Let's talk about swing speed.

I'm not going to read through seven pages of responses to find out if this has already been said, but swing speed as I see it is the speed of your body movement - you speed. What you want is clubhead speed, which is only somewhat influenced by how fast your body moves.
Which is the whole point to speed training: to get your body to move faster. The clubhead can only move as fast as you tell it to, through the hitting zone, influenced only by your body, in sequence, and at speed. Therer's no fairy dust that you can sprinkle on your clubhead to make it go any faster on its own. You have to do the work.

Just coming into this thread and I agree. The smash factor is insanely good. That being said, to get to mid 260’s, my ball speed needs to be at mid 140’s and spin down below 2500.

View attachment 9242807
I’ve since determined this was a trackman setup to sell drivers.

I’ve since determined this was a trackman setup to sell drivers.
I saw the follow up posts. It has been a fun discussion and I have enjoyed reading your reports and thoughts.

A thought that was reinforced for me again this morning is how important stretching and flexibility is to maximizing our current ability to generate club speed. As I get older it becomes even more crucial. I have been going in to a place called “Stretch Zone,” three times a week, early in the mornings. It is not a fun 30 minutes, but about a month into it, I am feeling a difference and I think there is a mph or 2 to be gained easily, just from being more limber.

A thought that was reinforced for me again this morning is how important stretching and flexibility is to maximizing our current ability to generate club speed. As I get older it becomes even more crucial. I have been going in to a place called “Stretch Zone,” three times a week, early in the mornings. It is not a fun 30 minutes, but about a month into it, I am feeling a difference and I think there is a mph or 2 to be gained easily, just from being more limber.
I agree 100% with this since the start of the year I’ve been incorporating a 10-15 minute stretch and mobile routine mainly focused on hips, hamstrings and lower back. I’ve only missed a few mornings when I was sick. I have so much more flexibility and mobility now especially in my right leg/hip. I used to not be able to sit with my right ankle on my left knee and now it’s no problem to do so with either leg.

Has anyone ever spent time swinging a weighted club and see what happens ?

Has anyone ever spent time swinging a weighted club and see what happens ?
I've got this thing.
IMG_8763.jpeg
It's much shorter than a normal club has a heavy weight and is bent a little on the end to encourage shallowing in transition.

Of the 3 Superspeed sticks I use the Red Speedstick is 5% heavier than the driver.

I agree. I do think I am 'quick' in other ways. Was always the fast one on the baseball team for example. I'm mid 40's and plenty of guys my age are swinging it 100mph and hitting it 280+ so I think I still have time.
There’s also probably a need to talk about physics.

Ball speed, not club speed is more important. If you swing at 100mph, the max ball speed on a centered strike is 150mph. 150mph means you will get max carry distance of about 250 yards.

Most of the speed will come from your arms and hands swinging. The body works as a platform to allow the arms to swing. If you want to swing faster, you have to have really relaxed arms, shoulders, and wrists.

Otherwise, swing speed really comes down to technique. It would probably be easiest if you posted some pictures of your swing and then there are probably a bunch of really qualified folks on the forum that could give you some advice (I am not the guy for that).

Here’s a good chart that shows what you can expect for distances.

IMG_1769.jpeg

Otherwise, swing speed really comes down to technique. It would probably be easiest if you posted some pictures of your swing and then there are probably a bunch of really qualified folks on the forum that could give you some advice (I am not the guy for that).
I've got hundreds if not thousands of swings on video. Here's my YouTube channel.

I'm gonna be completely up front and say I have only skimmed this thread at this point. Has there been any discussion at this point about indoor swing speed vs. on course? I would make sure you're getting swing speed data outside as well as inside on a trackman fitting. A lot of people unconsciously swing the the club slower inside for one reason or another. I know personally I see about 7-9 mph less inside on driver. I know this is a thing and yet I can't stop it from happening. I know not really the point and am going to go back and read fully because I'm sure there are great tips in here about getting faster. I just know how discouraging the numbers I got during my fitting last year were, but a couple sim rounds later have figured out I'm just simply slower inside.

I'm gonna be completely up front and say I have only skimmed this thread at this point. Has there been any discussion at this point about indoor swing speed vs. on course? I would make sure you're getting swing speed data outside as well as inside on a trackman fitting. A lot of people unconsciously swing the the club slower inside for one reason or another. I know personally I see about 7-9 mph less inside on driver. I know this is a thing and yet I can't stop it from happening. I know not really the point and am going to go back and read fully because I'm sure there are great tips in here about getting faster. I just know how discouraging the numbers I got during my fitting last year were, but a couple sim rounds later have figured out I'm just simply slower inside.
That's interesting. I feel like I'm faster inside when consequences don't matter as much because all I have to do is take a few steps and collect the ball no matter how poorly I hit it. But, I haven't actually collected any speed data outside. Now that I have the little portable PRGR monitor I'm going to test this out next time it's nice enough to play outdoors I'll bring it with me and see if I can grab some data. I'm very intrigued now.

Working on really feeling weight shift. This exercise with the heavy ball helps.

These are some numbers from Darkspeed testing today. Notice the swing speed. It was around 95 at the start of this thread.

1708109757427.png1708109772922.png

Joy Tanner Rochelle GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

Working on really feeling weight shift. This exercise with the heavy ball helps.

I’ve been continuing with this exercise and I’m getting a lot better at timing it out now. Which I think is kinda the whole point.

All of these little things around stability, mobility, weight shift, and feeling ground forces are taking my speed training to the next level. I’m glad I’m taking this multi faceted approach. I think the payoff is going to be huge this spring.

Hell yeah!!! Started week 4 tonight and got a PB in the “Max out” swings at the end!!!

117mph
IMG_8836.jpeg

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

Back