looks like there is usually a pretty large field judging by previous years leaderboards. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying one of these at TPC Michigan here in a couple weeks but I am curious if anyone has ever played in any of these and what your thoughts are.

I just did it here in Tampa and very nice setup. They run it very professional and great courses. Had greens perfect as they aerated later that day. I'd definitely do it you'll enjoy it. play a practice round if you don't know course it killed me in my event to tune of about 7 shots not know where trouble was and where green tiering was.

Back