Trying to get my fiancé into golf need help

Geauxcrotigers

Reaction score
Handicap
My Fiancé comes drive the cart about once or twice every couple of weeks for me and we have a great time. I usually try and make it for when not many folks are on the course so we can take our time. We usually stop (as long as no ones behind us at all, late after work is best time for this) every few holes and chip and putt together and have a wonderful time. I see a lot of you guys out there play with your wives and I think that's awesome. How did you get them into and what's best way about doing this? Thanks guys!

My wife wanted to play because when she moved here, she wanted to do something sporty (she played soccer in California before she came here). So we got on a softball team. But being the oldest on the team. we didn't want tohit the bars after games and didn't jell with the kids! She knew I liked golf and said she wanted to try that. This was in 2009 and we haven't looked back.

Word of caution: Have her take lessons. DO NOT TRY TO TEACH HER YOURSELF!

I got my wife in to it like you were say earlier we use to go out and play in the evening. Also what helped is my golf buddies wife played so she was more in to it then.

My wife wanted to play because when she moved here, she wanted to do something sporty (she played soccer in California before she came here). So we got on a softball team. But being the oldest on the team. we didn't want tohit the bars after games and didn't jell with the kids! She knew I liked golf and said she wanted to try that. This was in 2009 and we haven't looked back.

Word of caution: Have her take lessons. DO NOT TRY TO TEACH HER YOURSELF!

I was thinking of having her dad give her lessons he's a 4 so he's way better then me plus I would have that headache haha lol

Sounds like you are doing fine. Her enjoyment may not be the same as yours. Possible should could care less about making pars and bogeys. Over time she may get more involved...don't push...just my 2 cents.

Patience is key, golf takes a LONG time to get good at, make sure she knows that going in. In the last 3 months I've finally gotten my wife to start going to the driving ranged every so often and she's found hitting a driver to be a good stress reliever lol. Their reasons for playing are going to be most likely different from yours so never push and never set expectations. Just enjoy the fact that shes trying to learn a game you love and be sure to tell her that every chance you get!!!

Just got my wife into the game as well. Well back into it I guess since she played some when she was little. Her dad, and two brothers play a fair amount and live on a course so golf has always been very prevalent in her family. We talked for a while about getting her a set of clubs and getting started, but it never happened. Then about two weeks ago she won a golf bag in a raffle at a bar, and shortly after that she expressed serious interest(she said "I mean I already have the bag" lol). Her brother remembered he still had his old set of clubs in her parents garage that she could use. They were his HS clubs(orig TM burners) so he had them cut down a bit, which was perfect. We pieced together the rest of her set from the other clubs(a few old Callaway BB's/Steelheads) there. I took her out on the course for her first 18 at a pretty easy, and wide open course. She shot 111, not a bad start for someone just seriously picking up the game. She drained about 4 putts of 15' or more, which was a back breaker for me b/c I couldn't even make anything inside 5' haha.

My only advice is to stress patience. Being around it alot more than most, my wife already knew the basics of the swing. It just took some tinkering to get her hitting the ball decent and we were on the way. We had messed around playing on the little par 3 her dad lives on and I'd seen her get frustrated quickly there, so I did everything I could to stress having patience and not get frustrated b/c it was her first time out. Her biggest issue was from about 50yds in and chipping. At first it was hard for me to teach her the kinds of shots to hit, b/c from those distances it's alot of feel, but I think she started to understand what I was saying after a few holes, and started to understand those feel shots alot better. Patience is definitely the key though, and something you can't stress to your fiance enough.

I was thinking of having her dad give her lessons he's a 4 so he's way better then me plus I would have that headache haha lol

That would be better than you doing it regardless of either of your skill level. But an instructor would still probably be best.

Definitely don't push her too hard. I'm sure that after a while she will improve greatly and will hugely enjoy it.

That would be better than you doing it regardless of either of your skill level. But an instructor would still probably be best.

Probably True, but I know the 1st thing she thought when I mentioned that was. "What? so I can pay to have some stranger tell me how bad I suck? No thanks. I want you to teach me." Now if she decides she truly wants to play and get better at the game; for sure do some lessons. Right now, having never picked up a club in her life, my wife wants that comfort blanket where she can learn to hit a ball and not have an pressure on it. Now that may be easier for her to say then others since I come from a family of golfers, Granddad was a 50 year member of the PGA, Dad and uncle both played collegiate golf with my uncle being an assistant pro for a time; so she may think I can at least teach her to hit the ball 9/10 times and go from there.

It's that fragile state where if you push to hard, make them show up at certain times, schedule lessons, etc, that at the 1st hint of it being a chore instead of fun, poof.....that ship just set sail. Now every wife is going to think differently on the situation, so out of all this I'd say this is the most Critical part, Make she its HER idea. What her to go to the range? Make sure it sounds good to her. What to play 9? Make sure shes up for it. Lessons? golfing Road Trip? You can advise as much as can, just make sure she is going to have fun.

My 2 cents from my experience over the last 2 months at least.

I hate to say this but my wife has thought about it a few times. I told her I would never teach her because if might led to frustration from both of us. I like that as of now golf is my getaway, my time.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Probably True, but I know the 1st thing she thought when I mentioned that was. "What? so I can pay to have some stranger tell me how bad I suck? No thanks. I want you to teach me." Now if she decides she truly wants to play and get better at the game; for sure do some lessons.

Don't agree, sorry. Hope whoever is teaching her doesn't have any bad habits, because she will get them too. The stranger won't tell her how bad she sucks. They will get her hitting the ball "decent" her first lesson. There is no way I would ever have even considered teaching my wife how to play because I know I couldn't do it correctly. And I wanted to stay married! hahaha.

Don't agree, sorry. Hope whoever is teaching her doesn't have any bad habits, because she will get them too. The stranger won't tell her how bad she sucks. They will get her hitting the ball "decent" her first lesson. There is no way I would ever have even considered teaching my wife how to play because I know I couldn't do it correctly. And I wanted to stay married! hahaha.

I agree with having at PRO teach her how to hit the ball and agree even more to have someone else teach her if you want to stay married or even get married 

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

i just got my gf into the game a few months ago and needless to say, she's hooked! Here are some of the things i've done to help introduce the game to her.

1. taught her the basics on the range and chipping green.
2. once she felt comfortable with the mechanics, we'd get on the course after work for a quick 9 holes. Nobody's really playing around 6:30pm so there's no pressure from behind.
3. let her do her thing on the course. don't nag her when she has a bad shot. always encourage her.
4. i help her read putts...sinking in a putt (even for a d. bogey) is a great confidence booster.
5. you pretty much have to give up your game. make sure you pay attention to her and her game so that she doesnt feel alone on the course.

hope this helps.

If you have a Par 3 or Executive course, play there before taking her to a "real" course. We played 5 or 6 times on our Executive course before Jacqui told me she was ready to go to a regular course.

I tried this shortly after we got married. Went to the range a few times...then headed out to an "excutive" type course. Well...she didn't make it a whole 9 holes and at one point I wound up actually ducking a few clubs (litterally). It wasn't pretty.
That was about 4 years ago, she hasn't gone since. BUT she has said she's willing to try it again. I should probably get my cousin (now a teaching pro) to get her a head start this time.

I wish my wife learned and wanted to play golf. I always thought that would be so neat to take a golf vacation. But she just has no interest in it beyond the occasional driving range session. There was one time that we went on an executive course to play 9 holes. Her bag was filled with more snacks than 7/11. And she was reading a book while walking to her ball. Needless to say, that's the last time we went to the course. Good luck to you. I hope you have a better experience than I did.

All good advice- Coming from a "wife" here are some ideas:

1. A few lessons from someone else to get her started is a great idea, once you start to help her, be patient, baby steps, not too many instructions at once.
2. Get her good equipment (used is fine). The typical new golfer goes and buys a starter set of clubs. Bad idea, I spent years wasted playing with clubs that were too long, shafts too stiff and grips too small. I developed bad habits to over compensate that were hard to correct later.I would have been a better golfer quicker had I started with halfway decent equipment.
3. A few trips to the driving range first, then to a par three, off hours at a 9 hole course. This way you will most likely not be paired with others. If you are, typically they are more easy going than on 18 hole courses. I spent at least a year playing regularly at a 9 hole course before moving on. When you do, be sure that the course you bring her to have real ladies tees. Some courses the ladies tees are only 500 yards shorter than the mens. Look for a course that's more like 1000.
4.When I first got started and got frustrated, I would pick up my ball drop it around the green and chip and putt.
5. Do NOT keep score.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Mine wanted to try the game for herself because I said how much I loved it and I played. She played once or twice and was bitten by the bug. I helped (not taught) her some basics about swinging and rules of the game, course etiquette and management and such. I found trying to "teach" was just stressful for us both. Not a good thing at all. She really want to get lessons, but we do not have the time or money this summer. We have agreed to go get professional lessons next summer and to make a weekend trip out of it going to a 3 day weekend golf school. I will be the first to admit that I am not the one who should be teaching her. These will be her first lessons, and same for me. We are both excited!

As for actually golfing with her, it is a fantastic time. Nice to spend a few hours together outdoors playing a round and have someone to share your successes with who is truly happy for you! Not much beats it!

Great thread here as my wife and I were just looking at getting her a starter set of clubs to let her play around at the driving range and get some lessons and then move to the course at some point. I have really wanted her to get into golf as I told her it would be something great that we could do together. I'm really looking forward to it. My wife also comes to to the course and will drive the cart and enjoy a full beers together and we have a great time. Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences. This is great insight as I am about to venture down this path.

Well my Fiancee whos golfed for 22 years, got me back into golf 6 years ago this august, she half jokingly says to everyone that It was the worst decision that she has ever made we have a heck of a lot of fun together up until 2 years ago she would regularly thrash me by about 12 strokes every time out but now unless either one of us has a bad round we are dead even most times about half the time its about +/- 3 strokes within each other, she has been dealing with lung cancer since Feb, spot on her lower left lung, out now cancer free, just finished 5th chemo on 7/5 so golfing for Sue for 2011 has been tough, as for me lets just say I thought I was a grateful and appreciative person towards life till these last 5 months, bam !! golf ? what golf ?

I think I accomplished it by not doing any attempt whatsoever. She just wanted to one day and that was it. I never suggested it to her and she got curious on her own.

My gf doesn't even like going to golf shops with me, I've tried but she has no interest , Booo

I tapatalk better then I golfatalk

i just got my gf into the game a few months ago and needless to say, she's hooked! Here are some of the things i've done to help introduce the game to her.

1. taught her the basics on the range and chipping green.
2. once she felt comfortable with the mechanics, we'd get on the course after work for a quick 9 holes. Nobody's really playing around 6:30pm so there's no pressure from behind.
3. let her do her thing on the course. don't nag her when she has a bad shot. always encourage her.
4. i help her read putts...sinking in a putt (even for a d. bogey) is a great confidence booster.
5. you pretty much have to give up your game. make sure you pay attention to her and her game so that she doesnt feel alone on the course.
hope this helps.

This! I didn't realize it until we started playing though. I took her to a muni course here that literally is wide open and has no trouble on it. Normally a course I'd go pretty low on. By the end of the day I added up the scores and shot 79. Wife got to where she didn't want my help reading the putts, lol. She saw me missing putts left and right, while she was running a few in from 15-20'!

It took a while for me to get into it, but Thainer loves golf and I wanted something fun we could do together plus he often told me he wanted me to come out and try. I didn't think I'd actually enjoy it enough to go on my own but that has changed! . It's alot easier to enjoy the game and want to play more when the other is really patient and encouraging. At first I hated going out when it was busy, I always felt rushed and that I wasnt good enough to keep up. I was afraid of slowing play, so going later in the day at first made me feel way more comfortable. Not making it competitive and not having to keep score was also a huge help. Tips are good but avoid criticizing, and don't get frustrated!! It makes us frustrated and just want to give up!
Good luck!

Back