Here We Go Again With the Hole In One Claims

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone remembers the story from last year about the woman in Florida, Jacqueline Gagne, who claimed she had made 14 holes in one in 4 months. The story was picked up by the AP from a local Florida newspaper, and subsequently published in Golf Digest, apparently without any real research into the claims. Gagne make TV appearance and promoted herself quite nicely . . . for a few months. Turned out her claims were questionable (go figure) and Golf Digest subsequently published a story raking her over the coals.

Now there is a 22-year old from Illinois, Curt Hockner, claiming 5 holes-in-one in a single week, including two on a single day.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hJiXs7JlwUAKARSjnLzuBwatzgXgD949OJDG1

On a Roll: Golfer Records 5 Holes-in-One in a Week

KAPPA, Ill. (AP) — Central Illinois amateur golfer Curt Hocker is on a roll. Five rolls, to be exact. Just ask anyone at the El Paso Golf Club, where the 22-year-old has recorded five holes-in-one in the last week, including two on Saturday. In this year alone, Hocker has seven aces, five on par-4s, and two other double eagles.

"I don't know what to think," said Hocker, who works in the club's pro shop. "After each one I say it's over, and it keeps happening."

Friends and family, 15 of whom have witnessed Hocker's strokes of luck while playing with him, are equally mystified.

"It's incomprehensible this kind of luck could happen, but it does happen," said El Paso pro Steve Fulton. "There are other things in life that have been just as weird and eerie that have happened. What are the odds?"

Hocker said he's just glad that his club membership comes with "hole-in-one insurance."

That "insurance" means the club — and not Hocker — has to honor the golf tradition of buying everyone in the clubhouse a drink after an ace is made.

"I think the golf course is getting mad at me for all the drinks," Hocker said. "It's hard to talk about, but it's awesome to have it happen."
Now, I'm no mathematician but I think the odds of this actually happening are astronomical.

Perhaps . . . just perhaps, the "hole in one" insurance that Hockner purchased might be motivation for a 22-year old and his friends to lie about a hole in one (several times) and guarantee free drinks for everyone in the clubhouse.

But hey, maybe as a believer in the laws of physics I'm just being overly cynical, right?

And I once caught a Killer Whale in a local stream. Of course I didn't have room in the cooler so I set him free. :roll:

I used to hit the Killer Whale Driver....

I just read the Gagne story. I find it interesting that noone actually saw her ball go into the cup. In fact most weren't even heading for the green. Magically, the balls wound up in the hole. My suspicious mind thinks they were planted there before the round, either by her or a friend. She'd hit her tee shot into trouble, where you'd have to search for it to find it, only why look if the balls in the hole already.

if you get into trouble on a Par 3, it's not going in the hole.

Seem extremely inconceivable that this guy did that, he needs to be on Tour if he is really that good/lucky. And I never bought the story of the lady who had all those hole-in-ones.

Didn't Happy Gilmore get a hole in one on a 950 yard par 5. Hell, even Bob Barker consistenly raked up the holes in one on the price is right. Today, I was at Putt-Putt and had 3 hole in ones on the front nine alone.
Funny thing, they never mentioned his final score for any round. If I had 5 holes in one in one round, I would walk off happy with a 95......

Did anyone proof read this article before it was published?

In this year alone, Hocker has seven aces, five on par-4s, and two other double eagles.

Ok... lets break this down.

5 holes in one on par 4's... There is no other word for this than bullsh*t

this is the part that really gets me. A double eagle is also known as an albatross... 3 under the given par for the hole. So... that means all 7 holes in one came on par 4's... there are two words that would describe that... "total bullsh*t

The article itself is based on lies and factually incorrect. The kid needs his ass kicked and the reporter needs to be fired.

Strange things happen in golf. My club has a framed photo of a member who had two hole in ones in the one round during competition. A member aced our 27th hole (154 yds) two consecutive weeks during competition...he made the statement when the ball was in the air on the second one "felt like last week".

Reminds me of an episode of the sitcom MY Name is Earl. He is in the clubhouse, guy gets a hole in one and buys the clubhouse a drink. He goes back the next day to get another free drink, no ace. SO he gets a plan...He hides, starts putting the guy's ball in the cup and keeps getting free drinks. He is on a roll. The guy quits his job, tries to go pro, etc and loses everything after Earl stops going out there. Hilarious episode. Really reminds me of a few of your posts.

Reminds me of an episode of the sitcom MY Name is Earl. He is in the clubhouse, guy gets a hole in one and buys the clubhouse a drink. He goes back the next day to get another free drink, no ace. SO he gets a plan...He hides, starts putting the guy's ball in the cup and keeps getting free drinks. He is on a roll. The guy quits his job, tries to go pro, etc and loses everything after Earl stops going out there. Hilarious episode. Really reminds me of a few of your posts.

I saw that episode, I kind of thought the same thing as far as someone "planting" them, either that or he is just straight lying about his accomplishments.

No one would lie about this would they?
Sounds like he might have done it once and liked his 15 minutes of fame.

No one would lie about this would they?
Sounds like he might have done it once and liked his 15 minutes of fame.

And the free drinks that came with the hole-in-one "insurance".

Free drinks are overrated.

Anyone who lies about athletic or skill feats is even more of a douchebag than David, and I hope they feel like it.

Harry, that does seem odd.

I haven't even DREAMED a hole-in-one, let alone been awake and gotten one. Closest I ever got to one was two feet short.

with the soft greens here, my shots move very little after landing. i heard to improve one's chances, try to smooth out a longer iron, for some roll but i'm not changing my game to play an ace. i'd rather take pars and birds on a consistent basis over the chance of getting an ace.

I just want one hole in one. JUST ONE!!!! What do I have to do, sell my soul to the devil???????

I've had two balls one rotation from the cup... other than that I believe I will likely never see one

Or Julie or Claire, one of the three will do!

If I could dispense holes in one, I'd start with myself!

Or is this about the Internet-adjusted hole in one index? In which case, I usually get at least one a round. :lying:

What do I have to do, sell my soul to the devil???????

Or Julie or Claire, one of the three will do!

If I could dispense holes in one, I'd start with myself!

Methinks she missed the connection!
375.gif
364.gif
370.gif

Back