scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
My PC desktop is getting bogged down and I am in need of a new tower.
LAst year I got a Macbook for just my music recording. I tried using it for basic things, but became frustrated mostly due to it's ease. Seriously. I know within a little time I'd know my way around a Mac easily for the most part. But for now my macbook is just for me laying down guitar tracks and such and I am going to leave it at that.

So now I am in the initial stages of looking for a new desktop. Basically I do tons of internet surfing and buying/selling. I also use it for basic word documents for grad school, but that's about it. I dabble in photo editing (nothing more than crop/resize really) and want to get further into video editing with clips of out baby and the band. Again, nothing too major.

Lastly, as per my smartphone thread, I plan to use my new computer for simple linking to the phone for scheduling and that's about it.

Oh, and of course I need it to download to my UPRO!:D

So which way to go? I don't want a war, but realistic user opinions. I know about lack of viruses with macs. But would I miss my PC? I do know they have the thing (I fogret the name) where you can run Windows on the mac. I have it on the macbook but haven't used it, as I need and want the macbook to be running as clean as it can for the music recording.
THanks

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16

THis was a thread discussing what people used. I like and use both. However the cost issue when comparing apples to apples is just not there. Mac's are significantly more money. Mac repairs are significantly more money also.

Yet I still loves Macs. The reason for the switch for us back to PC is because of the software that is out there is just not the same yet. Plus Mac does not make a Netbook yet.

What's a newtbook?

Ironically, I've never had a computer crash, but I think my current pc (Maybe 3 years old) is on the verge.

Does removing a bunch of rarely used programs and gigs of music help ya think? I really wasn't wanting to upgrade until spring.

A netbook is a small laptop that is good for web based everything.

I have no dog in this fight, as I went the way of PC after my Apple Macintosh SE no longer had what it takes in the mid 90s. That said, I recently purchased a Canon Vexia HD camcorder, only to find that the format it uses to compress HD images is not readily editable on my PC, but is no problem for the standard iMovie program on Mac. I've heard for a long time that Macs are superior for video-intensive operations, and was always unimpressed by that claim when it came time to buy, but that little glitch with my new, expensive camcorder has made it a bit more personal.

So a netbook is mostly for surfing then, mostly wifi?
One thing, here in NW OH we are still behind the times in mostly everything. Heck, can't even get AT&t iphone service!
Maybe I'll just snag a good pc tower, as I have upgraded everything on my current pc within the past 6 months: big monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.

I'm thinking: dual core, 2+ gb ram, 2 sperate HDD, high end graphics card 2gb+, and good dvd burner. Then again, when I researched this 6 months ago...well those specs could be way old for my needs:>)

We use it for just about everything. They are dirt cheap. Run XP instead of Vista so less RAM is needed. Just in a small little shell. Both Golfergal and I love ours.

I picked up a 24inch Imac last year... ran me about 2 grand with a ram upgrade. It is nice and works well for me but obviously price isn't their selling point.

Back