Something you learned in High School

I learned that girls are like parents, if you don't ask, they aren't going to just give you what you want.

Geometry and woodshop.

I guess typing would be the most used since I do that every day.

Haters gonna hate is the most useful.

Here is another one.
I had a person that took some interest in me growing as a person. He was wise and shared some things with me that stuck. One thing was “never be a path of least resistance person, when you can go above and beyond by using your mind”

Here is another one.
I had a person that took some interest in me growing as a person. He was wise and shared some things with me that stuck. One thing was “never be a path of least resistance person, when you can go above and beyond by using your mind”
Yoda went to your school?

Don't drive when going hog hunting. 2 big ones and 8 little ones in the back of your truck leave a lot of blood and sh** that is impossible to get all of it out if you have a toolbox and bedliner.
IMG_0168.gif

Sadly, I can’t think of anything useful; can’t say college was much better. All my real life skills came a bit later, as I matured and entered the real world…and forty years later, I’m still working on those things.

I'm trying to think of something besides learning how to type properly, and I'm struggling.

I guess in a roundabout way learning to inspire/lead people through time spent in music and shop class. At least that's what they told me prior to graduation 🤷‍♂️

I learned to read for enjoyment thanks to a 10th grade English teacher that bucked the system and made us read books that actually didn't suck. I learned to tape ankles, a skill which I still employ daily at work 33 years later.

Girls come and girls go, BUT ex-girls accumulate!

Typing. I was about 50 wpm then, peaked at 80 since. I don't often type in the traditional sense anymore, but I'm still fairly quick. Thanks to HS.

Also, Driver's Ed. It wasn't a class, but there was an enticement to do it. I think like 1/2 or 1/4 credit.

What made it so good is that my (our) instructor was my Junior HS shop teacher, Mr. Adler. He was a great guy/teacher, and as it turned out, driving instructor, too. It was during the winter, and he'd take us to very large, unplowed parking lots (nearby state park). There, he'd show us the breaking point of that particular car's traction. He also taught us how to put a car into a slide so as to safely get out of it, when to brake and turn in bad weather as opposed to braking while turning, etc. Just lots and lots of skill related maneuvers that other kids weren't taught by their instructors.

All of it stuck, even when he recommended to me to similarly safely test different cars as they all react differently,I always did. Even if I got new tires, new brakes, shocks, whatever, for an existing ride, the car would respond differently. I'd years later become an NYPD police officer, and I used many of his techniques during chases, too.

Last edited:
That they don’t make teachers like they used to.

This for sure. My mom made me take typing in high school. She said you'll need it for college and beyond. Boy she was right! So glad I took the class.
Yep that's my story too. So glad my mom made me do it all these years later.

I learned how to write real small on tiny pieces of paper.

How to Type is the cleanest thing I can think of.
Not to put your warm hands on a T-Top from the inside during the winter.

Last edited:
Woodshop and home ec or whatever it's called .. I've developed some skills to make or fix stuff, pretty damn good cook, and can sew a button back on

I played on the golf team.

Here is another one.

One of my teachers told us that we probably had no idea of how many younger kids we might not even know were looking up to us, and we should act as though those younger kids were watching us, because one or more of them were probably were.

I learned that school lunch sandwiches are disgusting. Still believe that today lol.

Also, asking a 15/16 year old to decide what they want to go to college/university for, and what they want to do for the rest of their life.... may not be the right time.
Hell, I am almost 44, and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

You can get away with a lot if you have a skill people value. I figured this out after I graduated or I would have been an even worse student.
If you use sound logic you can question authority. I questioned one of the Sisters and got a scholarship offer.
In school? Computer class. I’m learned how to use keyboard shortcuts and still prefer them for their speed.

Ooof. School was never my thing. In high school I was biding my time until I could go play hockey again. Rule was that if I didn’t finish my homework, I couldn’t go to the hockey rink.

I’d probably have to go with typing skills. Learned that so I could chat with my friends and finish homework faster. Now it’s useful so I can write reports, emails and THP.

Back