I also did GolfTec and while it wasn’t as good a fitting as I have read about, it was still VERY GOOD and my putting has been better after and I absolutely love the putter. Just the laser portion was enough for me to think the fitting was “worth it”

I also did GolfTec and while it wasn’t as good a fitting as I have read about, it was still VERY GOOD and my putting has been better after and I absolutely love the putter. Just the laser portion was enough for me to think the fitting was “worth it”
That laser will break minds.

Just got home and settled from my Edel fitting. I learned a ton about my stroke from the experience and appreciate everyone in this thread who encouraged folks to do it. As I mentioned I had to go to Golf Tec as there aren't any other fitters (outside of CC) available in my area so I wasn't expecting anything as in depth as what Jman experienced.

My fitter was Ian Rodgers, an instructor at the Golf Tec near me who was a very energetic guy who while I wouldn't say is full on lunatic fringe, he still seemed knowledgeable. We started with me hitting a couple putts with my Las Vegas, and the Super Nova just so he could get a good idea of what he was working with, followed by a what club length should I be playing test (I actually got that right with 35").

Next it was the aim portion of the fitting- lined up my Las Vegas with the laser and moved the ball, of course 8" left. :oops: Did it again and sure enough similar to the 1st lineup, I'm 6" left. Ok so we know that's a bit off- then asked if I preferred a blade or mallet head, and to my eye blades look better but I've never been able to agree with one. But hey let's see if we can make something happen right? So we settled into the 2.0 head, no offset at 35". Go over to the laser, I line it up and I don't know that I could be anymore dead center of the cup if I tried. To ensure it wasn't a fluke we tried it a couple more times and each time I was dead center with it- no alignment aid just the leading edge.

That didn't take long at all, so now we're moving on to weighting. Ian grabbed his laser and put it about 2 feet beyond one of their cups and told me put these three balls past the cup. Starting with a 5g in the sole we worked our way up to 25g in the sole and it still wasn't the best in terms of consistency. From there he started throwing weights into the shaft to add weight to the putter when we finally ended with 25g in the sole, an additional 75g in the shaft. The putter felt like a freaking hammer but was producing nice consistent roll and distance.

Moved over to their "finishing hole" which is a 6 foot up hill right to left breaker that plays just at the right edge. (this is my worst putt in terms of consistency historically speaking) Proceeded to make about 10 in a row with the Edel. We knew we had it dialed in just about as perfect as it could be for me.

Final specs: EAS 2.0 head, 35" shaft, standard grip, 0 offset hosel, 68 degree lie with 75g of weight in the shaft.

Absolute fantastic experience- and now I need to ponder which way I want to go from a new putter perspective. While I was there, Ian also put me through the Odyssey cart and Ping cart that he had onsite and built two other contenders with nearly identical specs as the EAS. I just have to decide which way I want to go now... As the cost difference is $100-$150 if I go with Edel.

Thanks to everyone here who said go do it, was very good money spent. Now time to look at moving on from my Vegas and SuperNova and figuring out which way to go.
Great write-up. The aim bias is pretty mind boggling.

The laser portion is amazing. When I did my fitting the different things he was able to adjust and get me lifted up on target were mind blowing. Who knew there were that many different things that influenced your aim

30 and 27 putts today 🤷

30 and 27 putts today 🤷
Nice. I’m dealing with some grip issues. What was comfortable after some time away isn’t so much anymore. Be on course tomorrow would love to role sub 30 putts.

Still waffling on moving on from the round grip. I can understand the benefits, but I definitely notice that I am able to keep my wrists a lot quieter with a SS.

Still waffling on moving on from the round grip. I can understand the benefits, but I definitely notice that I am able to keep my wrists a lot quieter with a SS.
Don’t start me down this path. Did you see Al the new SS putter grips that Hawk wrote about this morning. I don’t need temptation.

Don’t start me down this path. Did you see Al the new SS putter grips that Hawk wrote about this morning. I don’t need temptation.
Yes, and I want that purple.

Just spent the last hour getting acquainted with the new flat stick. First couple rolls were a bit off, but brought the mirror out and made sure I was aligned correctly and it started what I called automatic. 5 straight on the putt out with the mirror and then another 4 in a row without. Started getting fancy and hitting different lines on the mat etc. I think we are going to get along just fine. Some more pics:

6E65F839-780F-42DC-A61C-F0D1A4E80ED7.jpeg

842A03C1-9238-4BE3-BBC4-F3179D22631A.jpeg

EC8FBD32-1DBF-475D-BC58-60DB8863EE7C.jpeg

Very nice, enjoy!

Just spent the last hour getting acquainted with the new flat stick. First couple rolls were a bit off, but brought the mirror out and made sure I was aligned correctly and it started what I called automatic. 5 straight on the putt out with the mirror and then another 4 in a row without. Started getting fancy and hitting different lines on the mat etc. I think we are going to get along just fine. Some more pics:

View attachment 9154468

View attachment 9154469

View attachment 9154471
Not sure how I'd do without an aiming line. I started out with 1 on the top and two on the bottom with so-so results. Changed it to 2 on the top and none on the bottom and it was immediately better. Right eye dominant thing I believe. I added counterweight and now it's awesome. Not sure how I'll do lagging long putts but on the mat I'm suddenly very confident from 7-8 feet which I've never said ever. Nice putter; enjoy. (y)

Not sure how I'd do without an aiming line. I started out with 1 on the top and two on the bottom with so-so results. Changed it to 2 on the top and none on the bottom and it was immediately better. Right eye dominant thing I believe. I added counterweight and now it's awesome. Not sure how I'll do lagging long putts but on the mat I'm suddenly very confident from 7-8 feet which I've never said ever. Nice putter; enjoy. (y)
I’m cross eye dominant, so left eye for me. I did try a couple of the alignment aids but nothing matched the nekid look for me.

The laser never lies!

The laser never lies!
Laser proved how far off I was with previous putter. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

@Jman

Random question after seeing you tag this in another post and reading again. Doesn't the squared plate used create is own sight lines? You mentioned that the flange lines and create aim bias, and you obviously went naked, but wouldn't the square and the lines it creates when looking down do something as well?

@Jman

Random question after seeing you tag this in another post and reading again. Doesn't the squared plate used create is own sight lines? You mentioned that the flange lines and create aim bias, and you obviously went naked, but wouldn't the square and the lines it creates when looking down do something as well?
Nope, not at all. I get what you’re saying, but it’s not an alignment aid, it’s just part of design, so to the eye and aim bias it doesn’t have that effect.

Back