getting re-fitted for the driver

wawabau

Dark Lord of Sith
Reaction score
Handicap
So after reading about the benefits of getting fitted, I went in to get a driver fitting a couple months ago and went home with the 910D2 9.5* with the Motore F3 70g shaft in stiff. It is actually is one of the 'default' combo for the 910 series here in Hong Kong if you just buy it off the rack. The shop I went to had a launch monitor (or simulator? sorry but I don't know much about the machines) that basically gave the clubhead speed, ball spin etc. Long story short, the guy said my launch angle was too high (forgot what it was) and I had too much spin on the ball. My SS was around 103 if I remember correctly. Anyway, I practiced and played a lot with this club that I was supposedly fitted for and have yet to hit consecutive good drives with it.

My normal ball flight was a fade and the misses were slices. I have taken a few lessons after I got the driver and have been hitting all my other clubs straighter. The coach said while my swing is not perfect my drives should all be in play. But I struggle to find the fairway - many of the drives were weak slices, and when I do hit it in the middle, the shot feels weak and I never hit it past 220. I know a lot of it is still my swing, but I could almost hit my 3 hybrid just as far and much straighter. In fact, I even shot my best round of 92 after hitting just 5 fairways one time.

Anyway, I went to another shop and got fitted for my irons last week. The fitter this time seems to be a lot more knowledgeable, and they got the Flightscope machine. He gave me a much more detailed analysis of my swing and fitted me with the KBS 90 shafts in regular. I know iron shaft flexes don't necessarily correspond to those of driver shafts, but I can't help thinking if I got a bad fitting for my driver. I asked the new fitter about this, and with just my iron numbers in hand, he believes there's no way I could consistently hit the Motore F3 in stiff. He asked me to bring my driver in and he'll check my numbers for me for free, but a re-shaft might be in order.

I'd be pretty upset if I need to get refitted for something that's still so new, but I'd rather just bite the bullet and actually have something that works for my swing. I'm wondering how many of you ever got re-fitted for your clubs? Sorry for being so long-winded....

My swing has changed a LOT recently and I was fitted again for all of my clubs after playing clubs fit to me for less than a year. Yes it's expensive and yes that sucks, but it'll lower your scores.

Tempo, timing, tapping.

This last sentence is what stands out to me......I'd be pretty upset if I need to get refitted for something that's still so new, but I'd rather just bite the bullet and actually have something that works for my swing. I'm wondering how many of you ever got re-fitted for your clubs? Sorry for being so long-winded....

I would be more upset to shoot several strokes higher than I should if I simply had to replace a shaft in the driver to lower the scores. With the fitter offering to check you out for free you have nothing to lose. You can alway recoup some of the expense of a new shaft by selling the old shaft on the bay. I say go for the fitting and please let us know how it goes.

My swing has changed a LOT recently and I was fitted again for all of my clubs after playing clubs fit to me for less than a year. Yes it's expensive and yes that sucks, but it'll lower your scores.
Yeah I have changed my swing quite a bit too and am more consistent with my other clubs. I'm almost scared to pull the driver out now, it's frustrating.

I would be more upset to shoot several strokes higher than I should if I simply had to replace a shaft in the driver to lower the scores. With the fitter offering to check you out for free you have nothing to lose. You can alway recoup some of the expense of a new shaft by selling the old shaft on the bay. I say go for the fitting and please let us know how it goes.
good point... I'll probably go in some time next week and see if it's all in my swing/head instead of with the shaft.

An update on this: I went in for a re-fitting at the shop with the flightscope for the re-fitting yesterday and I felt would have saved a lot of money by going to this shop in the first place. First off, my SS is NOT 103 mph according to the shop where I had my first fitting done; it averaged around 93. It is much closer to what I thought my SS should be, considering my better drives go around 250-260 and my 7-iron go about 150. Second, the shaft that I have in my driver/3-wood (Motore F3 70g in stiff) is way too heavy and its flex characteristics just don't for my swing. I couldn't get the shaft to "load" at all, and was casting my club with my swing and spraying my drives all over the place. We tested quite a few shafts including the Graphite Design ones, the non-Titleist versions of the Diamanas, and the Speeder among others.

At the end of the day, I was fitted with the Tour AD DI-6 in stiff. Boy it's an expensive shaft (around $300 US and I got it for both my driver and 3-wood, ouch!) but my my numbers are so much better with this shaft comparing to everything else I tried. I can't wait to get to get the clubs back tonight and try them at the range. I hope it's money well spent and definitely an expensive lesson learned in terms of finding the right place to do the fitting.

Hey mate, can you shoot me a message and let me know who you recommend for the shaft fitting in HK? Cheers!

Back