JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know some have done it. Tell me about the process. How long does it last on wedges, etc.... pics?

• Admin
Let me add, that I have Oil Cans and they have been coked!

I love gunmetals! I had those Mac Mt's that were so cool.
I've been playing Nike and 588 wedges in the balck finish, pretty cool too.
As per the process, the usualy killer is stripping the chrome. I found one guy who would di it fairly cheap, but still pricey. Too dangerous to do it yourself IMO. Now if they are already raw or oiled, then it is fairly easy I believe.

• Admin
That is the beauty of Oil Can...It strips off with nothing.

Heck then, I almost think it as simple as going to Wal Mart and buying soem gun bluing oil and let the rub down begin. I do recall hearing that one certain (and fairly common) brand works best.

oh where to begin! well, I have pretty much got this process down because I am constantly blueing my wedges. It's a pretty simple process but unforunately does not last very long and requires some care to maintain.

At your local dick's or any hunting store pick up a gun blue kit. The kid will include a few fine sanding pads, gun blue solution, rust remover, and degreaser.

1.) clean the club with warm water, dry completely
2.) soak the club in vinegar for roughly 30 mins
3.) clean with warm water, dry completely. sand out any existing finish
4.) using the rust remover make sure the club is as clean as possible
5.) clean the club with the degreaser and run under cold water, dry completely
6.) using the gun blue solution and the provided applier (usually some weird brush), apply a quick, even coat of the solution all of the clubhead
7.) leave on the solution for no longer than 30 seconds, then run under cold water

the more time you repeat steps 6 & 7 the club will become darker. repeat the steps multiple times to achieve the finish rather than leaving the solution on for longer

I do this to my oil can wegdes all the time, sand will essentially strip the finish but a silicone spray can be used to maintain the wedge

enjoy

• Admin
DD,
That is what I was looking for. I am off to Dicks today.

DD,
That is what I was looking for. I am off to Dicks today.

While you are there can you pick me up a set of '08 Big Bertha's, the matching SW and LW, a Burner Driver and 3 wood. The checks in the mail. :wink:

Post up pictures of your wedges when you are done. I'd be interested in seeing the finished result.

I may refinish my wedge tonight... I will post pics if I do so

coming this week... finally went to do it and realized I didn't have any vinegar...

im going to do the tei3 i recently picked up. im contemplating whether to remove the insert(via the allen nuts on the back) or just leave the face in....i know the custom shop takes the face out. but im mainly worried about how to get the silicone back in those little circles again! is it just regular silicone i could buy in the tile section of home depot or is it special? and how hard is it to make those circles perfect?

also when you repaint the words what ddo you use to remove the paint? acetone?
and do you just paint over the whole thing and wipe of the excess once its dry? because its hard to get all those little lines perfect!

thanks

Back