2023 Mizuno ST-G Driver

I’m finally seeing some life with the driver. I took a lesson with a new instructor on Thursday and he made a simple tweak on my takeaway which has resulted in a much more consistent swing path. Consistency is what I’ve been chasing the most and I think I’m finally getting there. It certainly wasn’t the driver that was my issue, it was clearly my swing, so I’m really looking to forward to how this club plays out for me as I start to dial it in. I played a sim round yesterday and hit 8 FIR’s which for those of you that have played with me know that is a solid improvement. I’m really looking forward to what’s to come and I’ve never had the itch to golf more than I do now.

Second sim round since my lesson and I’m definitely feeling much more confident with this driver in my hand. My old misses are gone and other than the occasional fade/slice, I’m pretty happy with the result. Still a lot of room for improvement but I’m very happy with the ST-G.

View attachment IMG_6091.mov

Mentioned in the FW thread, but got a chance to get to Top Golf last weekend and took a few swings with my ST-G. Got a myriad of excuses, TG balls, winter swing blah blah- but what I saw there, backed up what I was seeing at the tail end of the Ohio golf season, long and little fade into the back net.

I went and joined the local athletic club that advertised a nice two sim setup, and have gone three times in an attempt to utilize them only to find each time broken. So cancelled that membership and now seeking another alternative as I've seen a few more open up in the area. So for now, it's TG until I can find something else with options locally. Still can't wait to get more time with this as it became point and shoot at the end of the year.

Even with release season upon us, I've found myself less inclined to get out and test the new stuff as this just flat out worked for me in the last few rounds I got to play in '23.

Ohio and February usually don't mix too well from a golf perspective, but the mild temps we've seen meant that a range near my office was open yesterday and I got a chance to take a few cuts at lunch with this and the rest of the bag.

Limited the swings with the woods yesterday as I didn't have a whole lot of time, but took 5-10 with the STG and remember why I fell in love with it at the end of '23. Hopefully mother nature continues to cooperate and this means Spring is near.

Ohio and February usually don't mix too well from a golf perspective, but the mild temps we've seen meant that a range near my office was open yesterday and I got a chance to take a few cuts at lunch with this and the rest of the bag.

Limited the swings with the woods yesterday as I didn't have a whole lot of time, but took 5-10 with the STG and remember why I fell in love with it at the end of '23. Hopefully mother nature continues to cooperate and this means Spring is near.
You hit it so well there towards the end of our time at Vic Nat. I can't wait to hear all about how much of a beast it is for you in 2024!

Was able to see good results with the driver again this weekend. Really starting to be able to feel good with the swing. Had a couple toe balls that were still in the fairway with good distance. I am really still surprised with the forgiveness of the driver with the smaller head size. This thing can really go when you get a hold of one. The feel is great as well. I will take out the Cobra LTDx and this next time to compare.

Reshafting my 10.5 head with some lower launch shaft options this weekend to give it another whirl after staring at it in my golf/tool chest for a while. Still wish it was the 9 head as that fits me way better to give it a real run, but maybe I can come up with something to get it back out onto the course and see where it sits now next to the other new releases.

Was able to see good results with the driver again this weekend. Really starting to be able to feel good with the swing. Had a couple toe balls that were still in the fairway with good distance. I am really still surprised with the forgiveness of the driver with the smaller head size. This thing can really go when you get a hold of one. The feel is great as well. I will take out the Cobra LTDx and this next time to compare.
Weights back with the forgiveness you are seeing?

Reshafting my 10.5 head with some lower launch shaft options this weekend to give it another whirl after staring at it in my golf/tool chest for a while. Still wish it was the 9 head as that fits me way better to give it a real run, but maybe I can come up with something to get it back out onto the course and see where it sits now next to the other new releases.
Circling back to this, I just need the 9 head versus the 10.5 head, it’s just a fit thing, which bums me out a little as I love everything else about the driver.

Weights back with the forgiveness you are seeing?
I actually have one weight all the way back and one all the way forward. I’ll snap a picture later.

The ST-G was a beast over the weekend. Really forgiving and the deep face helps promote confidence even though its a smaller head size. Those that have played it, how many times have you moved the weights around to find what you want? I have moved them once and they have been there ever since.

The ST-G was a beast over the weekend. Really forgiving and the deep face helps promote confidence even though its a smaller head size. Those that have played it, how many times have you moved the weights around to find what you want? I have moved them once and they have been there ever since.
I moved them around at Vic and thought man this is great (on the range) only to switch after singles to a setup that JB told me “not to ever go away from”- so they’ve stayed there ever since.

This one has surprised the daylights out of me for how forgiving it is even with the super low spin. Not swinging the best right now and it’s still performing for me.

I moved them around at Vic and thought man this is great (on the range) only to switch after singles to a setup that JB told me “not to ever go away from”- so they’ve stayed there ever since.

This one has surprised the daylights out of me for how forgiving it is even with the super low spin. Not swinging the best right now and it’s still performing for me.
You were SENDING it those last few holes. It was a sight to behold!

On the internet the reviews of the current ST-G driver have been disappointing. Specifically, the previous version ST-G 220 was widely criticized for being "too low spin", and as far as I know the sales of that model were dismal. So, when the new model ST-G 230 is introduced I expected Mizuno's You Tube channel, as well as other club review content providers, to compare the 220 to the 230, but it didn't happen.

On the internet the reviews of the current ST-G driver have been disappointing. Specifically, the previous version ST-G 220 was widely criticized for being "too low spin", and as far as I know the sales of that model were dismal. So, when the new model ST-G 230 is introduced I expected Mizuno's You Tube channel, as well as other club review content providers, to compare the 220 to the 230, but it didn't happen.
Sorry I must be misreading your post- you’re looking for a comp to the 220 of the existing STG-230?

Sorry I must be misreading your post- you’re looking for a comp to the 220 of the existing STG-230?
You're not misreading my post and yes I am looking for a comparison of the ST-G 220 to the ST-G 230.

You're not misreading my post and yes I am looking for a comparison of the ST-G 220 to the ST-G 230.
Got it- sorry I don’t have a 220 to compare the 230 to, can say that the 230 (STG) is definitely low spin, but it’s not like the ball is falling out of the sky for me or anything.

So I made some changes to the weight set up on this thing after some swing changes etc that I'm working through. Playing it a bit more neutral in the top track to help with ball flight. Hit some of the prettiest baby draws of my golfing career last night in low penetrating flight. Distance wise I'm still seeing 265-270 average, with some exceeding that on well struck shots.

I'll be interested to see how this year progresses as my swing changes take hold.

Mr @Moore_Golf is bombing this thing lately. 💣
Appreciate it man. I received a great lesson earlier this year and it completely changed my game for the better. The first thing he told me was to move all of the weights back on this driver and don't touch them. I listened, made some adjustments - mostly to my backswing, and I've never felt more consistent/confident with my swing.

Appreciate it man. I received a great lesson earlier this year and it completely changed my game for the better. The first thing he told me was to move all of the weights back on this driver and don't touch them. I listened, made some adjustments - mostly to my backswing, and I've never felt more consistent/confident with my swing.
It's pretty obvious the benefits you've seen. You used to be good for several tee balls into oblivion, now since the ST-G and that lesson, your misses are in play almost all the time. Always room to improve of course, but I've seen a step change in your tee game.

Back