JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The review is up on the front page. By far the best product we have ever reviewed. This thing is one of those products that just does not come around very often.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=505

• Admin
We are hopefully going to have a unit to give away on the site. Still waiting for it. This thing is absolutely amazing.

Yes, I must get one of these. No subscription fee, it looks like if I want to buy my home course(Shirkeys) I can just pay $10 and have the Pro version. Is that correct JB?

• Admin
That is correct. And some of the courses are less expensive then $10 I believe. Of course the basic mode is free and does just what all the other GPS's out there do.

The course downloads appear to work on a 'credit' system. You can buy blocks of credits for course downloads:

http://www.uprogps.com/course-download/price-list/

I've now put one on my Christmas list. What a cool little gadget!

One thing: can it give directions to the course? That would be the cat's meow if it could.

• Admin
It does not give directions to the course. But the credit system works quite well. I cannot give too much details on it, because they gave us 15 credits to work with for the review. Each course we downloaded was 3 credits.

Good review, I may have to do some sweet-talking before next year.
105.gif

i will not be buying one. only 5 golf courses listed. suxors....:bad:

5 courses listed? Im confused, they have almost every course my Skycaddie has.

in British Columbia, you know, where i play. dozens here for SkyCaddie.

THat could be. They did focus on the US first. But they will map first. It would be worth taking a look or contacting them.

i just looked on their site, did the search. probably be months and months before i could even consider it.

Damn, I just got my Skycaddie in Aug. Figures the next best thing would come out a few months after I bought it.:at-wits-end:

It happens. I just got my Skycaddie SG5 in June, and it will be for sale soon. I have to have one of these. THey made me send this one back, but I am hoping we get a couple for giveaways. They said they should be able to.

The hard part would be to pick the number of credits to buy. Pro mode courses - with flyover are 3 credits each. It's one of those things where a little increment, $20 or $40 will double the number of courses you can download.

Thanks for the price link. I couldn't find it on the Callaway site.

Callaway uPro Course Download Price List

Comparison of yearly fee vs cost per course.
I have had a Skycaddie (SG2) for many years and looked at my "favorites" list - a favorites list is a list of courses I have downloaded. I have 56 courses that I have downloaded over the years. Using the upro's credit system I would have had to had buy 150 credits (50 pro courses) for $120 to cover all those courses. At $30 per year that would be 4 years. I am sure I have had it at least that long so the cost tradeoff is about a even.
Many of these "favorites" were courses I have played one time and then removed from my Skycaddie which only holds 10 courses.
I really like the features of the upro but wanted to point out that with the pro mode your cost are about the same.

Uprogps

Uprogps

The first time I took the Uprogps on the course it took several holes to feel comfortable. After awhile it was a breeze and the fly-over feature was a "wow" factor.

Is it correct that under USGA rules that a GPS device, when allowed in a tournament, cannot show a 3-D representation (height/depth) of a course and each hole? Sort of like the "no slope capability" requirement for laser rangefinders.

Would a flyover view be the equivalent of a 3-D view?

This device is according to the maker 100% USGA legal.

I am looking at getting the Upro Go model. Does anyone have any experience with this. There are no fees if you want to use standard mode and a one time $49 fee to use Go mode.

I just received the UPro Go as a gift. Have not had a chance to get out on the course with it yet. The absence of a yearly fee and all the pre-loaded courses definitely look good though.

Got a little cash for Christmas and want to get a upro. I only play a couple of courses so I like the idea of no yearly fee. Does anyone know if they plan to update the original upro. I would hate to buy one now just to see a upro II come out in the spring. I know they recently came out with the upro go but I like the features of the original upro better.

Back