Callaway Wins Court Battle With Titleist - Pro V1

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
It is big news and it was only a matter of time before this happened. Titleist has said that it has stopped producing "that ball" and is working on the new ball. We shall see. Im sure certain sites will proclaim the new ball the best ever before playing that one too.

I wonder how much truth there is in Acushnet's puffery following the decision.

"Joe Nauman, an executive vice president with Acushnet said the ruling "will not have any impact on our ability to supply our customers with Pro V1 golf balls," because Acushnet in September converted production of existing Pro V1 models "so that they are outside of the patents in question."

He also said Acushnet plans to introduce new Titleist Pro V1 products early next year "that are also outside the scope of the patents in question."

That's now 3 rulings against Acushnet for the Pro V1 line of golfballs. Wow.

One big one to Bridgestone, and now two to Callaway.

I wonder how much truth there is in Acushnet's puffery following the decision.

"Joe Nauman, an executive vice president with Acushnet said the ruling "will not have any impact on our ability to supply our customers with Pro V1 golf balls," because Acushnet in September converted production of existing Pro V1 models "so that they are outside of the patents in question."

He also said Acushnet plans to introduce new Titleist Pro V1 products early next year "that are also outside the scope of the patents in question."

Same thing I was wondering

I think fair and objective reviews of the new Pro V1 line will be critical for consumers, lest we get conned by the tidal wave of cheesy marketing that will accompany the release. If the new balls aren't as good as the ones that offended the patents of Bridgestone & Callaway, the public need to know.

Here's another article:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22265029/

A very interesting quote from it:

“We have now established in court that our golf ball patents are valid, and that Titleist Pro V1 golf balls infringe those patents,” she said. “We will immediately start the process of requesting an appropriate remedy, including injunctive relief and damages.”

IIRC - the Bridgestone ruling was a monetary settlement as well, I'm curious to see what this settlement will do to the Acushnet stock price (the ruling alone caused it to tumble 96¢)

it was pretty much inevitable

I'm curious how management and marketing will spin this in terms of production...

I'm glad someone stepped up with something like this. They hold a very strong portion of the market, and while the ball is a GREAT ball I've seen some balls that I enjoy leave the marketplace due to competition from the ProV1

I'm curious how management and marketing will spin this in terms of production...

Me too, and I am also curious as to how the "new" Pro-V will perform in comparison to it's predecessor. I am sure marketing will tell us it is "new and improved".

So will certain website reviews.

haha. if i'm thinking what your thinking, that was really funny

As expected, there are quite a few sites that are saying "dont believe everything you hear about this suit".

I googled it to learn more about the patents and a few sites are still trying to convince people that Titleist is still king. Shocker.

How do you mark your Callaway? (Hehe)

I thought it was cool that at CALLAWAY'S request, pro golfers will use the same ball thru the end of the year. Classy. (Or like Josh said, so many golfers use Callaway clubs that they don't want to p*** them off.)

How do you mark your... oh damnit not again!

I wonder why they're going to adapt it then market it as a ProV1 again. What about...oh, I don't know...the ProV2?

The ProV2: Higher, farther, and now without patent infringement!

I could see them naming it something like the PT 1 (Pro Trajectory 1)

or the mmb v2. if anybody can guess what that stands for, props to you!! :D

Back