One of My Balls Feels Funny

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I haven't ever hit it with a full swing (irons or woods), only my putter.

Specifically, it's a Callaway Tour ix that I received in a Callaway promotion. I kinda forgot about it until the other day, when I found it and started playing with it while practice putting in my living room.

It feels really different from my other balls. Sounds different too. I'm not sure how to explain it. More "plasticky" is what comes to mind though. "Clicky" maybe.

The Tour ix has as Urethane cover, but so does the ProV1. It even feels/sounds different than balls with Surlyn covers.

Does anyone else know what I am talking about or why it feels/sounds different from just about every other ball I have?
LGB460-L.jpg

The title of this thread is wrong, just wrong! :quiet:

Do you expect anything different from Mr. Longshanks....hehe

No, I figured it was a setup! (the title, not the thread itself!)

Just take a hot bath........oh, wait a minute, I've got to remember to read the first post before I post.........:messed:

The Tour ix is my favorite ball. I don't notice the click when I putt because I'm using an Odyssey insert putter right now. However, from what I hear, Callaway balls are known for being clicky. That is probably the biggest "complaint" I've heard about them on different forums.

P.S.: If you find you just can't bring yourself to like them, I will do the honorable thing and take them off your hands. :wink:

I found a thread on another golf forum discussing Golf Digest's comprehensive analysis of each golf ball's distance (with a robot driver), spin rate (with a robot wedge), and cover hardness (called Shore D*) from the October 2008 issue, I believe. Interestingly, the Callaway ix Tour was one of those balls for which they did not have cover hardness data. Nonetheless, for your edification, here are data for your clicky ball against the big four taken from that source:

Callaway Tour ix ("Old Clicky")
Distance: 253.4
Spin: 9,990
Shore D: NA

Titelist ProV1
Distance: 249.0
Spin: 11,914
Shore D: 57.2

Titelist ProV1x
Distance: 250.4
Spin: 12,299
Shore D: 55.8

Bridgestone B330
Distance: 253.9
Spin: 12,137
Shore D: NA

Bridgestone B330s
Distance: 255.2
Spin: 11,866
Shore D: 57.2

* Wikipedia on "Shore D" or "Shore Durometer" hardness data: "There are several scales of durometer, used for materials with different properties. The two most common scales, using slightly different measurement systems, are the ASTM D2240 type A and type D scales. The A scale is for softer plastics, while the D scale is for harder ones. However, the ASTM D2240-00 testing standard calls for a total of 12 scales, depending on the intended use; types A, B, C, D, DO, E, M, O, OO, OOO, OOO-S, and R. Each scale results in a value between 0 and 100, with higher values indicating a harder material."

Last edited:
Okay, I got beat to commenting on the thread title.

I suggest you try twisting the ball open, to see if the core is made of lip gloss.

Okay, I got beat to commenting on the thread title.

I suggest you try twisting the ball open, to see if the core is made of lip gloss.

I think that is great advice Claire.

I dug through my shag bag and my pile of demo day 2-ball sleeves and found a Callaway HX Tour, a Big Bertha, and a Top-Flite Gamer.

The HX Tour and the Gamer were also very clicky. The Big Bertha was somewhere in between.

So I guess it is a Callaway thing.

I dissuade you from trying any type of ball twisting

But... that's my specialty!

Yes, the smilie's color was a deliberate choice.

Back