Let's talk about swing speed.

Got back to speed training today after being out of commission sick and recoving for a while.

Felt good, felt strong, and full of energy.

View attachment IMG_8572.MOV

Then roll up one end a bit into a ball.

it adds just a little weight. With it being so soft you will feel super fast where you are dumping speed. It help you feel like you are. Developing speed through the ball towards your target rather than throwing it all away behind you.

View attachment 9238626
This drill works really well!!

Also, someone was talking about hitting 20 warm-ups then 40 as hard as you can not caring about results. This works good as well I had a buddy who was a pro at sugarloaf and this is what they taught.

Then roll up one end a bit into a ball.

it adds just a little weight. With it being so soft you will feel super fast where you are dumping speed. It help you feel like you are. Developing speed through the ball towards your target rather than throwing it all away behind you.

View attachment 9238626
Doh! I completely forgot to do this tonight. I'm going to add this to my reminders app to make sure I remember tomorrow night. I'm very curious about this drill and what I'll see.

Note to self don’t do 30 minutes of cardio, lift heavy on chest and tri’s day and then attempt to swing fast.

I was slower tonight than the first session this week. I did take a couple cuts with the driver afterwords and got to 103.

Note to self don’t do 30 minutes of cardio, lift heavy on chest and tri’s day and then attempt to swing fast.

I was slower tonight than the first session this week. I did take a couple cuts with the driver afterwords and got to 103.

Still keep at it!

Hit a new PB last night!!!

My last session I had my blast sensor up to 94 on the three all out swings. Considering that I started in the low 80s for speed, that’s good I think. Then I hurt my right hip working on my car. Going to resume the training tomorrow and see where I’m at. I’m still on level 1 for now. I may move to level 2 in a couple weeks if I’m feeling up to it.

My last session I had my blast sensor up to 94 on the three all out swings. Considering that I started in the low 80s for speed, that’s good I think. Then I hurt my right hip working on my car. Going to resume the training tomorrow and see where I’m at. I’m still on level 1 for now. I may move to level 2 in a couple weeks if I’m feeling up to it.
That is a great improvement Mike 10+ miles an hour is nothing to sneeze at. Do you see it translating on the course for you?

That is a great improvement Mike 10+ miles an hour is nothing to sneeze at. Do you see it translating on the course for you?
On the sim I’m seeing 3-4 mph increase. I’ve seen 85-86 peak driver speed. I’d like to see 90 or 90+ as I get into season. However, not at the expense of accuracy.

I've always struggled with weight shift, it's always been so difficult for me to get to the lead side in my downswing and that's mainly because I've been doing it wrong this entire time. Because I want to hit it far and swing it fast in my mind shifting weight and firing my arms/shoulders at the same time made the most sense. WRONG!!!

I had a bit of a eureka moment tonight regarding the weight shift in my downswing while doing Week 3 Round 1 Superspeed training. In the SuperSpeed program, you are supposed to take swings both on the dominant and non-dominant sides. Left-handed swings have been hella awkward. Until tonight. I was tired of nearly falling over on my non-dominant side so I slowed down just a hair instead of firing everything at once I shifted to the lead leg while my hands were just reaching their peak, keeping my back turned as long as I could before my momentum required me to fire my shoulders (the thought was throwing a ball left-handed as hard as I could) and BOOOOOOM. 107 mph left-handed. That is faster than some of my swing on my dominant side.....

scared boom GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

My immediate thought is Ok... wait. Let's start over so I went back to my dominant side and applied the same principles and swing thoughts. 💣💣
I've bested all of my previous PB swing speeds by anywhere from 1-4mph across the board in all of the swing drills.

I think I get it now. I understand why every time I tried to weight shift I'd slice it off the planet or early extend to try and save it and that made me scared to continue down that path. I need to do some actual ball work with these thoughts and movements but I think I've got something here.

I do realize that a lot of what I'm saying is 'NO DUH' stuff to many people here but one of the blessings and curses of doing all this swing work on my own is being on cloud 9 for maybe finding something that works and also being pissed it's taken me so long. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'll put up a video here in a bit. Got to edit it but I wanted to get these thoughts out of my head and into my journal here.

When I read the words "weight shift" I visualize a lateral movement of the pelvis or the weight pressure being shifted to the other foot (causing instability). It doesn't make sense to me that either of these techniques would increase rotational speed of the body and consequently the speed of the clubhead.
There is a weight shift late in the downswing when the legs and hips extend tilting the pelvis back which unlocks the pelvis and spine unit but that has got nothing to do with shifting weight pressure intentionally in the backswing.

When I read the words "weight shift" I visualize a lateral movement of the pelvis or the weight pressure being shifted to the other foot (causing instability). It doesn't make sense to me that either of these techniques would increase rotational speed of the body and consequently the speed of the clubhead.
There is a weight shift late in the downswing when the legs and hips extend tilting the pelvis back which unlocks the pelvis and spine unit but that has got nothing to do with shifting weight pressure intentionally in the backswing.
Quick video that maybe explains what I’m talking about better.

View attachment IMG_1919.mov
Been following this thread.And I too am working on more free speed.The later I hear the swish the faster I’m getting.Ive been using a driver shaft with no head and trying to swish after the ball.Almost like the club gets hung up in transition.Body leads, than you let it swish thru.Haven’t measured the speed.But I do feel more thump in it

View attachment 9242721
Been following this thread.And I too am working on more free speed.The later I hear the swish the faster I’m getting.Ive been using a driver shaft with no head and trying to swish after the ball.Almost like the club gets hung up in transition.Body leads, than you let it swish thru.Haven’t measured the speed.But I do feel more thump in it
Love this! Thanks for posting up some video! It definitely sounding like your thumping that ball like it owes you something!

Great work!

Love this! Thanks for posting up some video! It definitely sounding like your thumping that ball like it owes you something!

Great work!
Being an older golfer isn’t easy gaining speed. But I really think it is in the realm of we do some rethinking of what the objective is. Keep up the great work as well my friend

I am noticing that doing swing speed training in the morning and taking it to the course just a bit later without a short range session can be ugly. I’m still doing stage 1 with the speed sticks. I am close to going to stage 2; although, I’m not sure my body is ready for the extra 18 swings in the protocol. I did find my swing, but it took 9 holes to find it again.

I am noticing that doing swing speed training in the morning and taking it to the course just a bit later without a short range session can be ugly. I’m still doing stage 1 with the speed sticks. I am close to going to stage 2; although, I’m not sure my body is ready for the extra 18 swings in the protocol. I did find my swing, but it took 9 holes to find it again.
Yeah I can imagine that transition being tough. I haven’t had to do that just yet thankfully.

Most of the reason I’m doing it right now is because I’m not playing golf several times a week currently. Last year when I tried to do speed training mid season while I was playing g 4-5x a week I ended up injuring my wrist badly.

Yeah I can imagine that transition being tough. I haven’t had to do that just yet thankfully.

Most of the reason I’m doing it right now is because I’m not playing golf several times a week currently. Last year when I tried to do speed training mid season while I was playing g 4-5x a week I ended up injuring my wrist badly.
It’s an annoyance for now. When we get in season, I’ll back off to once a week maintenance on a day I’m not playing. Yoga and strength training will continue.

I feel like I need to go through this thread and do some speed training myself. I feel like I have lost 20 yards on my drives since last summer. I developed a 2 way miss last summer and my swing got real "guidey" instead of just hitting the ball. Yesterday I was leaving everything a club to club and a half short even though it felt like I was making good solid strikes. Would using super speed training sticks work without having a device that measures swing speed?

It’s an annoyance for now. When we get in season, I’ll back off to once a week maintenance on a day I’m not playing. Yoga and strength training will continue.
That’s good I’m glad you are doing yoga and strength training. I am as well and I can say it is positively helping both my quest for speed and the recovery time from doing the training.

I feel like I need to go through this thread and do some speed training myself. I feel like I have lost 20 yards on my drives since last summer. I developed a 2 way miss last summer and my swing got real "guidey" instead of just hitting the ball. Yesterday I was leaving everything a club to club and a half short even though it felt like I was making good solid strikes. Would using super speed training sticks work without having a device that measures swing speed?
I tried this approach last year when I attempted speed training and if not for injury I would have surely quit early for lack of motivation in seeing how or if I was improving. I’d say a way to measure your speed and progress is essential to continued success. Invest in a prgr it’s probably the most reliable and cost effective solution. You can find them for discount on eBay.

View attachment 9242721
What you are doing is not speed training - not sure what it is? For speed the the swing needs to be from within to without. The hub drives the rim, not the other way. The muscles that drive the swing are those close to the joints in the pelvis and the spine. If these muscles are not working correctly it will lead to injuries.

What you are doing is not speed training - not sure what it is? For speed the the swing needs to be from within to without. The hub drives the rim, not the other way. The muscles that drive the swing are those close to the joints in the pelvis and the spine. If these muscles are not working correctly it will lead to injuries.

Trying to do this. By feel.Not sure if I am as I don’t film a lot.But it feels that way

do you have any on-course numbers from something like arccos? those trackman numbers are, interesting...
Just coming into this thread and I agree. The smash factor is insanely good. That being said, to get to mid 260’s, my ball speed needs to be at mid 140’s and spin down below 2500.

IMG_6393.jpeg

I'm not going to read through seven pages of responses to find out if this has already been said, but swing speed as I see it is the speed of your body movement - you speed. What you want is clubhead speed, which is only somewhat influenced by how fast your body moves.

Back