Who says teenagers don't know anything about golf or can't sell? :arrogant::D

true true... that was not the intent of the statement. I should have added people with little golf experience, uninformed, or sometimes just telling you what you want to hear to make a sale.

I purposefly ask wrong questions sometimes to hear what their answers are, and 90% the person will agree with me and try to blow smoke up my +++ in order to push a wedge out of the store

true true... that was not the intent of the statement. I should have added people with little golf experience, uninformed, or sometimes just telling you what you want to hear to make a sale.

I purposefly ask wrong questions sometimes to hear what their answers are, and 90% the person will agree with me and try to blow smoke up my +++ in order to push a wedge out of the store

Ha I'm kidding DD, I didn't take it seriously. I agree with you though. Basically if you know your stuff about golf, you give the salesperson the knowledge. You basically spoon feed them what you want to hear and they agree and regurgitate it back.

I always try to support the little man, but when you can buy something online way cheaper or use a 20% off coupon at a chain store it makes it hard. I cant pretend to know what the overhead is in a pro shop, but im sure there is a reason they are priced higher than everyone else, rent being one. I will keep that in mind for my next purchase, maybe start buying balls at the local course.

On a side note, why do pro shops put the courses logo on every shirt. I would pick more up if they didnt.

I always try to support the little man, but when you can buy something online way cheaper or use a 20% off coupon at a chain store it makes it hard. I cant pretend to know what the overhead is in a pro shop, but im sure there is a reason they are priced higher than everyone else, rent being one. I will keep that in mind for my next purchase, maybe start buying balls at the local course.

On a side note, why do pro shops put the courses logo on every shirt. I would pick more up if they didnt.

oh yeah, for sure... 5-10 bucks no big deal

but when you're talking serious markdowns it's hard to go with the lowest price

I use 3balls.com as an example b/c their rating system is sick... a "very good club" is practically brand new and "fine" is a club hit once so when they have steals why pay 400

I guess the point is that they're not there just to sell shirts, but to market their course more. I would buy a course shirt if I was traveling the country or something, going to some fancy-schmancy places.

I think another problem people have with Pro Shops is that they get that trapped feeling. They feel like the shop can charge extra because they know you wont go run down the street to buy something you forgot.

they know you wont go run down the street to buy something you forgot.

Haha, shows what they know. :wink:

I've honestly never bought anything at a pro shop. But when I go in there to buy a range bucket or something...pure snobbery!

I guess the point is that they're not there just to sell shirts, but to market their course more. I would buy a course shirt if I was traveling the country or something, going to some fancy-schmancy places.

cheapest shirt at ballybunion was 85 euros.... :bad:

I think another problem people have with Pro Shops is that they get that trapped feeling. They feel like the shop can charge extra because they know you wont go run down the street to buy something you forgot.

Haha, shows what they know. :wink:

I've honestly never bought anything at a pro shop. But when I go in there to buy a range bucket or something...pure snobbery!

yeah, im not paying 17 dollars for a sleeve of provs

I'm with KG on this one. I will pay up--within reason--for knowledgeable service and attention. Maybe I'm the target audience here, but I love it when I go into the club pro shop and they all know my name and fall over themselves to help me with some dumb little thing. It's cute when I buy clubs and the shafts come with my name & the club's name on them. If you make it easy for me, I'll spend the money. (My only complaint is that the women's clothes tend towards the predictable, but I'll be mentioning some brand names to the shop manager soon!)

Time for me to chime in, yes customer service has gone down in the golf business but from the statement above, why would I want to help anyone that is going to do that. For me to keep my job I have to sell equipment, if I don't they will find someone else that can. And with all the super stores around it's hard for golf courses to compete, they can't stock every club with all the shaft options. So if I'm the manager of the store I don't want to pay someone that knows his/her stuff about equipment I will hire someone at minimum wage that saves me money and can sell things just because they are in the store at the time someone comes in. Don't get me wrong I have sent customers to the big super stores to hit equipment that I don't have, I also tell them that if they get the best deal their then they should buy it their. Sorry if I effened anyone but just through I would put my 2 cents in.
Okay, I was being a little sarcastic in my post(hence the big grin), however I do and will continue to support businesses that have great service. There are many retail stores I shop at because of the owner or staff, they may be a bit more expensive but I support them as much as I can. My post was more directed towards when I go in to a store and an employee won't stop texting long enough to give me(the customer) the attention I deserve or they have no clue of what they are selling. In that case I will always buy somewhere else.

I'm with KG on this one. I will pay up--within reason--for knowledgeable service and attention. Maybe I'm the target audience here, but I love it when I go into the club pro shop and they all know my name and fall over themselves to help me with some dumb little thing. It's cute when I buy clubs and the shafts come with my name & the club's name on them. If you make it easy for me, I'll spend the money. (My only complaint is that the women's clothes tend towards the predictable, but I'll be mentioning some brand names to the shop manager soon!)

AHH, country club life...

[YOUTUBE]NmannAYiwh0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?

Maybe that's what Claire was asking about when her and Julie wrecked NVM's beamer. :alien2:

But that is the good and the bad of pro shops, the only time that they get you in the door is when your going to play. When was the last time you were looking for something and went to your local pro shop first?????

But that is the good and the bad of pro shops, the only time that they get you in the door is when your going to play. When was the last time you were looking for something and went to your local pro shop first?????

Never, but I might if the guy made a good impression on me.

You're not referring to a golf course pro shop, but rather a specialty retailer (locally owned) are you?

If you're talking local, I'm all about it. I pretty much buy my clubs from one man (I bought a hybrid, and a putter from Edwin Watts), that owns a pro shop here in town. He's the one that I think so highly of, and is a PING ex-tour pro.

For 'commodity' items (balls, gloves, tees, etc.) I'll go to either Golfsmith, or Edwin Watts. EW more lately though, they're nice folks, and just a few blocks from the house.

Back