Another 5 hour round

I havent really paid a whole bunch of attention to it, but 5 hrs doesnt seem that long to me. Interesting stuff. I hate waiting around too.
I don't like to just stand around and wait. If people played ready golf there is no reason a round should last 5 hours. I don't care how many shots you take.

It's almost 17 minutes a hole on average. A 4-hour round is just over 13 minutes a hole.

Courses could help by enforcing 10 minutes between tee times, but that usually never happens.

Good call smallie. 17 mins is too long..

It's almost 17 minutes a hole on average. A 4-hour round is just over 13 minutes a hole.

Courses could help by enforcing 10 minutes between tee times, but that usually never happens.

Hmmmmmm Ill play 4.5 hour rounds and it doesnt seem like a long time. I play ready golf but I never rush between shots, or rush to my shots. There are also times for whatever reason, we can't have the cart next to both shots. I don't know, if its slow because of slow play I don't like it but if its just slow and we are playing ready golf, I don't care. Its all in how the time passes for me.

If it's Weekend afternoon and we're playing in 4-1/2 hours, you gotta expect that. But if it's early morning and it takes more than 4 hours, I'd hate to see what the afternoon is going to be like. I try to play early morning or late afternoon when I can.

If it's Weekend afternoon and we're playing in 4-1/2 hours, you gotta expect that. But if it's early morning and it takes more than 4 hours, I'd hate to see what the afternoon is going to be like. I try to play early morning or late afternoon when I can.

I think we are just generally slower at everything out west hahaha.

I think we are just generally slower at everything out west hahaha.

It's hotter out there, you gotta take more breaks!

I couldn't do a 5 hour round. Yesterday we played in about 3:15. Are these course play putting too many people on the course or are you just the unlucky one to get stuck behind the slowest group of the day?

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

sh%t i walked a 6900 yd course in 2.125 hrs just tryin to beat dusk so these fools can get movin sometimes, cmon now. I get it not everyone is as fast as me but, man ive met some people that just take the cake. Worthless!!!

I really hate slow golf. I played in a two-some a few Sundays ago and it took 5+ hours. It was totally not fun and really made the day drag. 4 1/2+ should be the max for a really slow day. It just made it even worse that we were a two some with no where to go, playing through wasn't even an option.

Unfortunately, a 5 hr round is what I usually endure on the weekends. But I really try not to let it affect me and let it roll off my back. Have a few pops and enjoy the friends you're with.

Slow play is really tough for me. As I have gotten older it is so much easier to get cold or at least stiffen up and there is just so much you can do to try to stay limber while you are waiting, especially if it is just hole after hole.

For me, most of my slow play experiences have to do with the various leagues that play the course I tend to play. The leagues tend to feel like they own the place while they are out there and they don't listen to the marshals or anybody else for that matter. They are usually very slow, mouth off to perfect strangers just because I guess and are in some cases, three sheets to the wind to boot. Obviously they have the tees until they are all on course and then the tees are open to everybody else again.

As to what to do.....I will usually try to do what I can to help keep the course moving in a positive direction relative to time. However that also blows up in my face on occasion. Just a couple days ago it was awful.....very very slow. I could see it just looking out from the first tee. So I was heading up one hole that ran down the opposing side of another hole. It was early in the round and if I have not gone to the range I can just about guarantee you that my first few drives will be right. You can literally watch me go hole by hole and bend the ball back straight after I get warm. Sure enough that is where this drive went, right. Anyway as I got up to my ball (I was in a cart) I could see that someone from the group playing the opposing hole had driven his ball pretty close to mine. I knew that they were going to have a devil of a time finding that ball as I know how the grade of the course plays and you just don't look for your ball to end up there on that hole. So since I had a cart I drove over to the guys walking up that hole and just asked if one of them was playing a Titleist 4 with a red dot. So this one guy, dripping with sarcasm, fires back "No are you". Heck I did not care about the ball. I was pretty sure it was one of their shots and was just trying to get them onto a ball that I knew was going to be very hard to find. So I said, No, if that was what I was playing I would have just played it and then I just gave the whole group some general directions as nobody would own up to that being his ball after the first guy had mouthed off. I got up to where my ball was at this point and turned around as my green had people putting. Sure enough one guy was looking, just east of where that ball was and obviously had no clue. So from about 100 yard away I whistled and he looked over. I motioned him to come directly towards me and when he got about where that ball was I motioned him to stop. Sure enough it was his ball stuck right were I was trying to direct them in the first place.

Point being that not only are a number of the afternoon leagues at this course slow as molasses but they in fact just don't care. They will lounge around hole after hole simply eating time doing nothing and it just drives me nuts as I start to freeze up and as the sun begins to drop out of the sky. However I will continue to try to move the course along any way I can as that is about the only way I can keep my sanity when it is that slow.

I was going to have one of these rounds at a local course on Monday. Several 3-somes were stacked behind a grp of 3, a 20+ handicapper with his daughter running around trying to teach his friend who had never played before ( 5 wiffss from the fairway on 9 followed by exit stage right), when we finished #12 there was a group in the fairway on 14, group on the tee on 14, group on par 3 green on 13 and 2 groups waiting on the tee at 13....so since we weren't playing well already from the 2:45 min front nine, we just packed up and left...sometimes its just not worth it lol.

Sadly it was the coolest weather since probably March out here, 83 degrees...we decide it would be much better spent doing yard work heh

I was going to have one of these rounds at a local course on Monday. Several 3-somes were stacked behind a grp of 3, a 20+ handicapper with his daughter running around trying to teach his friend who had never played before ( 5 wiffss from the fairway on 9 followed by exit stage right), when we finished #12 there was a group in the fairway on 14, group on the tee on 14, group on par 3 green on 13 and 2 groups waiting on the tee at 13....so since we weren't playing well already from the 2:45 min front nine, we just packed up and left...sometimes its just not worth it lol.

Sadly it was the coolest weather since probably March out here, 83 degrees...we decide it would be much better spent doing yard work heh

I have called the front desk before and most of the time nothing. When it happens we start hitting extra balls or throw in some type of closest to the pin game in between shots. Played a very nice course near me about a month ago and the group in front of us was so slow. The marshal came and told he was trying to get them moving so bad but that he could not kick them off cause they were the tell end group in some tourney. After the round we went and told the pro how we thanked them for trying help us out and we understand that it happens. He gave us all free green fees for the next time because we were so understanding of the situation. Sometimes it pays off just to be patient.

When really slow, I do 1 of 2 things depending on if it's 1 group or many. If 1 group, I am a little passive aggressive and once I finish a shot I hurry to the next and stand over it ready to shoot asap. Hopefully the people in front see me there and ready long before they'll be out of the way. Usually works, though it does tend to get me dirty looks which I can easily ignore.

If it's just slow, I wait on the tee until I will be sure to not have to wait mid-hole. Waiting between holes doesn't bother me as much as in the fairway.

Not to rub it in, but today I played a round by myself in less than 2.5 hrs on my 5600 yard course.

When really slow, I do 1 of 2 things depending on if it's 1 group or many. If 1 group, I am a little passive aggressive and once I finish a shot I hurry to the next and stand over it ready to shoot asap. Hopefully the people in front see me there and ready long before they'll be out of the way. Usually works, though it does tend to get me dirty looks which I can easily ignore.

If it's just slow, I wait on the tee until I will be sure to not have to wait mid-hole. Waiting between holes doesn't bother me as much as in the fairway.

Not to rub it in, but today I played a round by myself in less than 2.5 hrs on my 5600 yard course.
What took you so long? hehehe

Had a 2 and a half hour 9 today...group infront of us waited for the group infront of them to reach the green before teeing off on every hole...Still better then playing sunday though...nothing like a 6 and a half hour 18.

I had a conversation regarding slow play with one of the golf pro's at one of the ranges I go to. He said that a big problem they have is the company that owns the course is trying to make sure the place turns a profit, which at this time means less staff. Less marshals out on the course, usually one guy manning the pro-shop, etc. etc. He doesn't think it will get better until the economy does and even then, he thinks the companies will like the increased profit at that point.

He said he'd love to try a larger hole day, or an irons and putter only day but he doesn't feel he has the support of the GM to get something like that approved.

I had a conversation regarding slow play with one of the golf pro's at one of the ranges I go to. He said that a big problem they have is the company that owns the course is trying to make sure the place turns a profit, which at this time means less staff. Less marshals out on the course, usually one guy manning the pro-shop, etc. etc. He doesn't think it will get better until the economy does and even then, he thinks the companies will like the increased profit at that point.

He said he'd love to try a larger hole day, or an irons and putter only day but he doesn't feel he has the support of the GM to get something like that approved.

I dont know if I can blame it all on that...from what I have been seeing the biggest factors of "slow play" have been:

1. Playing from the wrong tees- Just adds extra shots when you make the course harder and longer
2. Taking forever on the greens- I really dont know what this problem is but watching a 4some take 10 minutes on a green is painful. My buddy takes his time on the greens because he fixes the ball for each putt but even then it doesnt take him more then 2 minutes to get off the green.
3. Waiting for partners to hit their shots- Ready golf just doesnt seem to happen

A marshal can only do so much and right now I think that the problem is people dont know the basics before they play.

On a side note-I think more yardage markers would help a lot of people out.

Back