Easy and right decision. There is no reason to stay in school. He's got status and college is to prepare you for a career. He doesn't need college golf. Make your money young man. I'm a fan can't wait to see him in the big tournaments.

I don't think he had much of a choice. Unless rules changed and they allowed him to keep the full term of exempt status after graduation, he really needed tobtake advantage this year.
Even if they did change the rules, I can’t imagine why he would choose to stay in school. He’s won everything he can as an amateur no?

I may have stayed Am through the Masters to try to win the low Am medal.

Even if they did change the rules, I can’t imagine why he would choose to stay in school. He’s won everything he can as an amateur no?
If they changed the rules, he would at least have the choice. I wish that an amateur that won could choose to continue playing with his college team and graduate if he/she wanted. It isn't like this happens a lot, but I just don't think he had a real choice here.

I wasn't even playing golf yet when I was 20.
My Dad and Grandfather got my brother and I in to golf at a very young age.

I just wasnt very good.

I don't think so. I also don't think he should be judged by if he doesn't win again this year...or even next TBH. But time will tell I guess. He can go play week in and week out if he wants. He's got status on the tour which is huge, and can be life changing. He doesn't have to go through the battles of trying to earn that special exempt status or anything like that. He's got a full card. He earned it.

This is 100% it. No Q School, no KFT. Just LFG!

Definitely think right decision. Game can go through hot streaks and troughs as we've seen the pros go through, so have to capitalize on a prime opportunity like this.

So.... no money and no FedEx points for the win. Aside from (I think) invites to the 3 majors in the US and.... and maybe one other event, he's starting at ground zero?

Tough call... I would think/hope there had been lots of talk with his parents and coaches about whether or not last weeks play was sustainable for the long haul.
Oh, and at his age (20), i don't think he can rent a car to get from A to B so hopefully he's got those logistics worked out until he turns 21 :ROFLMAO:

Good for him though, it was a great performance last week for anyone, let alone an amateur.

He's only a sophomore though :unsure: I guess the $$$$ is too good to pass up.

But what if he fails? What if he gets in a car accident & loses his ability to play golf? What does he have to fall back on when he hasn't finished school with a degree?

This would be my dilemma if it was my kid. Just my .02

He's only a sophomore though :unsure: I guess the $$$$ is too good to pass up.

But what if he fails? What if he gets in a car accident & loses his ability to play golf? What does he have to fall back on when he hasn't finished school with a degree?

This would be my dilemma if it was my kid. Just my .02
if he loses his ability to play golf he can still go back and a degree right?

if he loses his ability to play golf he can still go back and a degree right?

Yeah I guess so. But if it happens later, he may have to start all over again as a freshman. Credits don't just sit there & wait for you to come back

Strike while the iron is hot. He won't have to fight his way up the ladder to earn his Tour card, he has automatic 2+ years of Tour exemption, invites to the majors and all the signature events (no cuts, big money), and right now his name is on everybody's lips so he's a hot commodity in terms of potential sponsorships/endorsements. It's a wide road paved with gold for him.

Yeah I guess so. But if it happens later, he may have to start all over again as a freshman. Credits don't just sit there & wait for you to come back
see but his PGA Tour card for 2024 doesn't wait.

Copied from an article "Dunlap can refute his membership for 2025 up until 30 days after the conclusion of this season. However, if Dunlap wants to pick up membership for 2026, he can only do so after the 2025 season."

So.... no money and no FedEx points for the win. Aside from (I think) invites to the 3 majors in the US and.... and maybe one other event, he's starting at ground zero?

Tough call... I would think/hope there had been lots of talk with his parents and coaches about whether or not last weeks play was sustainable for the long haul.
Oh, and at his age (20), i don't think he can rent a car to get from A to B so hopefully he's got those logistics worked out until he turns 21 :ROFLMAO:

Good for him though, it was a great performance last week for anyone, let alone an amateur.

I see it more as he is starting at the top as he is already in a all the elevated events with $20mil guaranteed purses. He would have to play his way back down to ground 0.

Not surprising. Good for him.

I thought I’d read that Akshay Bhatia ended up renting a U-Haul. 🤣

If he considered it all and has the blessing from his team and coach, I am all for it. If he is going into business for himself after catching lightening in a bottle I will question it.

I watched his press conference. Sounds like he is going to keep living with his Bama golf team when he is not playing tour events so that he can keep that connection.

I can't imagine being given the job opportunity of your dreams at age 20 and how you would possibly pass that up. Obviously winning was due to his talent, but it's the equivalent of winning the lottery.

Hope he is able to figure out his way on tour full time and have great success.

I see it more as he is starting at the top as he is already in a all the elevated events with $20mil guaranteed purses. He would have to play his way back down to ground 0.
By ground zero, i should have clarified... i meant financially. I'd say it has to be a lot less stressful walking into events knowing you have 1.5 mil sitting in the bank and some cushion to work with. As an amateur, he really wasn't chasing a paycheck.... that all changes now. (I'm sure he'll have sponsors and that's all well and good but now he's got to perform week in and week out) No matter what, i wish the kid good luck and hope he has a bright future ahead.

Back